Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an areins 10ml60d and the auger is spinning but the rakes are not spinning

so its either the gear case which is discontinued or something else

any recommendations on how to fix

GEAR CASE PART# 01010500

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Did you check to see if the belts were tight??????? or if those stupid sheer pins broke????? post pics or a vid so we can have a looksee at this problem that is rearing it's ugly head. Anyhoo ALOHA from the paradise city.:behindsofa::eek:mg::emoticon-south-park

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Sauce,
welcome to the forum!
Jack Mels is a member of this forum who sometimes has Ariens parts for sale..
but before we get that far, a few things:

I have an areins 10ml60d and the auger is spinning but the rakes are not spinning
Just to keep our terms straight, the "augers" and the "rakes" are the same thing..you meant the impeller is spinning, but the augers/rakes are not spinning.

1. How long have you owned this snowblower?

2. If more than one year, have you been greasing the augers once a year?

3. Remove all the shear pins, from both sides, confirm they are unbroken.

4. With all the shear pins removed, can you spin both augers freely and loosly? do they spin independently of each other? can you spin one in one direction, and the other in the opposite direction? and does there seem to be no movement of the gearbox or impeller as you spin them?

5. Put the shear pins back in..did you have to line up the holes to put the shear pins back in?

6. With the shear pins back in, try spinning the augers/rakes..if the gearbox is not broken, you should be able to spin them, by hand, but with some effort, which should also move the gearbox, and turn the impeller..if the gearbox is busted, they will spin more easily, and the impeller will not move..

It sounds like a busted gearbox most likely..but try running those tests and let us know what you find out..

Scot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They spin extremely easy in both directions, all shear pins lined up and unbroken,

anything else, oem after market?, maybe woodruff key???

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Unfortunately that's most likely a busted gearbox..
since you didnt answer my questions 1, 2, or 5, ;) we dont know the cause, but its likely the augers are "frozen" (rusted) to the shaft, due to lack of auger greasing..which then makes it much more likely for the gearbox to break, instead of the shear pins..

but that's beside the point now..(just something to be aware of for future reference)
its probably not a woodruff key on the imepller..one more test will determine that or not:

When you manually spin one auger, on only one side, does the other side also spin along with it? or, when you spin one side, does the other side not move?

If both sides move together, when you are only manually moving one side, the gearbox might be ok! but if you spin one side, and the other side does not move, *and* the shear pins are in place and not broken, unfortunately that can only be a broken gearbox..

Let us know the results of that spin test, and meanwhile I will look into some possible parts sources..

scot

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Sometimes You get Lucky and it's a Broken Roll Pin that holds the Helical gear to the Rake Shaft. You'll have to disassemble it to see if its the Pin or the gears are shot.
I do have Auger assemblies available.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
usually you can see if its a broken roll pin by pulling out both oil fill plugs. push gently on the gear with a flathead screwdriver and spin the rakes, if the gear does not spin with the rake shaft you may have a bad roll pin, if it turns with the rake shaft the gear is bad

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not to get too off-topic; but of the 4 10ML60Ds I have, none have grease fittings to grease the auger hubs and shaft. Yet, none of mine were found frozen when I got them. Go figure. Interestingly (at least, I think so...) my later machines that HAVE the grease fittings, are the ones that I have had seized augers on! I'm not saying xsauceny's couldn't be frozen; don't get me wrong! I'm just saying I could never figure out the irony of this. You'd think that the easily-greased ones would be the ones that would not be stuck...Maybe just coincidence....

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
The trick is if the PO not only had a grease gun but also used it occasionally.

I'd guess it is just a coincidence but it is pretty odd.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Not to get too off-topic; but of the 4 10ML60Ds I have, none have grease fittings to grease the auger hubs and shaft. Yet, none of mine were found frozen when I got them. Go figure. Interestingly (at least, I think so...) my later machines that HAVE the grease fittings, are the ones that I have had seized augers on! I'm not saying xsauceny's couldn't be frozen; don't get me wrong! I'm just saying I could never figure out the irony of this. You'd think that the easily-greased ones would be the ones that would not be stuck...Maybe just coincidence....
huh, that is interesting! I never noticed that before..but I just went out to the garage and looked at my 1962 Ariens 10ML35, no zerks on the augers! but the 1971 models do have them..

the 1963 owners manual has a section on lubrication, but makes no mention of greasing the auger shafts!

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/ST-63-R1.pdf

I suspect Ariens never imagined some of these snowblowers would last 40 or 50 years! ;) but on later models, zerks were added, so they could be greased.

I also noticed something when comparing a 1962 ariens (with no auger zerks) to a 1971 Ariens (with auger zerks)..the '62 has tighter clearances on both ends of the auger shaft..less space for grease to get out, or water to get in..Ariens probably just designed them to not need greasing for a normal lifespan!

The '71 Ariens, with grease zerks, has a wider gap on both ends of the augers..for the grease to ooze out when its forced in the zerks by a grease gun. This wider gap was obviously deliberate, because now they wanted the augers to be greased by the owners...but if an owner *didnt* grease them, the wider gap could let more moisture in!

So generally, having grease zerks, and greasing the augers, is obviously better than not greasing them..but if owners didnt grease them, the ones with grease zerks could perhaps be more prone to rusting and freezing up..

Scot

·
Registered
550 Posts
Dad's '67 10m has zerks, with about 1/8 inch clearance at the end of each auger shaft. I just lubed them on thanksgiving weekend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts