Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may want an inexpensive drone from Santa this year. i know absolutely nothing about them except they fly and take vids and pics. Can I get something decent for $200?

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
More than likely you are going to have to regjister it with the FAA. homeland security is a real sticker about those BLOODY things. I know up here you have to regjister those stupid things and they have a list as long as government cheese lines about where and when you can fly them.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I have been doing some "asking around" about them.......looks like for me to get what i would want would run about $500 cdn. those goggle things appear to be a must have.....unless you live on an expanse of flatland.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More than likely you are going to have to regjister it with the FAA. homeland security is a real sticker about those BLOODY things. I know up here you have to regjister those stupid things and they have a list as long as government cheese lines about where and when you can fly them.
Good point, Todd. Hadn't considered that aspect.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've been jonesing for one of those toys too, but I figure it's potentially VERY expensive and could be a legal mess if you lose control of it and injure someone or it flies into a FAA no-fly zone. My concern is that I live in an urban or suburban area, so it's probably not worth the hassle. I've held off buying for that reason.

If you want low cost and lots of features you should look at the Hubsan h501s. It's amazing and well under $300. A step up from there would be the Parrot Bebop 2, and up from there IMHO the ultimate hobbyists drone is the DJI Mavic Pro. You definitely want "headless" flying capabilities (google it).

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been jonesing for one of those toys too, but I figure it's potentially VERY expensive and could be a legal mess if you lose control of it and injure someone or it flies into a FAA no-fly zone. My concern is that I live in an urban or suburban area, so it's probably not worth the hassle. I've held off buying for that reason. .
We live out in cow and corn country where the oder of liquid fertilizer sometimes hangs thick in the air. Biggest traffic problems are tractors, harvesters combines and etc. Our back yard literally is a 10 acre park. Still, it'll be prudent for me to check this out.
Thanks for the drone tips!:)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Some stupid fool was trying to get his to fly today in a parking lot across from my church. He only got it up in the air a few inches and then the thing flipped over and 2 of the props broke off. I had to try very hard not to laugh out loud.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you live in the city/suburban area you'll just end up getting your self in a jam, you may damage property or worse yet someone will complain your looking where you shouldn't be. For you living on a farm I think they would be great. Imagine being able to check your cattle or irrigation or see how your crops are doing from your front porch with a birds eye view.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
We just find more and more ways of being lazy I suppose. Grant it there are rare occasions where a drone can be a life saver for sure.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
dont know what i was thinking........but after getting a high end wally world toy drone, and promptly returning it......this is coming in the mail
https://www.dji.com/phantom-3-standard

.....i can hear myself now...watching this fly away over the altlantic ocean......never to be seen [email protected]##%# #$&*^ !!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
My $.02:

If its your first one start out small and cheap in case its not your thing
That is true and makes a ton of sense but at least for me a big reason for getting one would be the ability to do aerial photography. So I'm looking at something more expensive than this one with a camera but less that that 500 Phantom 3. Although that Phantom sure looks like a sweet machine :hope:

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I bought a cheapie a few months ago and found it really isn't my thing. It was fun for the first few times but I saw boredom looming. I gave it to our Pastor's kids.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Is that the Phantom 3 and if so haw has it worked out for you ?? Pros and cons.
yes , phantom 3 standard ( entry level) uav.

cons- from my experience so far - expensive batteries, touchy app/firmware upgrades and negative feedback on the " spying" aspect. these consumer grade drones are NOT capable of spying on anyone .....you hear them long before you see them ! as soon as you show someone a pic or video , they get it.

pros- once a good gps lock is established, it will hold position like its on a tripod, the 3 axis gimbal is flawless, 2.7K video, 12mp still shots, and just a true fun factor. for the not so faint of heart......go out of gps mode and free fly.....it gets the ol heart pumping !

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
That is true and makes a ton of sense but at least for me a big reason for getting one would be the ability to do aerial photography. So I'm looking at something more expensive than this one with a camera but less that that 500 Phantom 3. Although that Phantom sure looks like a sweet machine :hope:
dji sells refurbished units for a reasonable price.....with the same warantee as a new unit. their customer service may not be up to par according to some, but i can only say good things so far. ( faulty battery....replaced at no cost).
these things basically fly themselves......let go of the sticks and the brakes come on.....they stop quickly and hover in place.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts