Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spotted this specimen being offered for peanuts last night and made arrangements to pick it up this morning.

It was listed as having a "broken sprocket in the differential that keeps the auger from spinning," and that it was best suited for parts. Oddly described, I know. It looked to be in pretty good condition cosmetically, so I figured that it would at least be an engine donor.

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

Its model # is 38083.

I brought it home, fired up the engine, squeezed the auger lever, and NADA.

There were no weird noises or burning smells with the auger lever engaged. The augers would not move. Neither would the impeller.

I took the belt cover off and....... good looking belts.

I looked again at the impeller and what do I see? A 1" branch that had lodged itself between the impeller and the bucket housing. I mean it was really wedged in there.

I was able to dislodge it with a long pry bar and a mallet. I tried engaging the augers again with the engine running and........ the gearbox appears to be ok! The augers move when they are called upon.

The bucket is decent and the scraper bar is decent too. It could probably use better skid shoes, but they are usable.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Road surface

I am eager to test it out tomorrow (my region is expecting up to a foot of snow) so that I can check to see if the gearbox is any good.

02/25 update: gearbox is good!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
those are great machines, good grab.

·
Super Moderator
6,915 Posts
i picked one up ( 824 powerthrow ) a few years ago for $120. cleaned the carb really good, added an impeller kit and poly skids. it goes through every thing we have had. weight wise it is not as heavy as my 824 powershift but just as heavy duty

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had one at a 2 unit we owned (there for one of the tenants to use). Had it for 3 or 4 years, got a fair amount of use and made money on it when we sold it (after getting out of the landlord biz).

Great machine. Especially with the tall chute.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have this same machine. Its a great little snow blower. Doesn't clog and throws far. Lightweight and maneuvers well. The small bucket is the only downfall, oh and peeling paint/rust typical of all blowers after the late 80s. Mine needs a carb rebuild, but those Tecumseh's are great for throwing snow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts