Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did not say I don't own one, I just don't use it.
I keep it charged, but not powered on.
I take it on trips and rent a sat phone when I go on extreme adventure trips.
I turned it on today to check my call log and the last call was on 11 March 2014.
In fact my cell phone is as old as my newest vehicle, a 2000 GMC.

I remember walking into a restaurant a few weeks ago and a large family (10-12 people) came in and as soon as they sat down, each and every one of them had their faces buried in their phones and hardly said any words to each other.
When did people stop talking to each other? I wanted to walk over there and drop all their phones into the lobster tank and say "you'll thank me later".

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
i don't have a land line, it got screwed up when at&t installed the dsl line

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I have a landline and answering machine. No Need for an "Electronic Leash."

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
My wife and I avoided cell phones as long as we could. We had no cell phones, and just one land-line phone at the house, until about 4 years ago.

What tripped the balance was one summer evening, I was away at my Garden railroad club meeting until 9pm, Deb was home with the cats in the backyard, one of our cats jumped the fence to chase off another neighboorhood cat..they ran into the street, neighbor cat crossed safely, but our cat did a barrel roll underneath a moving pickup truck, then ran off and hid. Deb couldnt find him, and didnt know if he was hurt or not..she searched for 30 minutes..finally the cat came out of hiding, thankfully unhurt.

But, before the cat appeared, Deb was panicking, and she had absolutely no way to reach me..that did it, we got cell phones.

Now we each have a phone, and we got rid of the land line..no reason to have it anymore. We pay a total of $80 a month for both phones and lines combined, which is more expensive than the land-line, but waaaaay cheaper than most people pay.

I still talk as much on the phone as I ever have, about 10 minutes a month, and I keep the 4g data turned off unless I need it, which is seldom. I mainly use the phone for texting my wife! ;) we text back and forth quite a lot during the work week, its actually quite handy. We basically dont touch our phones at all during the weekends. We have unlimited "talk" minutes and texts included in the plan, Deb talks to her mom on the phone about an hour a week..i talk to my mom about 10 minutes a month..I would say we use the phones 85% for texting, 10% for talking, and almost never for data...the portability is very handy though..and we did use the data a lot on vacation! Having a map in your pocket, that always knows exactly where you are and can tell you how to get anywhere else, is incredibly handy. And finding out where gas stations are, resturants, etc. You have the internet with you at all times. Very nice when you need it.

Also, I work in IT, and I do need the phone for work, for connecting to the work VPN and other random things..

So, im glad I have it! Im not glued to it constantly, but it is definately useful..

Scot

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm not very fond of cell phones either. I dislike most social media. So, I see no need for a smart one. I hate texting too. It's more difficult to multitask while reading and typing, and it often takes more time than just calling somebody. It bothers me when I see everybody's faces buried in a phone everywhere I go, and there is also a certain freedom about not having a phone in your pocket that I miss.
But, I haven't had a land line in close to a decade...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My land line is still from the phone company and I still have a few working rotary dial phones around the house.
It's fun to watch the younger kids/nieces/nephews come over and try and use the rotary dial phone.
Last month I stopped in a convenience store and asked them where the payphone was and they looked at me like I was from another planet. They yanked them out a few
years back, so I just used the clerks cell phone.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Don't have 1, Don't want 1. I got a landline with voicemail. and that is all I need. because I like to disappear from everyone and everything for a while. otherwise people can leave me a E-mail.:eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k::eek:k:

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
don't have one.

everywhere you go people have there head down buried in their phone. people driving and talking/texting, people walking their dogs looking at their phone. everywhere.

daughter , son in law, and 2 grandkids came over Christmas morning to open presents and almost the whole time they were looking at their phones. i was disgusted .

it's a sickness.

i just don't get it. i'm a dinosaur and glad .

·
Banned
474 Posts
I remember walking into a restaurant a few weeks ago and a large family (10-12 people) came in and as soon as they sat down, each and every one of them had their faces buried in their phones and hardly said any words to each other.
When did people stop talking to each other? I wanted to walk over there and drop all their phones into the lobster tank and say "you'll thank me later".
We were at a high end restaurant for a family gathering where lots of the younger crowd were assembled. An early twenties couple were alone at a table next to us. The entire evening they each had their phones in front of them and their was no conversation heard apparently they were communicating via text back and forth. I just gave them the benefit of the doubt that they were deaf but who knows, it is what it is nowadays where the crowd has to sleep in line for the newest device, ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I have a dumb phone for business. Tough, waterproof. No data or internet, almost impossible to text on. Its for calls only. A fellow asked me if it was android.... I just smiled and told him it was a Biff A Da . He said whats that. I said about all it does is ring and you can Biff it at Da wall and it wont break. The world is texting addicts.Craziness.

·
Registered
842 Posts
orangputeh;1317657 everywhere you go people have there head down buried in their phone. people driving and talking/texting said:
if we were close enough to visit so you could see my neck,front and back plus my lower spine from a person texting while driving,head down crossing over a double yellow and hit me head on, 20 screws and 4 rods now hold my spine together
i think anyone seeing the aftereffects would join the not while driving phone blocker in cars group.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
if we were close enough to visit so you could see my neck,front and back plus my lower spine from a person texting while driving,head down crossing over a double yellow and hit me head on, 20 screws and 4 rods now hold my spine together
i think anyone seeing the aftereffects would join the not while driving phone blocker in cars group.
sorry to hear that . my life was changed forever in 1991 when an old lady impaired on legal prescription drugs turned left in front of me while I was riding my motorcycle and i hit her broadside at 55 mph.

broken pelvis, other broken bones, and brain surgery. not a day goes by for the last 26 years without after affects.......mainly headaches and pain.

there will always be stupid people ....and innocent people who have to pay for their stupidity.

·
Registered
842 Posts
sorry to hear that . my life was changed forever in 1991 when an old lady impaired on legal prescription drugs turned left in front of me while I was riding my motorcycle and i hit her broadside at 55 mph.

broken pelvis, other broken bones, and brain surgery. not a day goes by for the last 26 years without after affects.......mainly headaches and pain.

there will always be stupid people ....and innocent people who have to pay for their stupidity.
been there that way also in 1972, lady pulled right out of a parking spot and made a U turn right in front of me. dropped my harley side ways so the tires would soak up some of the shock, 45 mph ,i wore a body cast hips to arm pits for 6 months, talk about BO omg bad,
one never stops feeling the pain . cold and damp make it worse.now the screws and rods when they get a tiny bit cold it's worse .

i push myself to work, it's my way around pain 24/7/365

·
Registered
35 Posts
My brother and my mother both only have a land line. I have a cell, it's a vital link link for my business as a mobile mechanic for both getting in contact with customers and having internet access for service information on site, plus it acts as a work alone monitor and a GPS device to locate people/equipment. Outside of my work life I'm not particularly attached to it, not uncommon for me to ignore it or forget it somewhere and go a day or two without it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts