Snowblower Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any other companies making roller skids other than Arnold?

Looking on the internet, Amazon, eBay, they seem to have the lock.

The reviews on Home Depot are not great, 3.9, with only 51% recommending. Reading the lowest rated reviews, they fall apart, wear too fast, don't turn, for some the first day of use.

I know my other options are to weld a bolt, threaded rod, to the existing skid shoe then use a roller blade wheel.

Reactions: Auger1

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I have used the Arnold Poly Roller Skids on my machines for years now, never had an issue, they work flawlessly, and there is no drag, scuff or rust marks. Others here will probably chime in. I do periodicall spray Fluid Film (lubricant), as you would do on any moving part.

No other company has them that I know of, probably a copyright infringement.

·
Registered
132 Posts

The reviews on Home Depot are not great, 3.9, with only 51% recommending. Reading the lowest rated reviews, they fall apart, wear too fast, don't turn, for some the first day of use.

I know my other options are to weld a bolt, threaded rod, to the existing skid shoe then use a roller blade wheel.
Going to make some this week, I will post up a picture or 2 for you when I am done.

·
Registered
404 Posts
There was another make that looked very similar to the Arnold Poly Roller Skids. I don't see it on the market anymore.

I like the idea, but I don't trust them. Use your eyes and experience to judge it. Reviews is your tool, but it is also their tool.

I might make my own skid rollers. It will be stronger at least.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Craftsman Snow Blower Rolling Skid Shoes (Non-Abrasive) (no idea if they fit, though said to be "universal"

·
Registered
404 Posts
Craftsman Snow Blower Rolling Skid Shoes (Non-Abrasive) (no idea if they fit, though said to be "universal"
It is the same as the Arnold roller skid shoes, I can tell. MTD also has those skid shoes under their name. Why pay extra for the same product?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
@Dman,

You are absolutely correct.

Arnold has the patent for those Poly Roller Skids and will certainly sell them to other company's to put there name on them, for more money no doubt.

The last I knew, Craftsman did not own any manufacturing factory's,

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Problem with these Arnold roller skids, they are a type of plastic, if they were metal and they didn't work, or failed, I could weld a flat metal piece on the bottom and still use them as regular skids.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Arnold has the patent for those Poly Roller Skids
They were designed by engineer Bill Raftery. I've had email exchanges with him and he was kind enough to send me a set of the skids as well as the offset adapters for my Honda HSS1332. The important features are ease of motion/steering, non-marking of surfaces & non-wearing bearing surfaces that don't require height adjustment over time.

Here's what Bill said about the genesis of the Roller Skid. MTD Products (Arnold, Craftsman, etc.) licensed his ideas:

"To make a long story short, I turned 60 and bought a snow blower thinking it was going to be like mowing the lawn. Wow, was I in for a surprise! I was faced with going back into the house after only half an hour and confessing to my wife that I just got my butt kicked. I was exhausted! That's how it all started. I spent the entire Winter mocking up quite a number of solutions that resulted in the Roller-Skid...​
... to continue, I found that most of my exhaustion was caused because I was constantly fighting with the machine to keep it moving in a straight line. This was because the steel skids were scraping, grabbing and pulling me from side to side depending which skid was encountering the most resistance. This was because of areas on my driveway that had more or less snow covering the surface. Heaven help me if the right skid hit a bare concrete and the left skid was on ice.​
The original fix I came up with was simply attaching a wheel where the skid was bolted onto the side of the auger box. This was great until I hit just ice and snow... and then I missed the skid! It was at that time that it occurred to me: WHY NOT HAVE BOTH?!​
Fact is, I'm not only trying to make my life easier... but I'm also aware that by rolling over the surface, I'm not damaging the surfaces any more. I learned this by talking to some contacts I made at Ariens. (Great folks by the way!) They informed me that equally important, the roller-skid design I was working on would protect surfaces. This was becoming increasingly important with all the stamped, decorative concrete driveways and walkways out there."​

There was a V1 that didn't work out too well. What you can purchase now is the much-improved V2. Sadly, you can't get the offset adapters any more.

·
Registered
1971-72 910962 s/n-03101 att.-910995 s/n-048006 TEC# H70-130067A s/n-1218R
74 Posts
Just picked a set of these up. Now if only my other parts come in!

·
Registered
1971-72 910962 s/n-03101 att.-910995 s/n-048006 TEC# H70-130067A s/n-1218R
74 Posts
if your waiting on the US post office don't hold your breath to long. i just had a 3rd day priority mail package show up Saturday that took 30 days to get from Florida,
I know been waiting 26 days for car rebuild kit for my buddy’s blower. Crazy ridiculous!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I just received several 2-day Priority Express packages that were mailed over a month ago. Still waiting on some.

Reactions: farmer52
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.