Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wayne went trolling over at the tractor chat and hooked me.

Did I mention I hate snow? I hate snow blowers? I would rather mine sat in the garage and quietly rusted back to it's native state of ferrous oxide.

Roger
Old, Tired, and Grumpy:mad:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Roger:D

·
Registered
68 Posts

Did I mention I hate snow? I hate snow blowers? I would rather mine sat in the garage and quietly rusted back to it's native state of ferrous oxide.

Roger
hi Roger, sounds like your talking about your snowblower (old,tired,grumpy):):) you need to trade that old blower in on a nice shiney, efficient new one.See how far you can blow the snow into the neighbors yard, btw what kind of old blower you have?:D

·
Registered
93 Posts

Roger
Wait a minute....Old, tired and grumpy........must be a beginner:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi Roger, sounds like your talking about your snowblower (old,tired,grumpy):):) you need to trade that old blower in on a nice shiney, efficient new one.See how far you can blow the snow into the neighbors yard, btw what kind of old blower you have?:D
The snow blower is just old! It is an Atlas 26" with an 8HP Briggs. Dad came dragging it home on the 4th. of July in the early to mid 70s. A left over stock that his buddy gave him a **** of a deal on. My Mom about had a cow on that one!:p

Over the decades it has been used little and tortured much. My Dad was good at routine maintenance but when he wasn't able to do it any longer my brother neglected things badly. I was working all over the place and rarely made it home to take care of things.

When I moved back here to take care of Mom I found it setting in the back of the garage with a half tank of jellied fuel, flat tires, sheared pin on one primary auger and many pieces either ready to fall off or already missing. Fortunately we got through the first winter I was home with no real need for the blower. When the weather warmed up I spent about a week cleaning the fuel system (had to have the tank boiled out at the radiator shop), making the missing pieces, and in general giving it a general overhaul. I added a fuel shut off and tank drain while I was at it.

Last winter however proved to be a real test for the blower with Mom being in and out of the hospital (she's 86 Y/O and had a hip replacement followed by some complications). The drive has to be kept clear for the care providers or they won't come. I have to keep a drive to the back door cleared for Mom to enter and egress the house to the car, for doctors appointments. The blower did well up to the last snow when it began struggling to go upgrade. It shelled the drive belt for the traction drive. I managed to get through it and this past summer did the whole "nut and bolt" thing again, including replacing the belts and drive chain. While I was at the "nuttin and boltin" I also welded new cap strips on the skids and ran a few beads of hard facing to cut down on some of the wear.

The old thing still works and it sure beats a scoop shovel, but I would prefer to spend my winters south of the equator where an unlined leather jacket is considered a heavy coat.

If I was to see how far I could blow snow into the neighbors yard I could always go borrow the old OshKosh unit I drove at the airport. 400HP will put it in their back yard from my garage.:eek:

As for trading for a new snow blower? I'd rather keep the cash and put it towards an ticket to Aruba.

Roger

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
LOL!!!!! Oh I hear ya!!!! I would be MORE then happy to have the blower sit unused in the shed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SOOO need to move south!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts