Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to renew this topic on my 28 pro hydro with the EFI system. Not soon after purchasing it I attempted to start it and it would not start. Brought it to the dealer. They let this thing sit out in the sun and rain and rust and fade. After 4 months at the dealer I got it back, had to compound and wax the hell out of it to bring it back and they provided me with all new stickers. I put it away for the winter again properly as per the manual and attempted to start it yesterday and no start. After diagnosing it today and testing as per the shop manual. I isolated the issue to the fuel pump being locked up. Removed it and provided direct power to it and confirmed it just taps and will not spin up. This machine has maybe 3 hrs of run time and I didn't believe there's a true way of storing these without having issues in the future. E-free or egas stabilized and same outcomes. I really should of stayed with my tried and true Craftsman 30 that started every time guaranteed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fixed!!!! This is the fix for the LOW FUEL PRESSURE ERROR 27.

Sorry for the long post guys.

What happens to these fuel pumps is that from sitting, they lockup, thus not pressurizing the fuel system causing the ECU to flash a code of two + seven. Which indicates low fuel pressure.
What I did was remove the fuel pump from the tank, I then sprayed WD-40 in both ends of the pump and on the filter side of the pump is a small hole to the left on the rear of it and sprayed the WD-40 directly in that hole and observed it come out the inside of the filter indicating that I was spraying it internally. I then used a 9v power supply from god no what (yes I save them all) which will not harm the motor. Tapping the wires to the pump terminals I would hear the motor attempt to spin but just a tap sound. I then used 2-stroke oil into the hole and flushed it in with more wd-40. Just a slight improvement, but I could still not get it to spin up. At this point I put the pump down and took a break. Coming back to it later I said Let me look for a 12 volt power supply. These have minimal amps so they will not burn out these pumps ( not that I cared because it didn't work anyhow) I then put on the negative lead and tap the positive and BAMMMMMM it spin up beautifully!!! I then reattached the 9 volt power supply to see if that was enough to spin it and it spun it perfectly. I then took it to the snowblower attached to power leads from the machine. Turn the key on and the pumps spun up as it should. I reassembled the tank quickly and put in trufuel and it started on the first pull and now starts/runs perfect!!! I also cleaned the fuel injector prior to all this which could only aid in its performance. I saved myself the headache of going to these horrible repair shops near me. THANK GOD!!!!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
So to renew this topic on my 28 pro hydro with the EFI system. Not soon after purchasing it I attempted to start it and it would not start. Brought it to the dealer. They let this thing sit out in the sun and rain and rust and fade. After 4 months at the dealer I got it back, had to compound and wax the hell out of it to bring it back and they provided me with all new stickers. I put it away for the winter again properly as per the manual and attempted to start it yesterday and no start. After diagnosing it today and testing as per the shop manual. I isolated the issue to the fuel pump being locked up. Removed it and provided direct power to it and confirmed it just taps and will not spin up. This machine has maybe 3 hrs of run time and I didn't believe there's a true way of storing these without having issues in the future. E-free or egas stabilized and same outcomes. I really should of stayed with my tried and true Craftsman 30 that started every time guaranteed.
Oh, i thought your problem was with your Kraken. So is this 28 Pro EFI still under warranty?

In my area of Ottawa Canada nobody uses ethanol fuel in small engines. With or without stabilizer it is problematic. Here we can buy ethanol free 91octane premium fuel that comes with extra cleaners.

My dealer says that fuel issues are the main cause of EFI problems. Good luck with your machine.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, i thought your problem was with your Kraken. So is this 28 Pro EFI still under warranty?

In my area of Ottawa Canada nobody uses ethanol fuel in small engines. With or without stabilizer it is problematic. Here we can buy ethanol free 91octane premium fuel that comes with extra cleaners.

My dealer says that fuel issues are the main cause of EFI problems. Good luck with your machine.
Thanks,. I got it going. Read my previous post as to what I did. This is the way to get these going!! Hopefully it never happens again but now I am fully educated and experienced in diagnosing the issue so that's a plus for me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope it helps someone to be honest. I had such a horrible experience with the selling dealer, it was unreal. I am so settled now that I understand the simplicity of how this works to an extent lol. I wish I took the time to do this the first time it acted up. This is not an easy machine to maneuver when dead. Especially getting it up in a pick up bed.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
i to am wondering did you store it dry? generally the pumps use the fuel as a lubricant so if they sit dry they generally lock up. also might be worth adding some 2 stroke oil to the gas that is in the tank and then running it or a bit to get it the pump. since these things don't use a O2 sensor it shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,496 Posts
Just thinking that earlier today. What would be the best way to store efi. Dry, wet, upside down?
I believe Ariens says wet . . . (and I know that car fuel pumps also can get hung up if allowed to dry out, so this is likely no different.) EFI is sealed, so the evap/gunk issues seen in carbs is not really a factor . . .

It would seem like a low level in the tank to keep things wet in storage, followed by full a fill to freshen at the beginning of the season would be the winning ticket.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I stored it wet. But near me is only egas. But I used the marine stabil that "supposed" to treat ethanol. I have to agree with @crazzywolfie in regards to adding some 2-stroke oil. I think that will actually help keep the pump lubed a little. I did drain out all the reg gas with the stabil. Refilled with Trufuel and added a touch of oil to it. Maybe even store with the 2-stroke Trufuel mix 50:1 in the future? I think these little fuel pumps are garbage. I'm just gonna bump the pump again with 12v if it locks again. The pump is actually rated for that. Curious why they didn't just make it a 12v battery instead of the 7.2 6-cell hobby battery for RC cars and such.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
i would guess because it doesn't likely require a full 12v to build the pressure needed to run plus 7.2v is likely more easily achievable by the stator than 12v.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Read my recent post on the mountaineering edition. There were metal shavings in the gas tank which messed up the fuel pump. Put a magnet in your tank and check for metal shavings.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Read my recent post on the mountaineering edition. There were metal shavings in the gas tank which messed up the fuel pump. Put a magnet in your tank and check for metal shavings.
Even if there were and thankfully on mine there are none, the fuel pump has a built in pick up filter on it that would make it impossible to have contaminates enter the pump. It is actually a well built unit visually wise. The more I would tap with the 9v you would hear it improve as the tap got louder or longer as I perceived. I would like to get my hands on another and cut it open to see why these bind up. If the rep sends me out a new one I may do that to the original and make a new post of my findings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts