Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all set to buy an Ariens Deluxe or Platinum snowblower at an independent dealer. But I stopped into a Simplicity dealer who told me that a few years ago Ariens began making "dumbed-down" models with cheaper parts for the big box retailers.

Furthermore, he said that those "dumbed-down" models have now become the standard for all Ariens models, regardless of where it is sold.

So, in other words, even if I buy from an independent dealer I will be be buying a cheaper "big-box" version.

I would appreciate any comments on this.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
all TORO, ARIENS snow blowers are the same where ever you get them. the only difference is that the big box stores do not service them.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
And there has been some interesting dealings with getting box store bought machines, serviced.

Not that Ariens did not step up to correct it, but it's just something to deal with.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Depending on the size you buy and somebody here could tell more exactly, the smaller size comes with a Chinese made engine LCT I believe hence to be able to stay with the competition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all TORO, ARIENS snow blowers are the same where ever you get them. the only difference is that the big box stores do not service them.
Okay, so the consensus is that the snow blowers are the same at dealers or big boxes.

But I wonder the the Simplicity dealers comment is true. He said that originally Ariens had different models for big box vs. dealers. But about a year ago Ariens decided to simplify things and began selling the big box version at both locations.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Okay, so the consensus is that the snow blowers are the same at dealers or big boxes.

But I wonder the the Simplicity dealers comment is true. He said that originally Ariens had different models for big box vs. dealers. But about a year ago Ariens decided to simplify things and began selling the big box version at both locations.
Slime ball sales 101. Rail the hel1 outta the competition to get YOU to buy THEIR product. Being in sales myself, I hear of this all the time. I do not subscribe to this theory. Everyone has their place.

Take a wonder into your local Ariens dealer and pick their brain. Ask them to "sell you" on their product versus a Simplicity. Tell the Ariens dealer they are being trashed talked. Give them a chance to save the sale. Could be interesting. Who knows, you might end up getting a little money off the Ariens if you are ready to pull the trigger right then and there.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Oh,,,,,,,, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a student of today's machines, I have my hands full with the Gilsons of the world. However keep in mind that Ariens and Toro have multiple tiers of machines from Pro/Commercial down to some that are pretty lightweight. I believe that at least once upon a time the big box stores did not get the top shelf models. I'm thinking those days have passed. In that statement a grain of truth may lie.

It is also true that on many products the big box stores have exclusive variations that include cost reductions. This allows a lower selling price and confounds comparison shopping since the have unique model numbers.

Pete

·
Registered
864 Posts
I was all set to buy an Ariens Deluxe or Platinum snowblower at an independent dealer. But I stopped into a Simplicity dealer who told me that a few years ago Ariens began making "dumbed-down" models with cheaper parts for the big box retailers.

Furthermore, he said that those "dumbed-down" models have now become the standard for all Ariens models, regardless of where it is sold.

So, in other words, even if I buy from an independent dealer I will be be buying a cheaper "big-box" version.

that's the private retailer trying to dissuade you from buying the big box store machine, because he doesn't have the volume and can't meet the price the big box store sells at. when you stack them high, you can sell them cheaper. don't believe it. having worked in manufacturing for a while, no company is going to run separate lines for big box stores and small retailers. it would not be cost effective.

I would not be too thrilled about getting a machine serviced at a private retailer. they too hire kids for minimum wage that don't know their wrench sizes, and can do a number on your machine. it's best to service your own machine, and learn as you go.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts

HE is blowing you smoke..

·
Registered
125 Posts
A Makita model 123 is the same no matter where you buy it
A Honda model 123 is the same no matter where you buy it
A thing-a-ma-bob model 123 is the same no matter where you buy it
Big box buys thousands and may be cheaper than an independent that buys 10.
They get volume discounts. It's the same. Service is the variable. But even then, some big box offer White glove service.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
no company is going to run separate lines for big box stores and small retailers. it would not be cost effective.
Buffalo, that's not really true across the board. Walmart is so large that they do have products that are unique to them and slightly different compared to what you'd buy elsewhere.

I bought a humidifier from them a couple of years ago and learned that the product I had purchased was unique to Walmart and I could not get repair parts for it when it failed :( Your statement is likely accurate for snow blowers.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I would not be too thrilled about getting a machine serviced at a private retailer. they too hire kids for minimum wage that don't know their wrench sizes, and can do a number on your machine. it's best to service your own machine, and learn as you go.
Watch it there.... I was that kid some 33 years ago! :D
Pete

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Buffalo, that's not really true across the board. Walmart is so large that they do have products that are unique to them and slightly different compared to what you'd buy elsewhere.
Not just Walmart. A number of years back I bought a gas range from Sears. Prior to that I'd looked at it at a number of retailers and found more than one model number on what looked to be the same range. When I asked at Sears what was going on I got an interesting answer from the dept mgr. Seems some mfg's will assign a different model number to units sold through Sears, Walmart etc. He said it was due to 'price match' representations, you know the 'find the same unit at a better price' and they'll match it plus 10%. Well if you can only find that exact model through their stores, you'll never find it for a better price. Made sense to me as the model number turned out to only be available through Sears and the range exactly matched others with the exception of a slightly different model number.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I know walmart does this for black friday deals with TV's. They have some smoking deals for black friday for TV's, then you find that the TV you bought was a model that was either a stripped down version exclusive to walmart for black friday, or a new old stock from 3 years ago. Buyer beware, do your research before jumping on a deal.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Best Buy does this with their computers, too. They get stripped down models to undersell the competition. You get home with your new purchase only to find out you've been had!

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts

Its a myth that there are different models at Big Boxes versus dealers..and its also not true that "dumbed down" models from big boxes have become the norm for all models..it IS true that ALL snowblower manufacters (and makers of garden tractors, and push mowers, and pretty much everything..) have been creating cheaper and cheaper "low end" models over the years..because there are always buyers who want "cheap first and quality second"..the manufacturers oblige..this is due to the "big box" effect in general..people want their cheap junk.

So there are cheaper models than there used to be, because of the Big Boxes..
But in addition to the "cheap big box line" they all still have their "higher quality middle of the road line" and the "high end best quality Pro line"..Only the lowest end of the spectrum has been degraded due to the "Big Box" effect IMO..

Simplicity is no different than Ariens in this regard..you were simply fed a line by a Simplicity dealer..you could get the same line from an Ariens dealer, (just switch the brand names) a Honda dealer, Ford dealer, Chevy dealer, etc etc.."Our products are SO superior to that other brand"..Most of the time, when comparing models of similar specs, they are pretty much exactly the same.

Some brand names are "overall" better quality than others however..Ariens, Simplicity and Honda are considered the "top three" for snowblower brands..Honda could be legitimately argued to be top quality, then I would place Ariens and Simplicity at the same level..then a step down for Toro and MTD, (Toro used to be at the same level as Ariens and Simplicity, but I now rate them lower since all their 2-stage snowblowers are now made in Mexico) then there are a wide range of 100% made in China machines that are very low-end and low quality..I wouldn't buy one of those..ever.

I proved that dealer models and big box models are identical:
The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.

Scot

·
Premium Member
729 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
My understanding is that you cannot get the Deluxe 28+ (921037), Platinum 24 SHO (921038), or the Platinum 30 SHO (921040) from Home Depot. You'll need to go to an independent dealer for those.

On the flip side, a Deluxe 28 (921030) is the same machine regardless of whether it's from Home Depot or your local independent dealer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts