Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Ariens 30 delux
Drive way clean up is fine. Machine is a beast but my mistake that I let the snow accumulate on sid of house bit too close to house. Now I am worried about spring flooding so using the snow blower to attack this snow. It is 3 feet at some places , light at top but heavy at bottom.
I put SB in 3rd gear and slam it to this snow wall and it does the trick and then go half bucket but many times I have to advance with bucket full of snow.
another problem is that around the house , field is graded so some times SB gets stuck in the deep snow, I have to struggle to pull it out in reverse.I am applying lots of muscle power to help SB reverse sometimes. Also when I go downhill and ram the SB into deep snow sometimes SB front is lifted to a point that handle bar almost touch the ground. I read that SB should not be tilted that way else oil in crankcase will not be level.
Engine seems to do fine but just wanted to see if I am not abusing the machine. I go forceful into snow, I go down, I go up, I let wheels deep burried in snow where they dont turn anymor, I go side tilted position..
Am I causing long term issues?

Registered
You don't buy one of these to blow dry your hair. Now as far as abuse goes, are you comfortable with how you are using it. Or do you think maybe a heavier more powerful machine would fill your needs better. Other than that, there is no sweeter sound than a machine that is Working It !!!!!!!!馃槣

Registered
some times SB gets stuck in the deep snow, I have to struggle to pull it out in reverse.I am applying lots of muscle power to help SB reverse sometimes.
That's where tracks help out a lot... But you can also take shorter bites and back out sooner to minimize the effort.

Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
I've never felt the need to "slam" my blower into anything, but then again, I dom't have your yard.

Slow and steady has always been my "Git 'er done", and backing when the bucket climbs and advancing again. As you have already noted, feeding only part bucket when deep does work well.

Registered
Honda HSS724 & Honda HS720
Machine is a beast but my mistake that I let the snow accumulate on sid of house bit too close to house
Your issue is not the amount of snow; rather, having left it accumulate. The snow at the bottom becomes compressed. Have you had a thaw and freeze? It is likely solid ice.

Ideally the areas you wish to keep clear, should be cleared within a reasonable amount of time after a snowfall. I have a tracked Honda and tried to clear a new area near my shed yesterday for a wood delivery. Not a chance. It is not a snowbank. It is an ice bank. By blower has mowed through 3 to 4 foot drifts all season.

Registered
If you run the nose uphill with the handlebars nearly scraping the pavement, ... you're messing up!
Theres a whole lot of SB engines awaiting recycling because somebody let the auger bucket go vertical.
You'll know when that happens.
Slamming into anything and spinning stuck wheels will make you a Belt, Disc or Chain replacement frequent flyer.

Registered
To me it sounds like you are causing undue stress on your machine.

They were not meant to be rammed into stuff or operated at 50-degree angles.

Key here is to clear that area while you're doing each storm clean up, and not let it sit for days or weeks, or until it accumulates over 3 or 4 feet, and then decide to hack into it. And no wheeled blower is easily going to walk up a house slope of walkout basement up to entry level first floor and driveway.

Maybe post a photo of the side house incline?

Registered
Patience and finesse seem to be lacking.

Edit - I would dice things up a bit with a shovel like this before taking a SB into it.

Registered
I go forceful into snow, I go down, I go up, I let wheels deep burried in snow where they dont turn anymor, I go side tilted position..
Am I causing long term issues?
Sounds like a confession of abuse. Do you need a pardon or forgiveness?

Otherwise, sounds like standard operating procedure for early retirement. Just make sure you allot funds towards parts and repairs, and a good shovel while the machine is under repair.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for inputs folks.. I will replay to some of the posts in one go
I am in wide open Country so no pavements ( thankfully so) .
New homeowner. Transitioned from apartment living to Acreage. Never even shoveled snow ever before this let go the Snow blowing.
Not lazy either . Just we did not realize the power of mother nature. Since the snow started in mid Nov. We kept the driveway clean and around 10 feet all sides of house. If we had gone 20 feet around the house since day 1 , I wouldn't be in trouble now. So we cleared 10 feet each side and then there was more snow and then more snow. Now snow is piling up and we feel that if it floods during thaw , water will reach near the house so trying to make more 10 feet in this pile all around. That is the problem.
You can see the pictures below...you can make out where snow is and how I am eating into it. Problem is the grading. The snow appears flat from top but I am I am going down actually. Not too much incline but sufficient for SB to get jammed at the end. and when reversing . Oh boy I had to even lift the entire thing a couple of times from the handles and dragged it out. I did not want to ruin the machine so asked advise here.
Sky Cloud Snow Natural landscape Tree

Sky Snow Natural landscape Branch Tree

Sky Cloud Snow Plant Nature

Registered
Honda HSS724 & Honda HS720
I think you may be over analyzing the need to keep the snow clear from your home. I have 6 feet of snow next to my house. I clear alot of snow, includuing various paths to my two sheds.

Is the land sloped toward the house? Do you have flooding in the house when it rains? If negative to these queries, you do not need to be clearing all that snow next to your home.

The snow maniacs on here clear half their yard: path to the compost pile, wood shed, bird feeders, outhouse, dog run. etc etc. Mostly for functional reasons, including clearing storm drains, but also soothing our snow clearing OCD.

Registered
Well, ... I guess with the "New Normal" happening. If there's a Blizzard on Tuesday, dumping 17-inches of snow about and 63-degrees with heavy rain on the weekend, ... I'd be out there sno-blowing the lawn!

Registered
take shorter bites and back out sooner to minimize the effort.
I agree, no point in struggling, blowers get heavier as the day progresses.
Water likes to take the easiest route possible, a pathway to a lower landscape area may be enough for you. I do this myself in 2 areas to prevent a winter rain water build up.

Reactions: Ziggy65

Registered
I think you may be over analyzing the need to keep the snow clear from your home. I have 6 feet of snow next to my house. I clear alot of snow, includuing various paths to my two sheds.

Is the land sloped toward the house? Do you have flooding in the house when it rains? If negative to these queries, you do not need to be clearing all that snow next to your home.

The snow maniacs on here clear half their yard: path to the compost pile, wood shed, bird feeders, outhouse, dog run. etc etc. Mostly for functional reasons, including clearing storm drains, but also soothing our snow clearing OCD.
Some of us "snow maniacs" like an excuse to keep using our snow blowers. So we find ways to keep using our snow blowers ...until all the snow as been blown. Then we look like the crazy neighbor because we are the crazy neighbor. 馃槑 We also spend some of our free time on websites dedicated to snow blowers - so theirs that too.馃

1 - 20 of 31 Posts