Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-
So I currently have an older Lawnboy 824 snowblower which runs decently other than backfiring some and just has never thrown the snow very far especially to the left. I replaced the belts and even brought it in and they said they found no issue with it....

well I live on a main drag with two lanes going both directions therefore the end of our driveway gets to be pretty bad and often gets hard pretty quick as it's one of the first roads to get plowed.

So getting to my question: I know people have recommended adding a impeller kit to the blower, but I'm sick of working on the blower and taking it in to a shop is often expensive too!

So that being said, if I were to buy a new/used blower what would be some things to look for, brands, HP, clearing path..etc? My driveway is about 50 feet by 16 feet.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jess.
I would definitively recommend you look at the Ariens Sno Tek line, they are the least expensive Ariens line but they have very favourable reviews here and other sites. If you want more features on a new snowblower but more expensive then you can check Honda,Ariens,Simplicity,Toro etc.
A 20" or 24" wide bucket would suffice for this size entrance but again not knowing where you live could change recommendations as you could possibly get by with a single stage.

Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
hello jess, welcome to SBF!! how old is your lawnboy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi guys!
First off, thanks for the responses! I suppose knowing where I live would be helpful :) I'm in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area so we usually get decent snow :)

As far as the year of my lawnboy I don't know. I'll attach a pic, otherwise is there a way for me to find out on the blower itself?

Thanks again

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Possibly the I D label is at lower, left corner. Right behind the left wheel.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
hi guys!
First off, thanks for the responses! I suppose knowing where I live would be helpful :) I'm in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area so we usually get decent snow :)

As far as the year of my lawnboy I don't know. I'll attach a pic, otherwise is there a way for me to find out on the blower itself?

Thanks again
That is an early 1980's rebadge Gilson made Lawnboy. I say put an impeller kit in it and see if it improves the snow throwing ability. Since you live in Minnesota go to Mills fleet or TSC and buy about 1 foot of bailer belt. Follow the advice found here on the forum and it will really improve the snow throwing ability. If the engine is stumbling you could repower too. If so get and 11 hp HF 346cc Predator. It will throw snow to the next zip code with that.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
For an 8/24 I would say the 212cc Predator would be more than enough. In addition to the impeller kit you could try changing out the engine pulley to try and get a little more rpm out of the impeller.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That is an early 1980's rebadge Gilson made Lawnboy. I say put an impeller kit in it and see if it improves the snow throwing ability. Since you live in Minnesota go to Mills fleet or TSC and buy about 1 foot of bailer belt. Follow the advice found here on the forum and it will really improve the snow throwing ability. If the engine is stumbling you could repower too. If so get and 11 hp HF 346cc Predator. It will throw snow to the next zip code with that.
They no longer offer the 11hp 346cc. You could get lucky an find a store with old stock. Harbor freight options for this blower would be:

6.5hp 212cc for $99 with 20% off coupon

8hp 301cc for $185 with 20% off coupon

I'm waiting for someone on here to try the 301cc, I bet it's closer to 9.5-10hp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
wow!

Thanks for the great responses! So you guys think this old girl is worth putting more money into eh?!?! What would an overhaul consist of and is it something this female wrencher can handle?!? ;)

Baler belt from Fleet Farm eh? I tried finding it on their website but no luck finding it.....

Thanks EVERYONE :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
predator engine swaps are usually simple. I'm doing one right now on my 2008 TB Storm 2410. Just waiting for the new pulleys

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
If the only issue with the engine is occasional backfiring we probably don't need to be putting a new engine on it right this minute...

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
A valve job may resolve this, if you are willing.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
A valve job may resolve this, if you are willing.
I would not waste my money trying to fix the old flathead. The old Briggs is not as efficient as a modern OHV and will use more gasoline and will pollute the environment more than the modern engine too. I have not been too impressed with old flat heads and buggy carburetors like the old updrafts carburetors

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I would not waste my money trying to fix the old flathead. The old Briggs is not as efficient as a modern OHV and will use more gasoline and will pollute the environment more than the modern engine too. I have not been too impressed with old flat heads and buggy carburetors like the old updrafts carburetors
With no disrespect, it is up to the owner to determine the level that they want to do wither machine. While i will respect those that chose to jumps o replacing the engine, there are some moments that repairing may be cheaper or less labor intensive. But that depends on the owner.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Thanks for the great responses! So you guys think this old girl is worth putting more money into eh?!?! What would an overhaul consist of and is it something this female wrencher can handle?!? ;)

Baler belt from Fleet Farm eh? I tried finding it on their website but no luck finding it.....

Thanks EVERYONE :)
A small engine repair shop charges to preform a valve job is going to cost way more money than replacing the engine. The owner will have to decide if it is worth throwing several hundred dollars into a 30+ year old engine that could be in need of more than just replacing 2 valves. It could need a new cam shaft too and new rings ect. I would recommend a new engine over paying a shop lots of money to fix a old rather antiquated flat head. PS I do know what I am talking about too since I have worked on
Small engines before. I say she should cut her losses and either replace the old engine or put her money into a new machine such as a Snowtek by Ariiens.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If can't find bailer belt.. I use pieces of mud flap. Most are thinner now but have fiberglass backing. I myself use them double thick and glue the fiberglass backing to each other before install. Not sure helps or necessary but what I do. Otherwise trucking company has HD flaps, but way pricey. Look around for the bailer stuff or get off *bay if you can't find local. On the motor.. I'd throw another on (1/2 hour job) either new one or good used. If buy used.. hear it running first. The blower is worth fixing as it was built back when they used heavy steel and not plastic bearings. Just my humble opinion. I would start with sanding down smooth any rust in the impeller area and esspecually chute area. paint inside area.. then add the clearance kit or make one. Make sure the 8hp on it is running right and full throttle when running, then see if that helps. Should blow 20-25 feet impeller kit or slightly more if motor is running right as well as no belt slippage- Geno

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
A small engine repair shop charges to preform a valve job is going to cost way more money than replacing the engine. The owner will have to decide if it is worth throwing several hundred dollars into a 30+ year old engine that could be in need of more than just replacing 2 valves. It could need a new cam shaft too and new rings ect. I would recommend a new engine over paying a shop lots of money to fix a old rather antiquated flat head. PS I do know what I am talking about too since I have worked on
Small engines before. I say she should cut her losses and either replace the old engine or put her money into a new machine such as a Snowtek by Ariiens.
Valid points. But a new engine may result in additional fabrication, to ensure proper fitment. If she is willing, she could do the tear down and valve job, herself. And while I understand that the mechanical knowledge of the populace, is not quite what it was, it is still within their ability with a little research and confidence.

And while, I did not intend to express any doubt in your knowledge or experience, I merely just wanted to express a different opinion on another possible approach to this situation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ah man, now you guys have me thoroughly confused on what to do ;) I love the thought of saving money but at the same time is it worth the time and effort, etc?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts