Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am sure many have seen these but i was wonder if anyone has ever actually used one of these machines in substantial snow? happened across one to as i was at a friends house fixing a different snow blower and it wound up coming home with me. couple small repairs. cleaned carb, points, plug and away she went.

until now i have only seen pics of these and those pics are deceiving. its bigger and heavier than i thought. once that front rotor starts spinning there isn't much that is going to stop it.

so anyone ever try one? i might hold on to it until the first snow just to see how it works then it will go on the chopping block.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wow, that's really a massive single stage!
I have only seen videos on youtube of larger versions with similar design mounted in front of trains. So given there's enough engine to power the giant impeller the concept should work pretty well and it could rival some 2-stage units.

You should keep children, pets and small import cars away from the intake area.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2,689 Posts
Awsome

I've seen a couple of machines like that before on CL. Those things look fearsome and it actually looks scarey. I wouldn't get near anything that you don't want digested by it :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
We call those rotary snow plows!

Awesome machines, they will go through anything with just plain brute force. I love seeing the big train one that comes through here if the snow gets deep enough. Saw it on the tracks a few times last year, i live across the street from the tracks so i get to watch it from my front door.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Looks like a monster. Would love to see video of how it performs. How many horse power and can you estimate the rpm of the impeller?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks like you have a next summer project to restore it to pristine...

Not sure about those tires tho... don't look like they have much traction and who makes chains that small?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the tires are about the same size ( about 9 inches) as the hard ariens tires. i have see chains for them but never looked to buy them. after getting it working found out the old engine burned too much oil and keeps fouling out plugs. swapped out the long block with a spare i had. cleaned up the chute and now just waiting for some snow to see what happens.

over all it is the same height wide etc as an ariens 922999 4 hp 20 wide i have. the steel blower wheel is 16 inches across.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts