Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now in this pandemic we have a new adjective to label, compare and rank one another

. “I am essential”

“You are NOT essential”.

Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
871 Posts
yes that is how it is going, doctors are choosing who lives and who dies,
i yesterday lost a life long buddy and a biz partner, a person who had also been a member of this site, "old ope mechanic". he got sick on wed afternoon needed a vent they gave it to a younger person , by yesterday morning he was gone

this is number 2 for me from this bug

i'm 73 that means "not essential"

·
Registered
579 Posts
yes that is how it is going, doctors are choosing who lives and who dies,
i yesterday lost a life long buddy and a biz partner, a person who had also been a member of this site, "old ope mechanic". he got sick on wed afternoon needed a vent they gave it to a younger person , by yesterday morning he was gone

this is number 2 for me from this bug

i'm 73 that means "not essential"
So sorry for your loss 87powershiftx2. Sadly, I guess us older folks are automatically "non essential"! Stay safe, stay healthy everyone!!!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss 87p. I think we all are essential so lets do what we are supposed to do and screw this virus! I think we control our destiny if we take proper action. C'mon my brothers!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So sorry for your loss 87powershiftx2. Sadly, I guess us older folks are automatically "non essential"! Stay safe, stay healthy everyone!!!

It is not fair Cause some some young dr believes the young man has more to contribute to the world but in hindsight the older man has already contributed more than most people will ever do in 2 lifetimes.

My condolences to 87powershift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I did a search for Old Ops Mechanic and he had 194 responses to posts but never posted a question. I looked at a few, and he was right on in his responses, showing everyone's contribution can be helpful to others. Sorry to hear this terrible news. Let's be safe to stop the virus. It is everyone's responsibility to protect the other to stop the virus. Stay home, when going out wear a mask, limit your trips, stay a safe distance, avoid idle chatter, do your business and leave, order on line for home delivery.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I couple of weeks ago, my brother had a heart attack and he's now home with a pace maker...out in the garage working on his boat! At the same time, my Mom got a bug and I thought we were going to lose her. She's also, back at home and cheerful as ever.

Who knows who has the inner strength to survive? I wouldn't want to be the Doctor that had to make that call.

Three cheers to the "front line fighters"!

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I have taken the essential vs non-essential to typically be referring to workplaces, and things like that? Is this a separate type of discussion?

Relative to people having to go to work, I don't disagree with some businesses being more critical than others. If I can't go to the hobby shop (or similar) for a month, I can deal with that. But if you can't buy groceries, gas, etc, that's a bigger problem.

I don't consider anyone's life non-essential. But hospitals are almost certainly going to become resource-limited during this process, which will force some very difficult decisions, which aren't something we see here often.

They will likely need to triage patients, based on a number of factors. But those factors will have to include things like someone's overall likelihood of surviving. If two patients need a ventilator to survive (and will die without it), and there's only one machine, it seems sad, but reasonable, to consider the overall situation of each person.

If one person is otherwise healthy, but the second has a number of existing health issues, perhaps one person is more likely to survive. Maybe there's an 80% chance of the healthier person surviving with a ventilator, vs a 30% chance of the other person surviving with a ventilator. So you're more likely to save a life if you give the ventilator to the otherwise-healthy person.

Exaggerate the numbers further, and say one person is 95% likely to survive with a ventilator, and the other person only has a 5% chance with a ventilator. If you give that ventilator to the person with the 5% chance, then in all likelihood, you're making the decision to save 0 people, rather than 1.

I don't think this makes either person non-essential, please understand that I'm not trying to place a value on their lives. And I'm not remotely trying to "trivialize" this, or imply that a life isn't worth saving. I'm so sorry to hear about 87powershiftx2's friend, and it's terrible that a ventilator was not available for him.

But with finite, overloaded resources, it seems understandable if they are forced to act in a way that tries to save as many lives as possible. There just won't be enough equipment and doctors to go around. It's awful, but it's the reality we're facing at the moment.

In an ideal world, there would be enough resources to do everything for each and every patient. But as this builds, I don't think that will be possible. Flattening the curve can at least try and reduce the rate of infection, and reduce how overloaded the hospitals are. Hopefully requiring less of those very-difficult decisions.

In the meantime, we can do our part to try and help. Stay home, wear a mask, protect yourself, stay healthy.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Essential or Not

I have spent my entire life in the Food Industry....first as a Manager for KFC, and then as a Meat Cutter/Butcher. I currently am on my way to 41 years in July, in the Meat Industry, all with one company. For years, I have questioned myself, and wondered if I shouldn't have pushed myself harder, to do something better. I have made this a Mantra with my kids....pushing them harder to do something better. But amazingly, I now find myself an essential worker....I am one of 2 people who run a "Million dollar a month" Meat Dept... for a major Corporation.It is surreal here in Saskatchewan. I won't say who I work for, just for the legalities sake. But the realization that my job is becoming more important, even essential is amazing. I will be there so people can get what they need, and proud to help, through this entire pandemic....through thick or thin....if they were to close the grocery stores we would have total Anarchy.... and all I really wanted to do this winter is to play with my newer Ariens snowblower.....:sad2::surprise::crying:

We are in this together....help each other please.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
I have taken the essential vs non-essential to typically be referring to workplaces, and things like that? Is this a separate type of discussion?
It does refer to workplaces..
This thread has wandered into "a seperate type of discussion".. but lets stop that please.
That quickly enters conspiracy theory land, and rumour, and has little basis in reality.
So if you want to talk about jobs, then fine.. no need for the other discussion.

Scot

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
My daughter is an ER Dr. Yesterday she was happy to get a day off after 39 days in a row. She slept mostly and today she is upset that she isn't out there helping. I told her, " Play with your dogs, enjoy the one day "OFF" slow down long enough to say hi to your husband" Tomorrow you start saving lives again...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yes, and off to work I go. Not a glamor position as Coby7's daughter, but more of a grunt position in a totally different industry. We will see what is new in policy and procedure tonight. Hopefully no fellow workers are sick yet.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Yes, and off to work I go. Not a glamor position as Coby7's daughter, but more of a grunt position in a totally different industry. We will see what is new in policy and procedure tonight. Hopefully no fellow workers are sick yet.

If your working, it must be essential. Stay safe, and thanks. :angel:

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I wish no harm on anybody, life is fragile, each individual bears responsibility to protect their own lives as much as possible. In many instances, the best protection will not provide what is needed to extend good health and life.

There are too many people, mostly young who could have exciting lives if they made the right choices. Instead I read about the annual 60-70K drug overdoses that needlessly end lives. Yes, drugs, smoking, alcohol and other abuses are topics for tomorrow, not today although IMHO they are worthy for consideration. I urge all to do those things that minimize risks to good health. Life can be needlessly short if not.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Company I’ve worked for the last 18 yrs has a company called Abbott as it’s biggest customer, Abbott is the maker of the new test equipment that’s supposed to give results in 5 min and many other companies we supply out products too are in the battle against the virus, So instead of staying home we all got over time added to our hours, Wife is also still working in a drug rehab so we are surviving this ok so far, just as long as we keep finding toilet paper we will be good.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Sorry to hear about everyone’s loss. My job, high school government/ economics teacher, has moved online. Essentially, I’ve become professor sweat pants.

My previous job, a hospital security officer, has served me well, in how to protect myself.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
I have completely missed out on the "work from home" experience..
I've been going into work every day since this began, and actually working much *more* than normal..

I work in IT for a large company that supports the health insurance industry.

I'm working 10, 11, sometimes 12 hour days..we are just swamped with work.
yesterday I worked 7 to 7.. got home, had two hours at home, then off to bed! ;) But i'm not complaining, i'm grateful to still have my job..

My wife Deb has been working from home for the 4th week now.. She is getting all our spring yard work done! :)

Scot

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I have completely missed out on the "work from home" experience..
I've been going into work every day since this began, and actually working much *more* than normal..

I work in IT for a large company that supports the health insurance industry.

I'm working 10, 11, sometimes 12 hour days..we are just swamped with work.
yesterday I worked 7 to 7.. got home, had two hours at home, then off to bed! ;) But i'm not complaining, i'm grateful to still have my job..

My wife Deb has been working from home for the 4th week now.. She is getting all our spring yard work done! :)

Scot
Thanks, Scott, for being there and putting it on the line when so many are simply walking off the job out of fear. Please be as safe and cautious as possible. Someone has to keep working. You're essential.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts