Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....which powered tool for use outside at home, has been your most “pleasing purchase”?

Maybe mine was an industrial fan. Fit some mesh in front of it and it catches plenty of mosquitoes. Makes other jobs more pleasant to do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
....which powered tool for use outside at home, has been your most “pleasing purchase”?

Maybe mine was an industrial fan. Fit some mesh in front of it and it catches plenty of mosquitoes. Makes other jobs more pleasant to do.

Now that's a great idea!

Mine has to be my little riding mower. I push mowed for 15 years after we bought the house. Took me about an hour and 15 minutes.

Now, I'm done in just under a half hour. :smile2:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Probably my Husky/Honda pressure washer. Twice a month for two vehicles, twice a year my home.

Price it out for 8 years...paid $400 for it. Would have spent $200+ a year in car washes + $200 more for twice hiring the house washing out. So, that's somewhere around $2800-$3000 at the very least saved over time.

Reactions: Biketrax

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Probably my Husky/Honda pressure washer. Twice a month for two vehicles, twice a year my home.

Price it out for 8 years...paid $400 for it. Would have spent $200+ a year in car washes + $200 more for twice hiring the house washing out. So, that's somewhere around $2800-$3000 at the very least saved over time.
agree. the power washer sure comes in handy.

also a chipper for small branches.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Oscillating saw, hands down about the best tool ever invented IMHO. I have a Karcher pressure washer, Toro zero turn mower and more... Oscillating saw wins. :smile2:

Reactions: dbert

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Interesting question. My first thought was the pressure washer, just because I'm amazed at what it can do.

But then PaulMys made me realize that yeah, it's probably my lawn tractor, if we go by what's saved me the most time, and also versatility. I've gathered a dethacher, plug aerator, and now a lawn roller, for it. I also have a trailer ball on it, and use it to move the utility trailer around. Dragging that through the yard manually was no fun when I tried.

While mine doesn't really hold me back, it's a basic 20-22 year old Craftsman, with a geared tranny. Eventually I'd like to upgrade to a garden tractor with a hydro.

Not quite a tool, but I sure appreciate the heck out of the generator when the power goes out. We've had several multi-day outages, during winter, it was a massive help to keep the lights, furnace, and fridge running.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My zero turn mower. I spent years using a regular lawn tractor on my property and it took almost 3 hours to mow the lawn. I used it because it was free.

One day I saw a guy using a ZT and saw how easily he went around trees. I then thought : I NEED ONE OF THESE.

When my tractor finally quit 2 years ago, instead of trying to fix it I decided it was the GO signal to purchase a ZT. I love using it.

It now takes about an hour for the whole property.

I bought a brand new Toro SS4200. Despite the SS line being Toro's low end residential machines, I am so far very satisfied by the build quality and especially how EASY it is to remove/reinstall the deck to clean it compared to my '96 Columbia tractor.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was enthralled by a gas powered pressure washer too. Honda power, easy starting, reliable, great for cleaning stuff! Elation turned to disdain though when it came time to change the oil. Couldn't find the drain plug. What the...? Cue the re-read of the manual: "Remove dipstick and tip machine to drain oil." Are you kidding me? A Honda engine without an oil drain plug? Well... ok. Maybe this is not so bad. Nope! It's worse! It's a royal pain in the caboose! What the heck were they thinking besides saving a few bucks in machining? I really like the pressure washer but have a big pair of boots that I'd love to introduce to the geniuses that brought this product to market.:icon_cussing_black:

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
My Briggs-powered washer is the same way. Tip it to drain it. That's a pain, the next time maybe I will try using a pump with a tube, to suck the oil out from the crankcase.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
8hp leaf blower, 5hp has no blowing power; pressure washer is a good thing, again 8hp is the way to go, I have 5, 8, & 12, big big difference between all 3.

·
Registered
772 Posts
8hp leaf blower, 5hp has no blowing power; pressure washer is a good thing, again 8hp is the way to go, I have 5, 8, & 12, big big difference between all 3.

i would have to say my big Backpack leaf blowers or my old 038 stihl chainsaw. they are both fun to run and make not so fun tasks pretty fun to complete.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts

I use a couple of cheap box fans out in the garage and like your idea I've modified them a bit. I pick up the cheap furnace filters for a buck or so, 20x20 and duct them to the intake side. That way they are filtering the air and removing dust before blowing the air at me and around the garage. Can't say I notice things in there being cleaner but the filters do trap a lot of dirt. It's cheap, easy and works.

As for what I like best, I'm torn between my cordless drill and reciprocating saw. I use the drill with a 3" bulb planting auger for planting stuff and the usual nut and screw driving applications and the saw works as a cordless chainsaw without the mess and fuss of a 2 cycle for smaller <4" branches which I have tons of.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tough to choose just one favorite! For different jobs, there's different favorites.

But the 33" deck on the walk behind mower is quite a time saver.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
my yard-vac

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Oldest is my 12hp Cub Cadet 127, will turn 50 this summer....... But, my favorite is a Portable Winch, powered by a tiny 50cc Honda engine, saved my bacon a few times, just wish I could have bought one 30 years ago.....

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
It's always fun learning about "new" equipment. I didn't know that little gas-powered portable winches were a thing. That's pretty cool! I could see how that could really come in handy sometimes, especially since it could work anywhere.

It's not the same, of course. But my little EU2000i inverter generator is nice because it's about 45 lbs, and can give 2000W of very-quiet electricity anywhere you need it. Turning lots of tools into at least portable/use-anywhere, albeit not cordless. I have it on a little luggage cart, so it's easy to roll around. For a hobby, I'd have to carry it, along with some other stuff, out into fields.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts