Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Been looking for a new snowblower for a bit. Finally had to retire my old Lawn Boy ST824 with a Tecumseh HM80 engine after over 25 years!

Decided on an Ariens but unsure of model. We're located in MN so we typically get alot of snow but not the last few years.

Was looking at Craigslist and came across a sweet 926 LE that looks brand new.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/grd/d/ariens-926-le-snowblower/6659973512.html

Guy won't budge on the price. Am I crazy for considering buying this 12 year old unit over a brand new Compact or Classic 24?

Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
that ariens is way overpriced. it's worth 550 max in the winter, j wouldn't pay more then 400 considering its summer. if I were you I would be looking for an older st824. you should be able to pick up a nice one for around 200 this time of year. for example here are a couple models I found in your area that are excellent deals. if I were you I would wait a month or so there are always deals to be had.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/for/d/ariens-st824-snow-blower/6671946137.html

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/grd/d/ariens-deluxe-28-shocc-two/6642616278.html

·
Registered
947 Posts

he just retired an old st824, why would he want another one?

if its as nice looking in person as it is in the pics get the LE and take the wife or S.O. out for a nice evening with the savings

the price is a little high but its not highway robbery.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
Guy won't budge on the price. Am I crazy for considering buying this 12 year old unit over a brand new Compact or Classic 24?

:welcome: to SBF mnpikey

Crazy is literally a state of mind. What one person is willing to pay someone else would think way too much and others a steal. Looking around on Criagslist in this area it looks like that one is a little high compared to others but it also looks to be in really nice shape with almost all it's paint still in great shape. There is a value to that. OR you could get the $150 dollar one and do some sanding, priming and painting but you have to put a lot of time into it taking it apart and reassembling it along with the prep and paint if you want to end up with something nice looking. If you don't care if it looks like a beater the $150 might be the way to go.
If you don't have tools, skills or room new is nice as it has a warranty and you can just take it back to the dealer. There are pros and cons to going either way just depends on your needs and abilities.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The 2 newer 28s are less powerfull then then the 926 le that has 318cc ohv tec same cc as when its rated 11,5 hp its a solid 10hp motor

254cc is not sho
both28s have the 21 high bucket
the 926 has the 23.5 tall bucket
all 3 are over priced
the newest 28 has cast iron gear box and auto turn much better then the other 28
the non auto turn alum gearbox under powered 28 is not as good as the 926 for sure

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The 926LE with the double auger/impeller pulley setup is a real heavy duty machine. If it doesn't currently have the upgrade, it can be very easily done for about $50. I highly recommend that machine. It throws snow a "mile" even without the impeller seal mod.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'm sure it's an excellent machine. My thoughts on pricing are based on the fact that is still available. I know it's the wrong time of season, but the official end of summer starts this week. (state fair) Nearly 3 weeks is a long time on Craigslist.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info everyone!

I offered the guy $600 last weekend and he said no. Maybe I'll try again in a couple weeks if it's still available or wait for another to show up on Craigslist. Classic 24 would be my other choice but nothing bigger. I have some time.....

·
Registered
871 Posts
walk away, you got tunnel vision. theres always something better down the road, its not like theyre rare or something.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone!

I offered the guy $600 last weekend and he said no. Maybe I'll try again in a couple weeks if it's still available or wait for another to show up on Craigslist. Classic 24 would be my other choice but nothing bigger. I have some time.....

If you don't want to go larger than 24" (I'm assuming for maneuverability/storage space reasons), then what features are you looking for?

Mine is a 10hp 24" Ariens Pro, from around 2000. It has a differential, which makes turning it really easy. But it's still 2-wheel-drive, unlike machines with the simpler system where you pull a pin to make them run as 1-wheel-drive, but easier to turn. Those give up half their traction, in exchange for maneuverability.

Ariens now has their Auto-Turn system, which in theory, at least, is better still. It locks the wheels together when going straight, then unlocks them when you try to turn, letting you pivot. My differential does, unfortunately, mean that if one wheel gets onto ice, and starts to spin, then I stop moving, since power isn't transferred to the other wheel. I *can* lock the differential together for really tough conditions, but I usually leave it unlocked and active, since it makes the machine much easier to handle.

Some levels of machines will include more chute-control features, or more easy-turning features. Or more powerful engines. Are there specific things that you're looking for?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guy said he sold for full asking price so I'll keep looking! The Platinum 24" SHO looks like a nice machine.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts