Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm new as you can see. I have a ten year old Ariens ST1028 10 hp.
This thing starts great, idles good but stalls about 10 feet after plowing snow.
It has a new plug, fresh gas a carb rebuilt and I even tried the gas cap trick. I've been a mechanic for over fifty years and this one has got me. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welcome
It sounds like fuel flow. Take the bowl off the carb. With it off, open the fuel valve and see if gas comes out. If no, check if the float goes up and down {gently] . If no check the float needle. If you get flow, check the bowl nut, it has [ in most cases] two holes in the side of it, one bigger than the other, they should be clear. Clean the smaller hole with a twist tie wire, or a wire from a wire brush. Look on U tube for donnie boy 73 for videos on carb cleaning. Have a nice Thanksgiving.
Sid

·
Registered
864 Posts
as you start blowing snow it demands more fuel.
the bottom of the fuel tank on the Tec. motors has a fuel strainer in the top of the petcock.
it may flow enough for sitting idling, but it may not flow enough for blowing snow and driving the machine, and cut out on your
take that petcock out and clean it good. every single one I took out of my machines, was plugged nearly solid.
I cut the strainer right out, clean the petcock so it doesn't seep or leak, oil it, then put an inline filter under the tank. snip the line with a razor blade, and put a small inline filter in.
also check your fuel line. the line on my Craftsman 10/32 is falling apart and flaking into black flakes inside the line. if that stuff gets in the carb it's all over, she won't run steady
if you do all this and still problem, take the carb off, and try another carb.
also try another spark plug, like an RJ19LM. it runs a little hotter and a bad plug will shut 'er right down for no apparent reason, like an off switch
check the killswitch wire on the carb linkage plate if so equipped, and the key, to make sure it's not shorting out. bypass it and see if it stays running.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
The other thing with Tecumseh engines is the exhaust valves swell up sometimes when they get hot and don't close all the way. Could be you need to adjust the valves.

·
Registered
792 Posts
You may be running on the lean side which causes you to stall under load. A quick fix may be a simple quarter to half turn open on your high speed jet(if your carburetor is adjustable.) Also, make sure you are turning 3600 rpms with no load at full throttle. MH

·
Registered
260 Posts
One thing that I just came across on a friends machine is that the fuel line from the tank to the carb had collapsed inside. I assume the ethanol had delaminated it and caused this. VERY little fuel even dripped through when I took the hose off the carb. Cheap fix

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I bent the fuel line when I put the tank back on or atleast I hope that's it. Tried it after I straighten it out but not much snow but it did run good up and down a few hundred feet.

·
Registered
864 Posts
bingo- I think you found the problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts