Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
8 hp is pretty marginal for a 32 inch blower, but an impeller kit would solve the problem with slushy snow...just take smaller bites and you'll be fine. You can get by just modifiying half of the impellers and still get good results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting! How do I modify the impellers? Bend them?

My engine is a replacement. I see it says 202cc. I don't know the HP...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I have a big ol' 32" ST824. It won't throw the snow we get around here. Useless for that. Quite a machine otherwise, tho! :)

====================================================================:wink2:
Purchase a can of aerosol fluid film spray and spray the impeller, chute and spout with a light liberal coating of Fluid Film and you can double your casting distance.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
My Info has a ST824 as a 24" Machine, unless the auger was swapped out.
Yes, by defination a ST824 has a 24" wide bucket. that's what the "24" in 824 stands for. ;)
8 = 8HP engine
24 = 24" bucket.

If it says 824 on the handlebars but has a 32" bucket, then at some point someone replaced the bucket.

Scot

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only model number I see on it says 924042. Someone else on this forum said ST824 in response to a question so I thought that was the 'short form' model.

My machine has a replacement motor. 202cc, which I guess is more like 6 HP. So at 32" I need all the snow throw efficiency help I can get! I ordered the Kit.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Whoa... that's not a lot of motor for a machine that size. My 32" Ariens used to struggle sometimes with a 358cc 10HP engine!

And the impeller kit may not help. It makes the machine more "efficient" in the sense it'll throw snow/slush better, but it takes horsepower to do that. So you may find yourself wanting an engine upgrade...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Whoa... that's not a lot of motor for a machine that size. My 32" Ariens used to struggle sometimes with a 358cc 10HP engine!

And the impeller kit may not help. It makes the machine more "efficient" in the sense it'll throw snow/slush better, but it takes horsepower to do that. So you may find yourself wanting an engine upgrade...

I concur, at 32” this needs a good sized motor regardless of modifications.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
The only model number I see on it says 924042. Someone else on this forum said ST824 in response to a question so I thought that was the 'short form' model.

My machine has a replacement motor. 202cc, which I guess is more like 6 HP. So at 32" I need all the snow throw efficiency help I can get! I ordered the Kit.
Ah, ok, now its all clear.
You don't have a ST824. ;) Whoever said that was simply mistaken.
Your model 924042 came new with a 32" bucket, so it does have the correct bucket.

When your model was made (1979) Ariens wasnt using the ST-model designations..
Technically and generically you can call it a 832, but Ariens never actually called it a ST832. (ST standing for Sno-Thro)

the best way to describe your machine would be: "I have an Ariens model 924042 from 1979, it was originally a 832, it now has a replacement engine." people would then understand what all that means. :)

Scot

1 - 13 of 13 Posts