Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

Premium Member
I would imagine the big box stores (HD, Lowes, etc) love a forecasted snow storm . . . it really moves product. Also seems like many machines get returned to these stores after first use. I'll be venturing out to the local HD today (southern MA) for some stuff . . . wondering if the machines will be gone.

Registered
I think the purchase of a snowblower should have been well planned in advance in order to get what you want, what you need and being prepared moneywise as much as possible. It shouldn't be a sudden decision because you'll end up buying at a time of high demands therefore having less choice risking having some sort of blower that doesn't fits your needs and then regret the decision and have to buy another one again, losing money selling the first one in the process. On my side, planned for 1 year in advance. We had the March 2017 blizzard, I was still shoveling for 5 seasons and my front neighbourg just bought his Toro snowblower. I couldn't even get my Econoline off the driveway, snow was up to the hood and the city plow didn't even get near my driveway as he couldn't see anything. So my neighbourg came to help me out and that was it, I said to myself that it has been my last season without a snowblower eventhough I thought about having one before, that was the end of the thinking and on to the owning. In the following months, saved money for it and then in october 2017, went to the Honda dealer and pulled the trigger on a brand new tracked 1332 and never looked back. Ironically since then, we never had big snow falls or storms and I decided to get a single stage because of that. All in all, I'm prepared for the big dump of snow whenever it happens, lol.

Registered
I was at HD about a week ago. Many lonely machines out front looking for a new home...

There's a broad cross-section of our population that live their lives in procrastination mode. Can't plan more than 10 minutes ahead.

Are we starting to get excited about this storm !!?? It looks like northern NJ might hit the jackpot once again. I think it's going to be too warm (again) in my area for any sort of power dump :(

Registered
Snowing as we speak. Expected 12" - 18" between today and Tuesday.
I have a Toro 26" listed on line and a guy calls about it, gets address and has the money in hand. Travels 35 minutes to get here.
Only problem is he gets here with his little SUV thingy and won't fit in the back. No matter what we would have taken apart. (well you know)

What in gods name he was thinking.???????? Back home he goes. He says HD and Lowes were out too.
And delivery wasn't even an option . He definitely wasn't the brightest tool in the shed.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Premium GOT Member
yesterday i put a Honda up for sale. lost count of replies but it is over 30.

so far i have been offered $350 more than I am asking and my asking price was fair for condition. a beautiful machine.

I just dont get it. these offers are coming in sight unseen. it can't be that bad , is it?

Registered
yesterday i put a Honda up for sale. lost count of replies but it is over 30.

so far i have been offered $350 more than I am asking and my asking price was fair for condition. a beautiful machine.

I just dont get it. these offers are coming in sight unseen. it can't be that bad , is it?
I find it hard to believe the big box are out (Northampton county Pa.)
And they had a $=it load last week...
What in the world do all these machines go come next winter and people will buy again...

Registered
Short-sighted people have always been a mystery to me. My first snow blower I bought in February on sale because it had been a light winter and the shop had a bunch left over that they didn't want to carry over the summer. It was a major purchase for me at the time and I'd saved for a year to get it. My current machine I bought in December (that's early around here) and that too was well thought out and researched ahead of time.

Registered
I work at a Lowe's in northern NJ. When I got to work at 7:30 this morning the OPE guy was told to assemble 10 of the 20 snow blowers left in stock. Once the snow blowers are assembled they can't be returned to the manufacture, so the store has to be fairly sure or hopeful they can sell them. I left at 4pm today and they had 1 unassembled snow blower left. Most were bought still boxed up because the poor guy could not assemble them fast enough :oops:.

Registered
Technically yes. I bought mine yesterday in advance of a big snow that started this afternoon. I assembled it this morning. We had a decent wet snow in December and my neighbor across the street let me use his to clear the end of the driveway, heavy from the street plows. I was instantly and completely sold. (Like when I got my first chain saw, it was like, HOW did I go these decades without one????) I did a little research over the last month and knew what I wanted, deciding to put it off in case we didn't have a big storm. Well one was coming so I pulled the trigger. Found the one I wanted in stock at a HD about 10 miles away.

Registered
My brother in SE PA called yesterday to inform me his ~5 year old big-box Ariens 2-stage won't start. He wanted to warm it up before the big snow. He's convinced himself he just flooded the machine. Web searches advised him to try again 24 hours later. He still has not tried it again.

It reinforced to me that while throwing distance and speed capability with significant snowfall are nice-to-haves, having a working snow-blower on game day is my #1 priority. It helps me justify to myself that I just spent $2500 on a Honda HSS724AWD. 馃槄

Registered
In 2003 I bought a HS928 Track for $2200. The thing was flawless. In 2014 I moved to a townhome while building a new home (for 2 years.) In 2014 we had a horrible winter in SE PA; all the blowers were gone but I didn't need mine. Towards the end of the season I decided to try to sell it. I listed for $2100 and sold the next day. I got a lot of interest both negative and positive. Outrage from some, real interest from others. The machine was used on a small but steep driveway (I like toys.) The only scratch on it was there the day I picked up from the dealer. I did well with that machine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Bump to the top, with additional questions relevant to this year.

How was your experience with the shortages of snowblowers?

Did you have to settle for a lesser machine than you have planned because you refused to shovel by hand?

Did you spend more money on a larger snowblower than you need because that was all that's left?

Did you have to settle for a new battery operated snowblower because the gas powered snowblower are sold out?

Did you decided that this the year you start shoveling by hand rather than spend money at the gym while paying someone else to shovel your driveway?

Premium GOT Member
Can only speak of our local dealer.

Helped a 87 year old gentleman yesterday who took delivery of a HSS928 . top of the line model, electric start etc. They delivered it and nothing else.
I asked the new owner if they had showed him how to use or anything and he said no. He didnt even know that he was getting a 3 year warranty.

We just had a 2 foot dump the day before and was told the dealer was SWAMPED with buyers and repairs.

NO excuse in my book. I spent an hour with the gentleman showing him how to use. I checked the oil ( who knows if dealer took the time to install that ). checked adjustments etc and gave him the basics on using and suggested You Tube videos.

This gentleman was a treasure trove of stories. I could have stayed hours listening to them. He had a beautiful shop and had it set up for spending time there. TV, radio , etc and it was immaculate. Every tool had it's place. Everything spotless. It's a shame the dealer treated him so poorly.

He had a little Toro 1800 electric that only works sometimes and he asked me to fix it. I said i would try and brought it home. Now I can try to fix and bring back so we can talk some more.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
We just had a 2 foot dump the day before and was told the dealer was SWAMPED with buyers and repairs.

He had a beautiful shop and had it set up for spending time there. TV, radio , etc and it was immaculate. Every tool had it's place. Everything spotless. It's a shame the dealer treated him so poorly.

He had a little Toro 1800 electric that only works sometimes and he asked me to fix it. I said i would try and brought it home. Now I can try to fix and bring back so we can talk some more.
How did he find out about you? Did the dealer give him your name and contact info?
Seems like 2 doors were just opened, win win situation. At least he wasn't left alone to figure out the new snowblower.

Premium GOT Member
How did he find out about you? Did the dealer give him your name and contact info?
Seems like 2 doors were just opened, win win situation. At least he wasn't left alone to figure out the new snowblower.
Got lucky and repaired his little Toro. We spent 2 hours talking. I could have talked for hours more. Such an interesting person .

Anyways......this guy came over that I knew. I serviced 2 of his blowers a couple years ago. Two days ago his wife ( I didnt know it was his wife ) slid off the icy road into a ditch.
I offered to help. Didnt think nothing of it ( old E Boy Scout) . Actually forgot about it even though just 2 days ago.

He comes over today to thank me and said he was buying a New Honda and wanted to gift me his old one.

Planets lined up right today.

Registered
You are really straining that GOT moniker. Being nice, now a reward, it's blowing the whole image you've been cultivating here...

:p

Reactions: orangputeh

Premium Member
I ended up inadvertently getting my last blower delivered during a blizzard . . . . The delivery guy fired it up on the truck, cut a path to the house with it, gave me an overview, and I finished the drive . . .

Does that count?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts