Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet again my wonderful girlfriend finds a good deal, She was on one of the virtual yard sales on FB and she tells me she found another one for me so we go take a look, He says the auger gearbox needs replacing but says everything worked otherwise, He puts the switch on, primes it a couple of times and tells me to pull, fires right up and runs real well, He pulles the auger lever and the impellar is spinning but wait, So is the auger???? I get a feeling there may be a broken spring pin or something in there because the gearbox IS working, but he says when you hit snow it stops, Well then then I would say the gear box may just need a bolt or spring pin, I did notice one of the auger sheer pins had a bolt in it so there lies the cause, Well he was asking $100, I offered him &80???? He thought for a minute and said if you get it out of the garage and take it now He'll take $80 so home it went. Best thing is it isnt completely rusted up, Some touch up and I should be good once I get the gear issue fixed.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The engine alone is worth more than that. It looks in great condition. Everyone on this forum would have paid that.

I haven't taken apart every gear box but I don't think it's a pin unless it's both shear pins that go through each of the augers are sheared, if not then it's a gear in the gear box.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Congats! Hopefully you'll get lucky and it will be an easy fix. I bought an old MTD whose augers wouldn't turn, I found out that there was just a woodruff key in the gearbox which had sheared off, letting the gear spin on the shaft. A dollar later, I was back in business.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
I would have taken it home fo $80, nice score

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm loving the seller right now, VERY well maintained, and EVERYTHING has anti seize on it so every bolt is coming out easy, Even the pulley has anti seize. Took the bucket off and we brought it into the basement to pull out the auger, I'll be doing that after work this week, the bearing also has no slop and the belts are in great shape, So once I figure out the gearbox issue this should be a easy flip for next year if there is no more snow, if there is I'll see what I can get before the storm. Not sure what I should ask yet, still need to see what this went for new for a used pricing point, it was made in 2005 according to the label, Heck I even drove it over the bulkhead and runs great.

Well doing a little digging it appears this is a Murray made unit, real good shape for a 2005

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I'm loving the seller right now, VERY well maintained, and EVERYTHING has anti seize on it so every bolt is coming out easy, Even the pulley has anti seize.
God bless 'em! If only my machine had received the same care, I had to deal with a bunch of fasteners twisting off. That's such a big help, if things come off willingly. You got a heck of a deal! It looks like it's in really nice shape, hopefully the gearbox is a straightforward fix. The Illustrated Parts List/exploded view may help give you a sense of what to expect.

Your girlfriend found that for you? Why haven't you married that one yet? My wife is literally on the couch with me right now looking at purses online.
He raises a good point :)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your girlfriend found that for you? Why haven't you married that one yet? My wife is literally on the couch with me right now looking at purses online.
Don't give her any ideas now lol she helped me bring it down in the basement too

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sounds like he's got a keeper,my old lady just ask"why do you need a snowblower anyways?" As she sits inside the nice warm house looking out at me clearing the snow...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
well I have never taken apart a SB that was easier to take apart, all anti seized and a lot of new hardware, all gold colored and such lol. But anyhow all parts in gearbox looked good but one, the brass gear. Taking out the sheer bolt and the screw I noticed BOTH were bent a bit which explains how this happened, I can't believe how broke the gear is and everything else looks real good so I'm going to clean it all out to make sure there are no loose pieces of the gear in there and put a new gear, Parts are still readily available so will be ordering one after this post, put it all back together and ready to sell..... I'm going to need another project I think LOL

Well new gear on the way and should be here tuesday, fast free shipping, Was about $46 but still WAY ahead on what this cost me, finally should make some real good profit on this one with minimal work involved, Some times you get lucky and I got REAL lucky on this one. OH and augers were well greased on it also so easy taking those off also, Headlight I think was added but engine runs it no problem test running it, Will be searching on the engine to see the output of it and worst case remove the light but a good selling point also so hopefully it's all good.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Someone just gave me a Briggs intek engine like the one on this machine for free this week. It looks just like the engine on this machine except is has an air filter cover in front instead of a carb cover box. It's a 6.5hp engine, rated at 206cc. It's a good running engine, it was removed from a pressure washer so it will do well on a snowblower. It was missing one of the two oil caps, but I had a spare laying around. He also had a 1979 Tecumseh H50 engine that was originally on a Craftsman snowblower. It was just missing the gas cap but I have a spare, so that worked out. Pretty nice score there.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got a craftsman 5/23 that needs a H50 double shaft, may rebuild it for the expirience but would love to find one of those engines, if it was a single shaft it would already have a prediter engine on it, I may see if I can find a way to reverse the gearbox for the fun and if so go from there, I think the girlfriend much prefers this over heading to a bar so can't wait to see what she finds me next, She finds them and I fix them so she get a cut of the profits. And I keep making her dinner lol

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If the light works, leave it. Stator probably puts out about 18 watts and the engine if 8.5 HP, equates to about 6400 watts. The custom light was probably put on because the original did everything but cast useful light. They wouldn't have put a stator on if it wasn't supposed to have a light

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the light works, leave it. Stator probably puts out about 18 watts and the engine if 8.5 HP, equates to about 6400 watts. The custom light was probably put on because the original did everything but cast useful light. They wouldn't have put a stator on if it wasn't supposed to have a light
I remember reading some place that Briggs used to have a stator on all there engines whether used or not, Then I guess they figured out it was cheaper to make two versions, But the wiring isn't too neat so I'm going to re do that anyway. Now to try to match the paint for touch up, Going to be a tough one to match I think.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I remember reading some place that Briggs used to have a stator on all there engines whether used or not, Then I guess they figured out it was cheaper to make two versions, But the wiring isn't too neat so I'm going to re do that anyway. Now to try to match the paint for touch up, Going to be a tough one to match I think.
If you look up your engine number, you might be able to find out what the stator rating is. The good folks at Briggs are pretty useless at answering questions however.

I know that certain stators are interchangeable so you could for example, switch an 14V 1.5 A DC unit for an AC one, or possibly even a dual AC/DC unit good for about 60 W. That would run light and heaters. From what the stator manual says, they have two styles of flywheel, one with small magnets, and one with large magnets. The large magnets are needed for the high current (10-16 amp) stators, the others work with the small magnets.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Congrats, good deal. Check the pins in the shaft between the auger gear box and the impellor. Sometimes these are roll pins and when sheared the ends can stay in the hole. Good luck on it.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats, good deal. Check the pins in the shaft between the auger gear box and the impellor. Sometimes these are roll pins and when sheared the ends can stay in the hole. Good luck on it.
Checked those, did find the issue a few posts up, brass worm gear was damaged, have one ordered

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WEll got it all back together and working well, A repeat customer with my computer work actually looked at it as he was dropping off his sons laptop for work and he is buying it. Getting $350 for it. A little cheap but he's a good customer and sends me a lot of business with his friends so keep him happy and he keeps me busy. Did discover the plastic chute is a issue on these, They seem to break often (and this one is halfway already broke) but found a upgrade. There is a different model craftsman that has a taller metal chute and found one for $20 more than the replacement plastic one so opted to get that one seeing keeping this buyer happy is a good idea LOL I spend a extra $20 now and he will give me a lot more business with his friends so well worth it, and if he doesn't end up buying it the taller chute will help get extra next winter but hope to clear this out of the garage this year and make room for more projects.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts