Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given an old Ariens (1966 I think) that squeaked a lot. I investigated and found that it had no bearing at all on the helicon pinion (driveshaft) at the clutch. (Amazing to me - all that was there was the outer race. Did someone imagine it was OK to take out the remains of a destroyed bearing and put it back together without replacing?) I installed the proper bearing and put it all back together. I used it for the first time last night and it has a strong vibration. Is it likely that the helicon pinion shaft is bent from the prior abuse? Perhaps the heavy jaw clutch is out of balance? What should I look at first here?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I was given an old Ariens (1966 I think) that squeaked a lot. I investigated and found that it had no bearing at all on the helicon pinion (driveshaft) at the clutch. (Amazing to me - all that was there was the outer race. Did someone imagine it was OK to take out the remains of a destroyed bearing and put it back together without replacing?) I installed the proper bearing and put it all back together. I used it for the first time last night and it has a strong vibration. Is it likely that the helicon pinion shaft is bent from the prior abuse? Perhaps the heavy jaw clutch is out of balance? What should I look at first here?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
When did you notice the vibration? Was it there when idling, or only when in drive, or only when the auger was engaged or some combination of the above? A bit more info will help people (especially ariens fans) to zero in on your problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vibration is only when the auger is engaged. When disengaged, it idles and drives around smoothly.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My thinking is the helicon ring and/or driveshaft where they meet might be toast (not in alignment or broken/worn from being used without that opposite end bearing supporting the shaft). Or maybe even the roll pin holding the ring is about to go.

My 922003 bucket, the roll pin holding the ring in place on the auger shaft broke into several pieces - the bucket "pounded" rather hard as a result prior to this. But when the attachment wasn't engaged...no problems at all.

·
Retired Moderator
9,928 Posts
:welcome: to SBF beandk

The frequency of the vibration is what might be the most helpful in tracking it down. Is it slow like the augers or fast like the impeller or faster like the engine ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure it's in the auger assembly; very slow but fairly heavy vibration. My thinking is leaning toward just replacing the whole augur assembly/thrower assembly/the whole darn thing. There is no shortage of old machines and junk parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I found a junk auger assembly and replaced the whole thing. I removed, basically, everything from the bucket (blades, right-angle drive, driveshaft) and put in a different old assembly. The new bearing in the bucket and the jaw clutch and its engaging lever and fork are the same as before. And the performance is the same as before: when the auger is engaged, there is a strong vibration (which makes steering the machine difficult) and its frequency relates to the speed of the auger and the engine, not the velocity of the machine. I suspect a problem with the jaw clutch - unbalanced? bent? interference with the engaging mechanism? Maybe I should check the engine side of the jaw clutch using an automotive timing strobe light? Ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Possibly the spindle/bearing housing/bearings etc. If it ain't the attachment, it has to be how power is transferred from the engine to the attachment.

In short, everything inside the tractor frame would I'd believe be the possible source - assuming the attachment housing itself is in good shape/alignment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I split it open and felt around and my suspicion falls on the spindle and its bearings in the tractor housing. There was a fair amount of play in the big pulley sheave at the front of the machine. Unfortunately, the factory "service manual" I have and Google have not been helpful in suggesting how I get that baby out and replace the bearings. Once the bearing housing is unbolted, it's just loose among the shafts of the transmission. Can someone provide some tips or a link to an economical approach to getting it out? A video perhaps? I'd rather not start taking off the wheels and axles without knowing what's going to work.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Reactions: Bondo 287

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Post Your Location. Someone may have an Auger Local to You.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you mean to point me to a thread? The link in your message pointed to one photo of an opened-up transmission. Good, as far as it goes, but I'd like some advice on the procedure to follow to get to the spindle bearings. Or, generally, to disassemble the transmission if there's no shortcut.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts