Snowblower Forum banner
121 - 140 of 142 Posts

· Registered
616 Posts
I was able to get out is because a skidsteer came by and tackled the end of the driveway for me.

Lo many years ago I was sent out to the base to clear out some paths for the Credit Union members. Huge plaza and a very small branch. I had access when the base front end loader came by to clear the parking lot. Hey, can you get that thing up on the Plaza and clear off the bulk? He did.

So my boss calls me and asks, how you doing. I got it cleared. Huh, there is no way you could clear all that. Well I borrowed a big yellow snow shovel!

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Sigh 50 plus degrees here and rain and wind. Had this been snow it would have been a blizzard and probably dropped 2 feet of snow. But now what snow we had is gone..

Oh well I needed some help on cleanup as I never touched the last inch and a half of crud that turned into glare ice in some spots of my driveway.

/shrug It will snow eventually this year

· Registered
250 Posts
So the “big storm” dropped 3“-4” and maybe another 1”-2” today… but 25% of my concrete is bare from being wind blown… wind chill today and tomorrow approaching -20F With +30mph winds. Where is the joy in trying to snow blow in this mess? The curse of the “new” Honda lives.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
So yeah NOW mid January it decides to line up a storm every 3 to 5 days for us .... YAY!

Ugh just wish it would make up its mind though 2 or 3 inches of snow and then change to rain SUCKS

this last one we got probably 4 to 6 inches of snow then it lightly rained on that and made it a quagmire of slush. Which froze very nicely and made a very nice 3 to 4 inch thick layer of hard frozen slush crust on top of whatever it had landed on. UGH I miss just 12 to 18 inch dumpings of snow..

· Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Have never seen a January like this one, mild and little to no measurable snow. The King of all January thaws.
We had a great start to the season with 4.5 feet in November and 3 feet in December, but the machines have sat unused since the Christmas blizzard.

We got about 3" of wet packing snow last night, normally I would wait for the next snow fall to blow it but have been itching to blow some snow. So I fired up the 74 Ariens, not as satisfying as 8 - 12" but beggars can't be choosers. Right after I put the machine back in the garage, a snow squall hit, the huge snow flake type of snow and for the next hour continued coming down dumping another couple inches.

The 2 week forecast is for colder temps and snow most days, but no storms. It looks like we may have a more normal February temperature wise with hopefully lots of snow. I am thinking that with the Great Lakes being warmer than normal and having little to no ice cover, we could see more heavy lake effect snow than normal in the next 2 months if the temps stay well below freezing.

· Registered
255 Posts
I got an inch yesterday. A thin layer of ice underneath it. Luckily the sun came out today and the temps were in the lower 40's. Driveway clear and ready for the rain coming up tomorrow night and thursday morning.

All of these back to back storms hitting the North East are just dumping 1-2" and then rain washes it away. Haven't touched my snow thrower since I got it ready for the winter back in October. My plow shovels have done all the work (and my back).

· Registered
839 Posts
Finally had a "real" storm. Hours and hours of rain finishing as snow, 3"-5", wet/ sloppy

Put about 1/2 hour on the 2015 Pro, 2 hrs on the 2018 Pro and 2.6 hours (meter reading) on the Kraken.

· Registered
255 Posts
Finally had a "real" storm. Hours and hours of rain finishing as snow, 3"-5", wet/ sloppy

Put about 1/2 hour on the 2015 Pro, 2 hrs on the 2018 Pro and 2.6 hours (meter reading) on the Kraken.
I put 30-40 minutes on my plow shovel. It would have only been 10-15 minutes if there wasn't a thin layer of ice under the 1" of snow.

· Registered
43 Posts
Not even a coating in Lower Bucks, SE PA. Usually I'd be itching for a nice storm, but I'm still not back to work and rehabbing from a couple of bad falls before Thanksgiving. Wouldn't be able to run it anyway let alone play outside without my catpaws on. Come on pool season.

· Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, I'm over it now.

A whole winter without using the snow thrower is fine. I'll use the can of Trufuel in my lawn mower. Glad I only put a little bit of fuel in the machine when I got it ready for winter in October.
Same here, prep it beginning of Oct around my b-day. At least I know it'll run if we do get a late storm. My wife has run it before.

121 - 140 of 142 Posts