Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a Ariens 1027LE that was from a estate sale and the seller knows nothing about them and just wants to sell it, It was made in 08-09 from what I can tell, what should I offer, He's thinking around $400 but I think I might be able to talk him down if he can't get it to start. Looks as though it's been in storage and paint is in great shape (Doesn't look like it's been used much at all) Hoping I could keep this one for me and sell what I have.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well driving a little better than a hour and meeting him at 5 with a new spark plug and starting fluid and see the real condition, Hope its good but looks good in the pic, may come home with it then to get it running well and put the MTD for sale cheap and my snapper I may keep for a backup but may sell also

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hoping the engine is good, Talked with the guy and he really has no clue on engines, He buys estate sales and abandoned storage units and does not deal with engines but this came with a lot so he just wants it gone, If it fires up on starting fluid I'm good to go and then I'll go through it and keep t for me. Will try to bring down the price but if it is in good shape I'll go with the $400 since that I already have in the snow blower fund

Reactions: THE Wolfman

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was def NOT the one in the pic, Not THAT bad but most of the welds had rust coming through but no rot so should clean up nicely with some touch up paint, Going to go through it and check all the bearings and the one thing that was broke is the gear to turn the chute, It has the quick chute option, also the lever for the 0 deg turn they used back then has half the screw in it hanging by the cable but easy enough to put a new bolt, axle seems to be having both wheels locked together so I'll have to re mount it to see if it still works, With the list of things I found I told him $200 seeing the rest wasn't really in that bad shape but $200 was low even in my opinion and he was ready to let me walk for that offer and he said the best he would go is $300 so we made the deal, Well AFTER I got it to fire up with starter fluid and a fresh plug. Just ordered the kit for the quick chute and both gears so it just cost me another $51 but I think for $351 it may turn out a decent blower for that price, Although I don't know how much more it will need to get it back to good working order but will be worth it to have a good ariens in the stable.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:blowerhug: YUP and i'll be starting the teardown tomorrow, first the carb then the belts and see how it runs then see how the rest is.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
" But I think for $351 it may turn out a decent blower for that price "

Hmmmmmmmmmm........
Something about that number I Like :icon-clapping-smile
Plus it's an ariens, Can't go wrong .

Always been my favorite number ever since I was Possessed to put a
351 Cleveland into my 66 Mustang Coupe...
Not an easy task for 1966, but you could put a 460 in 1967 after they stretched the engine compartment. But it was fun to do & race at New England Dragway.

Now I've moved on to Ariens

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Please show a few pixx of what you find. Thanks

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No pics but so far so good, Belts actually look good and no wobble on the impeller bearing but going to check out more closely after I get everything running, the lever and cable for the turning this thing was not attached and part of a broken screw still in the handle so since the cable was not in the best of shape I went to my local Ariens dealer and got the new handle and cable, EWWW and the carb.... This poor thing had been sitting a long time, Carb barely moved and the bowl was a mess of white crusty stuff BUT I have the old carb from my wood chipper (Same Tecumseh 10HP engine) well anyhow pulled the plastic float out of the white crusty mess and put it in the wood chipper carb that ran great but had a leaking brass float (HEY I didn't want to wait LOL A new carb has been ordered anyway with adjustable needles) But sadly its cold and pouring rain so no pulling out of the over stuffed garage to test run, Will do that tomorrow and open up the gearbox and hope it's in decent shape while I change out the cable. I'll try and remember pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok a little update, have not done a lot due to the cold and already have a blower so taking my time and going to do this right, have a pile of parts in, New gears for the chute controls, new drive wheel since I'll have it apart I may as well put one in, new auger bearing and most of what's been holding me up is deciding what to do about the axle which is FUBAR Shaw has given me a few great suggestions and even offered to help if needed (real nice guy and thank you much for your offers) what I think I may do which I discovered in a thread here is they make a kit to add auto turn to these older blowers, a few $$$ but since I'm planning to keep this machine I really don't mind spending a little on it, Soon plan to put the auger bearing in and paint to inside of the bucket, auger and impeller while I have it all apart anyway and that will give me a little time to think if I want to spend the money, and replace any parts needed as I pull it apart. The poor neglected old girl is getting a second chance on life and hopefully lasts me a good few more years.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Sounds like you're doing it right. Would love to see some pictures of your project; especially when changing the auger bearing.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
May try today if I can get out of work early enough, It was upgraded to a double belt pulley at some point so I'm hoping it's not too rusted on but will find out hopefully tonight.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually ordered some Allis Chalmers Orange today with a few other things I need, Had a fight with it today trying to get the pulley off, I think I may need the Mapp gas for this one, Wanted to drill holes and use a puller but there is no room to get the nuts on behind the pulley due to it being a double belt auger pulley, Bearing is def wasted, Can actually move the shaft around and worst case if I destroy the pulley it's $45 for a new one. Getting expensive but I'll get there.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
GAfternoon Duntae, How thick is the pulley flange? What is the diameter? What I've done before, is drill 1/4 x 28 holes though the face of the pulley flange, close to the center, but NOT touching the shaft. By threading them, you won't need nuts and can use a small puller. Haet and beat a little and they will usually free up. Worst case scenario, (mis-drilled), it needed a pulley anyway. I've had 90% success rate. GLuck, Jay

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Jay, a good idea but you honestly can't really tell on this pulley, I goes on the keyed shaft and bottoms out in the hole on the pulley with only a hole big enough to fit the bolt, Really tight fit with this pulley, I think this is right before the started putting a flange on the shaft and 3 bolts to hold the pulley on, When I look up parts I come across both pulley's with and without the flange, Biggest issue is it's a double pulley so I can't really even got anything under it either

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took a little drive today with the 1027 to visit Shaw351, One heck of a nice guy. Helped me get the rust welded pulley off to change the auger bearing, Now have it all apart and will be cleaning out any rust and doing some painting, We had to cut the pulley off due to how badly it was rusted but they sell a kit for the 926 (uses the same pulley) that comes with the both pullies and a a new idler pulley with arm for only $10 more than the pulley alone AND it comes with 2 new belts. This one has a double belt pulley for the auger so I spent the extra $10. And I just want to thank Shaw351 once again, he's got a nice shop also.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Took a little drive today with the 1027 to visit Shaw351, One heck of a nice guy. Helped me get the rust welded pulley off to change the auger bearing, Now have it all apart and will be cleaning out any rust and doing some painting, We had to cut the pulley off due to how badly it was rusted but they sell a kit for the 926 (uses the same pulley) that comes with the both pullies and a a new idler pulley with arm for only $10 more than the pulley alone AND it comes with 2 new belts. This one has a double belt pulley for the auger so I spent the extra $10. And I just want to thank Shaw351 once again, he's got a nice shop also.
Your welcome, im always glad to help others. This Arien's pulley was one of the worst I've ever had to do, because we were not able to use a large puller to get it off due to the fact this pulley Hub only had a 5/16 through hole to the main shaft, not an open 3/4 inch hole as most others are.

Love to pass on knowledge and experience to perpetuate the trade crafts. Most young people today would rather just throw something away and buy new rather than learn how to fix it themselves. Sadly the new items that you buy today are not as well made as machines and things from yesteryear. Fortunately we have a place like snowblower forums.com to keep things alive and well. :icon-cheers:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts