Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there are any vintage parts sources guys on the forum are "privi" too? I need a hex shaft for my 1986-1990ish MTD 420. pt #738-0496. Somebody out there has to have an old girl sitting out in the shed somewhere. I have looked/searched the usual online sources. Ebay, MTD parts, parts tree, ereplacements.
Thanks, Pat

·
Registered
190 Posts
Most vintage parts sources have gone away with the advent of Amazon. You are obviously asking for sources for vintage parts. I've had the most luck on ebay. I save the search and get an email whenever something comes up. The last parts I got were NOS - an on/off switch and a brand new unused (indeed new) carb. This for a 70's or 80's long obsolete stihl chain saw. Another source has been dealers in small towns. When my wife and I are driving around in the south of the state, we pass thru a lot of small towns, and I check out the hardware stores and chain saw shops. Mostly looking for old parts I need.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Yeah, those small repair/parts shops were great for new old stock.

A shame that most were forced to close ... They had some good inventory.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, those small repair/parts shops were great for new old stock.

A shame that most were forced to close ... They had some good inventory.
Some still do! But finding them is the challenge. A collector friend of mine once said its the chase that's fun. Were the antiques he looks for easy to find he probably would not be collecting them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like I am in for a hunt. In the mean time I will see about having it welded. And, please if one of you stumbles upon something, keep me in mind. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts