Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a very low used 2007 Ariens ST724E model 932046 Snow Blower with a 7hp Tecumseh engine which I purchased new. Ran fine when new but over the years Ive had to clean the carb due to letting the gas sit to long. The first few years I was able to just drain gas, clean and it would run fine, but a several years ago that just did not work any more and it became hard to start and ran rough. So I started serching for a good replacement carb and wanted one that was adjustable but I was unable to find a quality one for the 7hp engine? So after some research on the web I decided to try an adjustable oregon carb that was for 8 to 10 hp engine and was Identical looking to the OEM carb ( which is much easier to find than the 7hp) and it ran and still runs fine but it finally snowed enough to try it out (after a couple of very dry winters) We had a very heavy wet spring type snow and the snowblower was really struggling and bogging which it never did before. I also had recently done an impeller mod.
So my question is. Is it bogging because of the carburetor (not being for a 7hp) or from the impeller mod. Like I said the machine starts and runs fine until you put a load on it.
Side note my Honda single stage 520 handled the heavy snow and ice great only having to push it in some of the drifts. ( Fantastic single stage ) upstaging the Ariens 2 stage. I only keep the Ariens around for larger seldom snow storms. So hopfully I can get it running as it should.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i would check the tension on the belt before diving into tuning the carb for the engine.. it runs fine untill there a load.. knnowing you have a bigger than what should be there carb on it.. it might need some searching for which hole to us on the linkages of the gorvernor.. it miught be opening more than the original.. thus letting in more air-gas mix... more than the engine can handle while coping with the load given.. thus bogging easier?? or maybe its set too lean for the engine when its under load..

is it the engine making a different noise?? is it still throwing snow?? or is the least little load trying to stall it out??

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Probably the carb, try enriching slightly, 1/8 turn. You may need to take the carb apart and use a welders tip cleaner to enlarge the holes or a micro drill set to enlarge. One of the most important holes to enlarge is behind the side Welch plug even though the carb is new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would check the tension on the belt before diving into tuning the carb for the engine.. it runs fine untill there a load.. knnowing you have a bigger than what should be there carb on it.. it might need some searching for which hole to us on the linkages of the gorvernor.. it miught be opening more than the original.. thus letting in more air-gas mix... more than the engine can handle while coping with the load given.. thus bogging easier?? or maybe its set too lean for the engine when its under load..

is it the engine making a different noise?? is it still throwing snow?? or is the least little load trying to stall it out??
Thank you for your reply. It is trying to stall the engine. I will check the belt tension and if we get some more snow I can try playing with the gov. spring.

·
2,394 Posts
welcome to the SBF
your duplicate threads have been merged into one, with the duplicate post removed . try retuning the mixture when the motor is warmed fully, check your belts for proper tension

good luck

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
There is also the potential issue that the venturi in the carb for higher HP is not getting enough airflow from the 7 to be able to draw enough fuel for full power. Myself, I'd go back to the original and clean it correctly and completely and it should be as good as new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Ill give it a try next winter I believe the snow is about done for us now.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
The 7hp carbs, don't they have the choke on top? A nylon stick? I've found them on Amazon and ebay in the past.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Hard to say . . . all the 7's I have owned have been a metal choke shaft and a metal level extending out over the carb throat, as on tne 10,000 series (but did see one Toro coming outnthe top). I guess the bottom line there is "it varies" . . .

·
Registered
667 Posts
Be sure your carb is opening up all the way...with the engine off and the throttle set to fast..be sure the carb is opening fully.
With the engine cold ...will it run without the choke..if so its rich...if the engine takes to long to "warm' then its lean.
You just may have a linkage issue going on..Is the hole in the same place on the new carb for the governor linkage ?
Is your main adjustable?..if stalling is sudden upon load equals usually lean..if it carries on a while gets 'mushy' or starts to smoke before stalling out its rich

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts