Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this and what was your experience with dealers, sales people?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Bought a generator DURING a big storm, but not a snowblower. Bought my HSS1332AATD about half a week after one storm and about the same time before the next storm. Home Depot was great with the generator sale (bought it right out of a truck) and the dealership (Chappell Tractor Sales in Brentwood, NH) was great in the latter case. It was the last HSS1332AATD anywhere nearby.

It was good that I had this snow bank from the prior storm to back the borrowed pickup truck into next to the path to the barn so I could drive the blower off the bed and down to the ground about 20 feet away. My ramps were buried under the deep part somewhere...

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
I usually buy beer in the hours leading up to a big storm, while everyone else is buying bread and milk 😆🍺

Are you concerned if the sales folks will act differently then? Maybe just busier than normal.

·
Super Moderator
6,796 Posts
late '98 / early '99 we had a big storm. in july of '98 i herniated a disc and pinched a nerve in my neck ( still dealing with it ). i needed a snowblower real bad so the day after the storm i hopped in my mustang and went looking for one but couldn't find one. on my way home i though about one of our toro dealers that i had not stopped at, they were not far out of my way so i headed to them. i didn't think i would have any luck there but when i arrived there was a truck out front and they were unloading snowblowers. once in the building i asked about purchasing a 5hp snowblower but was informed they only had powerlites, my option was pull start or electric start. i picked up an electric start powerlite the next day. i was told that if i had gone back in october or november i could have gotten a bigger machine

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Bought a generator DURING a big storm, but not a snowblower. Bought my HSS1332AATD about half a week after one storm and about the same time before the next storm. Home Depot was great with the generator sale (bought it right out of a truck) and the dealership (Chappell Tractor Sales in Brentwood, NH) was great in the latter case. It was the last HSS1332AATD anywhere nearby.

It was good that I had this snow bank from the prior storm to back the borrowed pickup truck into next to the path to the barn so I could drive the blower off the bed and down to the ground about 20 feet away. My ramps were buried under the deep part somewhere...
View attachment 174217

THAT IS A GREAT LOOKING SHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

·
Registered
839 Posts
Luckily as I have gotten older I have learned to be better prepared. I'll always have 2 fully functioning blowers to use. My shoulders are both shot...shoveling just isn't fun with both shoulder labrums messed up, and a dead (single) blower is a useless blower.

Unfortunately the derecho this summer taught me a new lesson learned, that I needed to own a pickup as one of my vehicles (have an SUV...just not large enough to haul items like storm damage).

So I double up on the important stuff. Lawn mowers, blowers, vehicles, chain saws, computers...

Reactions: orangputeh

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I sold a Snapper 422 I reconditioned the night before a big storm in late March. All of the box stores were empty. The guy drove 25 miles and voluntarily offered me more money. Everyone throught the snow was done for the season.

·
Premium GOT Member
8,697 Posts
I sold a Snapper 422 I reconditioned the night before a big storm in late March. All of the box stores were empty. The guy drove 25 miles and voluntarily offered me more money. Everyone throught the snow was done for the season.
that happened to me also recently. guy offered me more money just because I held the blower for him for a couple days. I said no and told him a deal is a deal is a deal.... grew upon handshakes.....too bad you need more than that now.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I usually buy beer in the hours leading up to a big storm, while everyone else is buying bread and milk 😆🍺

Are you concerned if the sales folks will act differently then? Maybe just busier than normal.
Beer is essentially bread in liquid form. So basically you got bread and milk without the calcium and fat. :)

I am curious in difficult times, how some react with kindness to help others, some see it as an opportunity to help themselves.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I live in the Detroit area and this is the 3rd lame winter in a row, snow-wise, so figure we are due. The 4th winter ago we had 95” and even I was getting tired of snow-blowing by March. I have a ~15 year old cheap Chinese Honda clone (engine) 2 stage that is finally gave up the ghost. A week ago I ordered a Honda HSS724AWD online that I have dreamed about getting for a decade. It was backordered, to be delivered by June, so was hoping the rest of this winter would remain tame. Next thing I know I get an email telling me it has shipped and I‘ll have it early next week. Now I look at the weather and see Chicago may get 10” over the weekend... we normally get what they get, but instead, we are getting one more 2” snow. I guess that is a good thing we are not getting a big one 3 or 4 days BEFORE my dream blower arrives. Hopefully Detroit gets hammered throughout February.

·
Premium GOT Member
8,697 Posts
could have sold maybe 5 more snowblowers today if I had them after the 4 foot dump we got.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Went to our local HD tonight to pick up an order. We have one of those 2" or 12" storms coming our way. HD had about six blowers left and people were outside standing in line waiting for the HD employee to unlock the chain.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
We have predictions for a northeaster starting Monday ending sometime Tuesday. Today I went to one of the local Lowes for a non-snow related item. Outside the store had be at least 20 Arien snowblowers, some in the process of getting loaded onto pickup trucks.

I was in the store no more than about 15 minutes or so. When I left, most of the snowblowers were history.... gone! I did notice a couple of 30'' machines left. OK.... maybe there were more in inventory but the pickings out in front were few.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a snowblower 2 days after a big storm, I didn’t own one yet. 33” of snow and after hours of shoveling just to come home to the 2 foot snow wall from the street plows I had enough. I went to Lowe’s and Depot, all they had were tiny single stages but Lowe’s had one craftsman 26” 209cc, it was even $100 off. It was seriously underpowered and lost its drive train adjustment and I lost a reverse speed after one use. Disappointed I returned it to get my arien’s 24” deluxe 254cc. I have only used it once with about only 4” of snow. I guess the only thing I have learned is when you buy at high demand selections are limited. I also learned near the 30 day return period there are many reruns that aren’t marked as such. Always look in the gas tank. I wouldn’t mind buying a return if I knew it was a return and the price reflected that.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts