Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following the recent storm, there have been many posts about problems caused by ice buildup before the snow accumulated. I, for one, had first-time difficulties going uphill.

I'm wondering now about putting down deicer prior to the snow/ice to stop the problem in advance. That's something I never do although I have 50lbs of calcium chloride in the garage to treat my asphalt driveway. Reading online pre-treating seems to be universally recommended.

Does anyone routinely pre-treat prior to snowfall?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I don't think you'll find pre-treating universally accepted here. Most of us are into taking good care of our equipment. Running salt through our machines is not good. Many will tackle the end of driveway pile first, so the city salt will get flushed with clean snow later. I put down a little salt when I'm finished.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I certainly understand what you're saying. My equipment is pristine and I can't recall ever putting deicer down in advance so perhaps that's part of the reason. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Snow plowers do it but most plowing in a storm starts at two inches. On a drive way most people wait till the end and by then the melting snow re freeze's. Best to wait till after you done cleaning

1 - 4 of 4 Posts