Snowblower Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
just thinking logically. i have dealt with many damaged seals and if you can't find a good used one off another machine it generally sucks to spend $20 on a seal kit when you can get a complete carb.
Ok mr Spock! Actually, I was thinking similarly, that’s why I wanted to try. It went from no start to one pull start. And I saved all the originals from other machine recently, so might as well give them a try. You’re right, if I need new seals all around, much easier just to go new.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ultrasonic can damage internal organs,

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have a unit retired from a dentist's office. It has a heated unit built in. It does clean most carbs.

However I occasionally find that it will not break up everything in small passages, most notably anything that is crystalized. It also has trouble with carbs that have gas/oil so old that it has turned to a tar like substance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For small parts or to conserve cleaning solution, place the parts covered in solution in a zip sealed plastic bag. Put the bag in your cleaner filled with plain water. Turn on and presto, change-o, clean parts without having to toss a bunch of cleaning solution. The ultra sound travels through the plastic bag into the part in the cleaning solution.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I have a unit retired from a dentist's office. It has a heated unit built in. It does clean most carbs.

However I occasionally find that it will not break up everything in small passages, most notably anything that is crystalized. It also has trouble with carbs that have gas/oil so old that it has turned to a tar like substance.
To test the functionality, hang aluminum foil in the solution, turn the ultrasonic cleaner on, holes should appear in the aluminum foil. If not, it's broken.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

·
Registered
4,163 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I've never heard of this. Is this what you use?
We used SC52 Cleaning Concentrate, which is moderately acidic & formulated to strip metal oxides and metallic coatings. Cleaning Solution SC52
You could run virtually any ferrous or nonferrous metal through it without damage...
  • May be used on all ferrous and nonferrous metals:
    • Aluminum
    • Iron
    • Brass
    • Copper
    • Pewter
    • And other metals
I believe the Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner is similar.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Canadian tire “mastercraft” made by MTD with tecumseh engine HM-80 1155334N
134 Posts
I sprayed carbs with carb cleaner > Took apart and soaked in berrymans carb cleaner > ultrasonic cleaner w/ simple green purple > rinse/dry > reassemble with new carb kit = my 1981 blower and 1998 mower start on the first pull. (Blower is started via electric start but it fires up instantly).

both machines get trufuel or aspen exclusively.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts