Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a source for reasonably priced replacement bearings? I need to replace the brass plain bearing on my Toro 824 and the prices I'm finding are in the $ 60.00 range, bit pricey for a simple bearing !

·
Registered
294 Posts
i have been ordering from this place for years....never had any problems.....

·
Registered
294 Posts
not positive but i think your part is #26 here......

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have been ordering from this place for years....never had any problems.....

Thanks jerryvvv that's exactly what I was looking for, I'll check them out !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what is is for bearing for? princess auto carries some and are reasonably priced enough. i just don't know how well it would hold up vs a bushing
Thanks crazzywolfie, that could be an option but I'm hoping I can just buy a regular bushing, the one at the site jerryvvv mentioned doesn't look the same but has the part number I have. the bearing is for the drive shaft.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered the part brand new from the Toro dealer, cost was $ 65.00
I new the original brass bearing was worn but until I saw the new one I had no idea just how worn out it was, I thought the deep groove around the shaft was a recess from the factory but it appears it was created by the shims, as seen in the photos with the mounting holes aligned you can see just how egg shaped the worn part is, this new bearing is made of steel, should have a working transmission now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what are the new ones made of? are they still brass or are they something else?
I took a file to it it's definitely steel, has me wondering about a few things, like should I still use the shims, is it softer steel than the driveshaft and if I should drill and tap some threads for a grease fitting etc, considering the wear on the brass piece I wonder if Toro decided it was too soft and went with a steel bearing.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
if it is steel i would be hesitant to use it and would consider returning it especially with what you paid. steel on steel will cause both the bushing and the impeller shaft to wear which is why your old bushing is brass. the brass will take all the wear

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
You sure that new one is not aluminum ?

I agree, I doubt any manufacturer would put hardened steel against hardened steel. Disaster waiting to happen.

I second crazy's comment.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You sure that new one is not aluminum ?

I agree, I doubt any manufacturer would put hardened steel against hardened steel. Disaster waiting to happen.

I second crazy's comment.
I've worked with very hardened aluminum before but when I took a triangle file to the piece it doesn't file like aluminum, I have a few options yet but for now I think I'll trust the engineers have chosen a softer material than the driveshaft and keep a close eye on it for wear.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if it is steel i would be hesitant to use it and would consider returning it especially with what you paid. steel on steel will cause both the bushing and the impeller shaft to wear which is why your old bushing is brass. the brass will take all the wear
I would agree, I'm thinking since the machine is in such good condition maybe the choice of brass was the wrong choice considering the excessive wear so they went with steel, I'm trusting the engineers but it could be a long shot, these bearings all share the same part number I never considered it wouldn't be made of brass, either way we'll see what happens after it has some time put on it, I may end up having a machinist drill it out and install a brass bushing.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
there is nothing wrong with brass but obviously bearings are better which is why most new machines use bearing instead of bushings. for what you paid i would have looked for a bearing to do the job.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Yeah, I would have thought twice before paying that amount for that piece ... I probably would have purchased a real bearing with the ID of the shaft, probably for under 10.00, and made my own casing for it.

Or better yet, something like this, 12.99 free shipping ::

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
seems like a heck of alot for that part,

what is the part number?.....i would have looked on amazon for it
Yeah it's too pricey for sure, I looked online and found one on ebay for $ 27 but then you have the insane shipping cost of $ 33 so it's not really worth it. I'd rather give local business my money.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Is it possible the new bushing is a sintered iron material?

Reactions: ~smokey~
1 - 20 of 21 Posts