Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to take a moment to recognize the exceptional efforts by one of our members here on SBF to make, and keep, our forums a place for high quality informational, educational and entertaining exchanges for all who visit SBF.

We've all seen the repeated assault on our forums by those wanting us to fall for their uninvited solicitation to have smoother skin, skinnier waistlines, bulgier muscles, more manly behavior, and many have addressed those assaults by reporting the posts. One member stands out above all others in the continued efforts to keep SBF free of those nasty Spams.

So, in recognition of outstanding Spam catching and reporting, I'd like to present the first, (and possibly the last and only:p) Spampion award to knu2xs for his outstanding and relentless efforts to spot and report spam posts so that they can be banned and cleaned from our forums. Just so far in this month of March, knu2xs has spotted and reported 60 spam posts so they could be dealt with.

Congratulations knu2xs. Keep up the good work and, on behalf of the staff and members of SBF, let me say, thank you. Please accept this trophy as our token of appreciation. We hope you will display it proudly. Thanks too to everyone else who has spotted and reported spam posts. Because the vigilance of all of our members, SBF continues to be a place of positive communications among our members and guests.

spampion-small.png

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
You have to get up early or be on here late since they start popping up around 2am my time till about 8am and it would be earlier in the west.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
On another site I am on they stop them before they even have a chance to type out their spam.
They are never allowed to even join the group.
They are nuked from the start.

Maybe some kind of change in the approval process would eliminate most of them?:confused:

·
Registered
225 Posts
On another site I am on they stop them before they even have a chance to type out their spam.
They are never allowed to even join the group.
They are nuked from the start.

Maybe some kind of change in the approval process would eliminate most of them?:confused:
I had mentioned first post being subject to monitoring. I bet they could even be narrowed down for review by the time the account is created. Another option might be one of those fields where you have to copy the weird letters into a text field. Spambots seem to have trouble with them. It is a little bit of extra challenge for a new user, but only once.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Congratulations to the ever vigilant KNU2XS! :)
Display the cup proudly! :D:D

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Hmm, guess I am going to have to start reporting the ones I find before I delete them. I never knew we were having a contest. :)
Seeing someone else get an award is a terrible way to find out there was a contest :mad::mad:

I was left in the dark too :(

·
Registered
146 Posts
I only get home from work at 3am at the earliest and see and recognize them all the time. Think I just found how to flag these???

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
All I can say is wow. I thought I was going to be contacted for being such
a nuisance and told to stand down, not a get an edible trophy. ;)

I used to be a Mod on a big, fast moving site, where we would get, I'm guessing, the same number of
posts (not spam) generated here in a month, in a single day. In that environment savvy spammers can be
hard to spot. The ones that show up here are like spotting someone standing out in an open field wearing orange.

Either way, I hate spammers and hope that anybody that sees one, will report them, contest or not. :p

Thanks for the recognition. In a weird way I feel somehow, "validated."

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Report away folks, report away. For those who don't know how, that little caution sign looking thing down there in the lower left corner, under your user name, with the exclamation point on it is all you need. Hit that and fill in the blanks. The mods will take care of the rest.

Don't worry about waking anybody up and there are no nuisance ordinances here about reporting spammers.

Wasn't a contest really. I was just looking at the reported post section today and realized how many had been reported, and having nothing better to do at the time, counted up how many knu2xs had reported, and thought, geez, the guy deserves a trophy. But, if you think there's a sporting event to be had here, we can do it again.:D

·
Registered
646 Posts
All I can say is wow. I thought I was going to be contacted for being such
a nuisance and told to stand down, not a get an edible trophy. ;)

I used to be a Mod on a big, fast moving site, where we would get, I'm guessing, the same number of
posts (not spam) generated here in a month, in a single day. In that environment savvy spammers can be
hard to spot. The ones that show up here are like spotting someone standing out in an open field wearing orange.

Either way, I hate spammers and hope that anybody that sees one, will report them, contest or not. :p

Thanks for the recognition. In a weird way I feel somehow, "validated."
I don't see that trophy in your sig line or the title Sir Spamalot under your member name :rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
You want to hit this :

Hit it hard, hit it often any time spam raises it's ugly head day or night. Or a fight, swearing ... I don't mind being woken up in the middle of the night to rid the forum of spam. It's usually someone else who get's there first though.

It's down there in the lower left of every post.

BTW who is the moderator who won the "banned the most reported spammers" trophy :confused::confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts