Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Just take an extension cord and plug it in until it fires than unplug it. As long as your not running the starter too long it will be fine. You could also buy a cord with a switch on it, I'm sure they still sell them, amazon or wherever. We used to have one laying around. I think it was for Christmas lights, it was an older one with a thick wire. All your doing is instead of using a button to shut it off your pulling the plug off once it fires. 5-10m would be Ariens part number for that cord, I wonder what Tecumseh's part number was for it. Either way they haven't made those starters like that since the 60's so you wont find the cord for that being sold new, so unless you find someone who has one laying around, its not even worth the time or money finding one, like others said, just plug a extension cord in until it fires, than pull it off, it won't hurt the starter.
And you get a nice fire! 120 V AC into what is clearly a DC motor will NOT work!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just take an extension cord and plug it in until it fires than unplug it. As long as your not running the starter too long it will be fine. You could also buy a cord with a switch on it, I'm sure they still sell them, amazon or wherever. We used to have one laying around. I think it was for Christmas lights, it was an older one with a thick wire. All your doing is instead of using a button to shut it off your pulling the plug off once it fires. 5-10m would be Ariens part number for that cord, I wonder what Tecumseh's part number was for it. Either way they haven't made those starters like that since the 60's so you wont find the cord for that being sold new, so unless you find someone who has one laying around, its not even worth the time or money finding one, like others said, just plug a extension cord in until it fires, than pull it off, it won't hurt the starter.
or, just pull one off a more contemporary engine with a recognizable set up? on the first 10M i picked up, the PO had installed a starter ket into the bump out. i could swap?

·
Registered
241 Posts
And you get a nice fire! 120 V AC into what is clearly a DC motor will NOT work!
Thats a 120 volt starter. Theirs 3 prongs that come right out of the assembly on those, the 12 volt version has a lead on it, i know I've had both, theirs no lead on that one. As I already mentioned, as others all ready mentioned all he's doing is pulling the extension cord off the plug in on the starter in place of the cord that had a switch to let off of to stop the flow. Also you mentioned the mustie video. Mustie was working on a Briggs Sno-Gard with a Briggs starter. Those are different than Tecumseh, the Briggs starters are 12 volt starters with a switch box added that has a rectifier inside the switch box taking the starter from 120 volts to 12 volts. Tecumseh starters are not like that, their is no rectifier inside the switchbox of the newer Tecumseh starters. With Tecumseh you either have the 12 volt version or the 120 volt. Your taking information you saw in a video from a different brand engine and starter and using that information to give innacurate information on this thread about a Tecumseh starter. He cant apply 12 volts to that starter. Their is no lead and their is no switch box, the 3 point plug in is built right into the body of that starter pictured. He would have to take the body of that starter apart to get to the wires inside to apply 12 volts, that wouldn't work anyway becouse the starter would be disassembled and if you did manage to get that into a testing position with the body of that starter open, you would be at the greatest risk of starting a fire or getting electrocuted. That is a 120 volt starter the prongs to plug it in are on the body of the starter, taking an extension cord and plugging it into it applying the 120 volts to spin it over is how its designed. All he was saying is that the cord with the switch for it's missing, you don't need it, as soon as the engine fires, you pull the extension cord. Its that simple.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Removed it. Tecumseh 31562. Blades same size.
Why did you remove it, was it not working? Thats the original version of the Tecumseh 120 volt starter, theirs no switch box like the newer one you showed after. If it works its fine, plug an extension cord into it and it will spin, on the engine do that until the engine fires and immediately remove the cord, all your doing is bypassing the cord they supplied that had a switch. If the starter isn't good and its siezed or immediately smoking when you add electricity to it, that's a different story, use another starter, but if it works and spins over its fine. Use it. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
241 Posts
or, just pull one off a more contemporary engine with a recognizable set up? on the first 10M i picked up, the PO had installed a starter ket into the bump out. i could swap?
Why, is their an issue with that starter? If it works theirs no reason too remove it. As others mentioned plug an extension cord in like you normally would on the newer starter, crank it till the engine fires and simply pull the cord, no harm no foul, fully functional. Its a 120 volt starter, your applying 120 volts to crank it. Your not doing anything bad or wrong by doing that. One person was a little confused in he thought that was a 12 volt starter and also gave an example of a Briggs starter that uses a rectifier in the switchbox to convert 120 volts to 12. That Tecumseh starter is a normal original 120 volt starter, just plug in the cord to start your engine and once it starts unplug the cord.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Why, is their an issue with that starter? If it works theirs no reason too remove it. As others mentioned plug an extension cord in like you normally would on the newer starter, crank it till the engine fires and simply pull the cord, no harm no foul, fully functional. Its a 120 volt starter, your applying 120 volts to crank it. Your not doing anything bad or wrong by doing that. One person was a little confused in he thought that was a 12 volt starter and also gave an example of a Briggs starter that uses a rectifier in the switchbox to convert 120 volts to 12. That Tecumseh starter is a normal original 120 volt starter, just plug in the cord to start your engine and once it starts unplug the cord.
dusty,

thx for your input. my immediate concern with the original starter is that the directions clearly indicate it should be used with the double cabled (input/output) rectifier switch box. why do you not consider that important? some feel you can by-pass it (unnecessary), others feel it is a necessary step. why would tecumseh provide it if you could just plug directly in to the starter?

·
Registered
241 Posts
dusty,

thx for your input. my immediate concern with the original starter is that the directions clearly indicate it should be used with the double cabled (input/output) rectifier switch box. why do you not consider that important? some feel you can by-pass it (unnecessary), others feel it is a necessary step. why would tecumseh provide it if you could just plug directly in to the starter?
Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. You asked about that starter so I and a couple of others offered our advice and knowledge on them, after offering it to you, only you can decide what to do with the information provided. I work on small engines for a living all year long. The starter is safe to be used by just plugging in an extension cord and pulling it off once it has started. Theirs footage of other pretty well known small engine mechanics that have started those the same way as I and others just mentioned, it will not hurt the starter, all your doing is removing the cord instead of letting go of a switch to turn it off. Or as I advised earlier, go on the internet and purchase a 3 prong cord with a switch on it, to let go of, or switch off after the engine has started. Thats all that cord was that Tecumseh provided was a cord with a switch. It was their first starters they were more primative, so it wasn't built on yet, they included it separately at the beginning, as a result, they got lost. A few years later, they came out with the first ones that had the switch built on right next to the prongs, later they added the first switch box, which was white porcelain and could be bolted under the heater box to hide them, later, they came out with the ones with the black plastic box that could be bolted directly to the top of the engine. Putting a cord to the plug on that starter and keeping it their until the engine starts and than remove the cord will not hurt it, its the same thing as holding down a switch and letting go after it has started. You wont hurt it. Do whatever makes you comfortable. Look around, maybe someone has one for sale, or put out a want ad for one in the wanted section of this forum. If I had one, I would gladly sell it to you, since I would not use it and its not required to use that starter. Good luck with it.

Reactions: rwh963

·
Registered
270 Posts
it states.. set of rectifiers.. sound to me like a converter from AC to DC.. its worth a try plugging directly.. but... it could cost you a starter motor.. long term.. or short term.. would you find out if it works?? absolutely! does it mean itl work very long?? no guarantees ;) lol

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
i'm gonna set it aside for now, and install the new model i removed from another tecumseh engine. not worth risking me or the starter.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts