Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Ariens 10ML60
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm restoring a 10ML60 from 1964-65. It has the original Tecumseh motor. It's missing the air filter shroud and has been replaced with some weird looking black knob that doesn't do anything useful. The motor runs great (starts on second pull every time) so I don't want to keep running it without a filter.

I've spent hours scouring the internet trying to find any details of what I could put on there. Jack's has parts details for the motor, but not the custom shroud provided by Ariens. Ariens provides parts details for the tractor but leaves out the motor details including the shroud. So I'm left with nothing to go on.

My research shows it's a Walbro carb LMB-107, Tecumseh part number 631068. Does anyone here have a shroud and any details of what kind of filter to get? I'd like to restore this with original parts if possible, but am willing to jury-rig something if I have to. I'm new to restoring and am enjoying the process, but get stuck easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
That black button is a manual primer.

The cover going over a snowblower engine is called a heater box.

Winter engines, like on a snowblower, do not usually run an air filter for winter operation, as no dust in a snow environment.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
@Robin,

Upon further photo inspection, you need some serious cleaning, and also need to address that broken handlebar at the frame mounting.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
:welcome: to SBF Robin Murray

Snowblowers do not have air filters. There are some exceptions like the bigger 20+hp units but almost anything a regular homeowner is going to buy won't have one.
The black button on your carb should be spring loaded. When you're going to start it in really cold weather you press and hold the black knob in and it should move a plate over the carbs throat blocking it. Then you pull the engine over slowly to let the suction pull in raw gas. Let go of the black button and then pull to start.

Here is a great site for everything Ariens: - - > https://scotlawrence.github.io/ariens/Page3.html

Here is the owner manual for a 10M-L60 - - > https://apache.ariens.com/manuals/st-62-I-R.pdf

I think we're seeing a crack in the handlebar at the mounting bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
1964 Ariens 10ML60
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. This came with a lawnmower attachment, which seems to be very rare. I eventually want to see if I can source a snowblower attachment and have both. So in fact I'm running it in the summer at the moment, so am in need of a filter to keep out the grass, seeds, dust etc.

The black button must need something else since it does nothing right now. It doesn't 'prime' anything. It's just a spring-loaded useless button. It doesn't need any priming however since it starts very easily.

Yes it does need cleaning and repair, hence the restore. The handlebars were already "repaired" when I bought it so it's useable but ugly. I'm currently getting the lawnmower attachment powder coated and will address the tractor section next.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Post your general location. Members may be able to help with the shroud.

·
Registered
1964 Ariens 10ML60
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To me I'd take crude but simple and effective every time. There is virtually nothing that can go wrong with this system, other than not understanding how to use it...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, east of Maine.
Well......i “may” have what you are looking for. The primer on my shroud looks different tho.Will post some pics this evening.

·
Registered
1964 Ariens 10ML60
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like I will have to come up with a custom filter for summertime use. I really don't want to run it without a filter - I'm often cutting alongside tall grass with lots of seeds hanging down, or kicking up dust and gravel. Eesh! At least I have a better understanding of how it's supposed to be set up. Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
@Robin … That manual Prime works flawless .. the newer rubber push buttons usually degrade , etc.

I have a manual primer on 2 of my units, and they work great.

Running that as a mower in the summer, you certainly want an air cleaner on it.

Also, in the photo, that handle bar is definitely cracked.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I never thought about the Trac-team system being used in summer without a filter. :surprise:
Cutting grass you would want a filter for sure. You wouldn't be able to retain that push button primer with a filter. Might need to get a different carb with some tabs to mount a filter. You should figure out the filter before you pay for a cover that might not fit over the filter. Might have to do something "custom".

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Well......i “may” have what you are looking for. The primer on my shroud looks different tho.Will post some pics this evening.
Here ya go

Attachments

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Here ya go

That's the Wrong One. The Correct Airbox on the Early engines has a Different Screw Pattern at 45 degrees. Also, as far as Air Filters Go, They used a Round Piece that was Screwed onto the throat of the carb, and a Canister-like Filter Screwed to the Round Piece after Removing the Airbox, as Noted in an Earlier Reply.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I should have paid more attention to the photo. :facepalm_zpsdj194qh There should be two mounts where the choke is screwed to the carb now. If you remove the choke assembly in the summer and fabricate or buy something to mount an air filter it should mount to the carb you have now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts