Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 year old Ariens 2 stage snowblower that I can’t seem to get the gas cap open. It opened fine this past winter when using it, but when I wanted to remove the leftover gas to store it for summer I couldn’t remove the gas cap. I tried pushing down when turning the cAP but the gas cap spins and I can feel it clicking on something as it spins.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine (2019 platinum SHO) was an SOB to turn right from the day I got it. There’s a gasket between it and the tank. I put a little silicone grease on the gasket and it turns like a normal cap now. I just pulled mine off and looked at the underside. There’s a single hole in the center (looks like the vent), and two outside rivers (that looks like they hold the inner metal cap that engages with the top of the metal tank). My GUESS without seeing it is you may have broken the two outside rivets, and the cap is spinning on the vent. Guessing after you figure a way to get it off, you’ll need a new cap?

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
A thought: If you try turning it with water pump plyers it might catch the inner cap. Squeeze the plyers as little as possible trying not to break it. Then either replace or repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally pried the red cap off with a screw driver and was able to remove the white gas cap underneath with a pipe wrench. After removing the gas cap I was able to replace the white gas cap and press the Red cap back on. It works now but I will need to replace the gas cap with a new one before next winter. Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Me thinks you're letting up on the cap when it makes contact with the inner tab. Try again but this time when you push down/rotate the cap, when you feel it coming in contact, push down harder whilst turning and maintain that pressure so the cap "ramp" doesn't just slide over the tube tab.

Think of it like a child-proof cap--you have to push down harder to get past that "restriction"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts