Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recent 10M-L60D has this mounted starter. however, it did not come with the cabled box that allows it to be used. it is a 110 volt DC starter. is it worth looking around for the missing part, or is it better to remove it and add a typical modern starter kit? i'm not going to do anything until i decide if i am going the re-power route, but do like the electric start option, esp. in older machines.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
My recent 10M-L60D has this mounted starter.
That looks like the kind of starter where you just plug the end of a standard extension cord onto the prongs sticking out the bottom on the right.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, the diagram in the manual demonstrated a button box with two cables. there isn't a starter button on the device itself.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
no, the diagram in the manual demonstrated a button box with two cables. there isn't a starter button on the device itself.
Understood. I'm just saying that if, in fact, a standard extension cord will plug on there, you can get everything set up to start at the machine, then walk over and plug in the extension cord until it starts. We used to do that with an old Ariens riding mower when I was a kid.

If you don't like doing that, you can always get something like this:

Or buy one of these and put a female plug on the wires:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok, so you are saying it can be used direct: plug it in, it starts, unplug it. i guess the box only allows a shot of electricity vs. a full flow of electricity. i would be worried about overloading the starter. perhaps one can be home made. thx for your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
"The box" as you call it, is nothing more than a push button switch which will do exactly the same thing as plugging/unplugging the cord from the wall, and the starter will consume exactly the same amout of current. Tje switch makes it more conveinient, but electrically really changes nothing.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"The box" as you call it, is nothing more than a push button switch which will do exactly the same thing as plugging/unplugging the cord from the wall, and the starter will consume exactly the same amout of current. Tje switch makes it more conveinient, but electrically really changes nothing.
it's not me calling it a box, its ariens! looking at the original manual: "the kit consists of a 110 volt DC starter which mounts permanently on the engine, and a box containing a momentary contact switch and a set of rectifiers", "in operation, the rectifier is plugged into a 110 volt AC receptacle and the output of the rectifier connected to the starter motor by means of a polarized cord. Pressing the switch then operates the starter".

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Once it starts, take your finger off the button or unplug the cord if it's not on a switch.

Keeping your finger on the button, or leaving it plugged in while the unit is running serves no purpose, except maybe wanting to damage something on purpose.

Many will even shut off, i.e. time out, until they cool off , if it does not start and just keeps cranking.

if a unit does not start after a few revolutions, fix the problem, as a proper machine should fire right up on an electric starter. Even a hand pull should fire up a properly maintained machine.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
tadawson is right, its just a flow connection button ....
Wait a moment . . . he said the Ariens docs said it also contained rectifiers? If so, that would be a very odd starting motor . . . Someone said 110V DC earlier, and I that was a typo. If true, perhaps something died in the box (possibly damaging the motor) and it was left to fill the hole. If true, testimg with 120V AC might cause damage. . . .

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wait a moment . . . he said the Ariens docs said it also contained rectifiers? If so, that would be a very odd starting motor . . . Someone said 110V DC earlier, and I that was a typo. If true, perhaps something died in the box (possibly damaging the motor) and it was left to fill the hole. If true, testimg with 120V AC might cause damage. . . .
!!!!!!
Yes some briggs starters used to be made this way (starter button box included rectifier inside it). Plugging a dc motor into an AC source will quickly fry things.
Kinda crazy that a DC motor would have a plug inviting 110 AC - - - -

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pic is worth a thousand words

Attachments

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
no. you would be better off taking it off and trying to hook it to 12v like mustie did in his second video than 120v. the starter should at least turn if it actually works or is not seized.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
It VERY clearly says 120V DC in his docs - 12V won't do anything but hack it off . . . . Seems like the PO did him a favor and "fixed" it by removing the box . . . Video someone linked shows that that it's just a switchand a bridge rectifier and nothing else, so should have been trivial to fix (unless the motor died - on DC, likely a brushed motor that may have worn through it's brushes . . ) or could recreate the box for almost nothing. All things considered, though, I would imagine the block would be the same, and a mkre recent 120V AC starter may well retrofit.

Don't plug it into AC (if the connector even fits). From the pic, it's definitely some form of parallel blade connector (likely with two different blade sizes for polarity) but can't tell of blade size and spacing would even mate with an extension cord or not . . .

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
12V won't do anything but hack it off
if you actually watched mustie1's video you would see that 12v is enough to make the electric motor spin if it actually works. would it spin fast or strong enough to start the engine no but 12v is a lot safer to play with than 120 volts for testing purposes.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just take an extension cord and plug it in until it fires than unplug it. As long as your not running the starter too long it will be fine. You could also buy a cord with a switch on it, I'm sure they still sell them, amazon or wherever. We used to have one laying around. I think it was for Christmas lights, it was an older one with a thick wire. All your doing is instead of using a button to shut it off your pulling the plug off once it fires. 5-10m would be Ariens part number for that cord, I wonder what Tecumseh's part number was for it. Either way they haven't made those starters like that since the 60's so you wont find the cord for that being sold new, so unless you find someone who has one laying around, its not even worth the time or money finding one, like others said, just plug a extension cord in until it fires, than pull it off, it won't hurt the starter.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts