Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm repowering my old snowblower and thinking to speed up impeller "a little"... Have anyone experienced what happens with "too much" speed? What will break first? :)

Thanks, new to the forum. Seems to be excellent information site about snowblowers.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hi,

I'm repowering my old snowblower and thinking to speed up impeller "a little"... Have anyone experienced what happens with "too much" speed? What will break first? :)

Thanks, new to the forum. Seems to be excellent information site about snowblowers.
I have increased engine speed to 3,900 and not encountered any problems. Later i increased engine impeller pulley from 2.75 to 3.25 and no problems. Impeller speed is over 1400 rpm.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The auger runs at about a tenth of the speed of the impeller.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ekke - Hopefully what will break first is a shear pin :) How fast is too fast, depends on how much snow you want to remove and how fast you want to do it. Most factory fan RPMs vary from about 1100 to 1400, but engineers figure that out by available HP, the diameter of the fan (which commonly is 12 to 14 inches) and many other factors.
As long as you can feed enough snow (that would be determined by the machine ground travel speed) to the auger you probably won't find that "too fast" point. Of course throwing more snow requires more "work" be done, (moving lbs. or tons of snow per hour) which requires more HP.
If you want to read more look through the search forum for modified snow blowers, there have been quite a few over the years from just stock "hop ups" to V8 powered walk behinds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ekke - Hopefully what will break first is a shear pin :) How fast is too fast, depends on how much snow you want to remove and how fast you want to do it. Most factory fan RPMs vary from about 1100 to 1400, but engineers figure that out by available HP, the diameter of the fan (which commonly is 12 to 14 inches) and many other factors.
As long as you can feed enough snow (that would be determined by the machine ground travel speed) to the auger you probably won't find that "too fast" point. Of course throwing more snow requires more "work" be done, (moving lbs. or tons of snow per hour) which requires more HP.
If you want to read more look through the search forum for modified snow blowers, there have been quite a few over the years from just stock "hop ups" to V8 powered walk behinds.
I have done some research but didn't find any proper info over 1400rpm, maybe one 1600rpm that "was good" but not that much of info or video... I assume that double rpm requires 4x horsepower, but I think I don't use all horsepower from factory snowblower on fluffy snow. But not going to V8 territory, I would like to know how much is too much. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question begs WHY?

I tell people to check fast throttle RPM's with a tach. On a Honda that is about 3650 plus/minus 150. usually there's are around 3000-3200.

Then install impeller kit if needed.

usually the complaint is throwing less snow/clogging/not throwing far enough.
Well.. why not? I have cheap used snowblower that have served for a few years and now bought a new motor for it. Went from "5hp" to "13hp", triple torque.. I will install impeller kit too, but that haven't been an option with underpowered motor.

Maybe I will just double the rpms and see what will happen. :cool:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Clogging is an issue. Impeller kit can help. Impeller speed can help with throwing and a bit with quantity. But only a little for clogging.more power can help. But it is like lots of power but no tool.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Clogging is an issue. Impeller kit can help. Impeller speed can help with throwing and a bit with quantity. But only a little for clogging.more power can help. But it is like lots of power but no tool.
Haven't had that much of problem with clogging, even with a quite big cap between impeller and housing. Enough forward speed have usually helped...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Plant Automotive exterior

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle tire

Initial testing done, but it seems that there are too many "issues" that needs to be solved before proper testing.. and we barely have snow left :confused::confused:

Seems to have plenty of power and throws slushy mushy nicely even without "impeller kit". Sadly bigger pulley graps loose belt too easily and impeller rotates always.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts