Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time using my Toro after my Aruba trip and what a mess!! I start it up outside the garage (thank God) and one of the lower oil fill caps popped off and oil sprayed everywhere. What a mess. The best is yet to come. I cleaned it up as best I could (leaving my house siding for later) and started doing my driveway. After a while the drive started to slip and would only go forward at all in the upper speeds. So I know it's no coincidence. I tip the machine up on the front of the bucket and take the access plates off and yes, you guessed it, some of the oil had dripped down inside right onto the drive wheel. I used a lot of spray brake cleaner and cleaned everything off that was slick, that was supposed to be dry. The thing pulls harder than it has in years. I always thought it pulled a little weaker than my old machine in the lowest speed so now I'm wondering if the drive wheels pick up a little grime and should be degreased every year as part of maintenance? BTW I'm putting RTV on the 2 lower oil fill plugs and THAT will never happen again!!

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Use a can of CRC electronic part cleaner then compressed air and put some spray belt dressing on the friction rubber wheel. That should make it engage right.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Tell us about the Aruba trip . . .

Keep those oil caps tight. Good thing you got to clean off the friction disk. Oil does seem to go everywhere it's not supposed to . . .

·
Registered
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brake clean will eat up that rubber friction disk pretty darn quick. I would use IPA.
Use a can of CRC electronic part cleaner then compressed air and put some spray belt dressing on the friction rubber wheel. That should make it engage right.

Too late guys.

Tell us about the Aruba trip . . .

Keep those oil caps tight. Good thing you got to clean off the friction disk. Oil does seem to go everywhere it's not supposed to . . .

Aruba is one of the nicest places I have ever been. Gorgeous boring weather EVERY day. The people genuinely welcome you there instead of tolerating you, like a lot of places.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lucky you noticed it and didn't run the engine oilless.

What year is the Toro?

I think they used to come with a Briggs engine but now come with a Loncin.

I'll look. I think it's about 8 years old now. Original engine blew up (Tecumseh 10HP) becuse the linkage froze from water dripping on it and it raced into the stratosphere when I started it on a very cold morning. I now have a Briggs 1550 snow engine on it.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
think he means Isopropyl alcohol , yet it could mean International Phonetic Alphabet, or india pale ale,
Two of those could work, the other probably not. I'll leave it up to you guys to decide which is which. :devil:

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
We went to Aruba a while back, it was really nice. Great snorkeling, we had a lot of fun.

Good luck with the oil cap, that sucks. I was using a borrowed pressure washer a few months ago to clean the driveway before sealing, and the deck before staining. It's got governor problems (gov is not working, was just running wide-open when I got it), so it's spinning faster than it should be. I rigged it up to reduce the RPM, but I kept thinking about what a mess it would be if it blew a rod and sprayed oil all over the areas I was about to seal/stain :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Two of those could work, the other probably not. I'll leave it up to you guys to decide which is which. :devil:
correct about 2. one will clean the part , one will help get you drunk after clearing the snow, the other how many outside of law enforcement or the military even know of it

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
brake clean will eat up that rubber friction disk pretty darn quick. I would use IPA.
I'm surprised, because when you use it to clean off brake parts, often the over-spray will go on the brake hose. I have never had any brake hoses fail from the contamination from brake cleaner. Is a brake hose different material than the friction disc's "rubber" ?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I soaked the friction wheel pretty good with the brake cleaner so if it turns to mush I will be happy to report back so no one else does it!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts