Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I am looking to purchase an aftermarket carb for an old toro 3650 I picked up. eBay offers a bunch of cheap ones is one any better than the rest? OEM carbs are over a hundred and I don't know if the machine is worth the expense

·
Registered
279 Posts
I cannot speak to a carb on a snowblower, but I bought a cheapo from Amazon for a lawn mower and it is still running fine after 3 years. I think I paid $25.

I suspected a bad float on the original carb... I could have bought just the float, but was not positive that was the problem. I deferred to the complete cheapo carb and take a chance. So far, so good.
YMMV

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
I have not encountered a plastic carb as of yet.

I usually get the ones that sell for 10.50 - 15.00, with free shipping I may add, .... they work just fine for me.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Are the 40 dollar ones better than the 20 dollar ones? This unit has a plastic carb and it leaks
The plastic carb was a problem with the Toro , they actually had a recall at one time because of leaking .
Look those 2 carbs over careful and check the reviews but I'm betting the guy selling the $40 one is just making more money 😋

·
Registered
47 Posts
The carb on my Toro 2450 got gunked up so I picked up an ebay one for 12.50. I installed it as soon as I got it and the thrower ran great. I did, however, clean up the stock carb really well and reinstalled it to see if I got it clean and in good working order. The machine ran just as well and I left it on. I cleaned up the cheapo carb and will use it as a back-up if I ever need it. I'm surprised they can make these things and sell them as cheap as they do and have them work surprisingly well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The plastic carb was a problem with the Toro , they actually had a recall at one time because of leaking .
Look those 2 carbs over careful and check the reviews but I'm betting the guy selling the $40 one is just making more money 😋
I ordered one from eBay it is shipping out of New Jersey and it includes free shipping. The vendor had a good rating. The carb also included a new fuel line, filter and gas shutoff all for 20 dollars.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Toss the fuel line, filter and gas shut off in the garbage, they are crap quality and will just cause issues.
Gas shut off will start leaking within a couple of months, ask me how I know:cautious:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I’ve used those carbs and other Chinese carbs before, fuel line fuel filter and spark plugs are usually all junk, I would recommend you check the gas tank as well many ccr2450 and ccr3650 models have cracked gas tanks and there was a recall for this as well

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Will do. I already put a new fuel line on. Did you have good luck with the carb?
Yes, the carb has been working fine for 3 years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve used those carbs and other Chinese carbs before, fuel line fuel filter and spark plugs are usually all junk, I would recommend you check the gas tank as well many ccr2450 and ccr3650 models have cracked gas tanks and there was a recall for this as well
The gas tank seems to be ok, the gas is leaking from the bottom of the plastic carb. Local small engine guy said I should just replace the float and needle and that should solve the leak

·
Registered
362 Posts
I’ve replaced the plastic carb on 3650 with eBay 20 metal carb no problem. By the way toro put a rubber band on intake manifold to hold nuts in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
362 Posts
You’d think it would but Ususlly rubber band will be hard and brittle but used during assembly process to keep nuts in place . I’ve taken many old ccr3650 plastic carbs off . I never replace band as I can hold the nut with my other hand.
Just my 2 cents. Also when you replace carb the gov linkage and the kill wire go into the fan case and are near each other. Make sure that the kill wire doesn’t rub the linkage or it will run erratic.

·
Registered
362 Posts
plastic carbs????????

is this a respectable group or wut?

Here is an old one puteh. The shafts are even plastic. Only metal is bowl screws, throttle plates and float needle and pin and main jet. Float is cork with metal hinge pin attached

I think accounting won over engineering. The plastic carbs deform
I seen them leak I’ve seen throttle shaft bind Ive seen throttle plate bind all from deformity of the plastic
Cost toro some $ in recall but many peeps or dealers forget to fill register out warranty registration so wasn’t a big effort on toros part to do the repairs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts