Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the above snowblower, since new. Engine blew up. Thinking of re powering it with the brand new HF 459cc engine.

Has anyone else done a HF re power on one of these ? If so, a link to the thread would be greatly appreciated.

I am extremely technologically challenged. Not even sure how to do links or post pics. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
115 Posts
New mounting bolts/holes are easy enough to fabricate. The hardest part might be getting the pully off of the engine shaft if it has seized on there. Other than that if the shaft height is different you might have to buy a couple belts until you find a size that works well ...and then buy a lot more belts to have in reserve. 25ft lbs of torque is no joke. You'll definitely need to add significate weight to the front of your machine to counter balance the increased weight of the new engine - maybe 30+ lbs. Have fun! let us know how it goes.

Camera Font Camera lens Parallel Cameras & optics

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's really not overkill for my situation. Driveway is directly against the house on my side, neighbors house is only about 6' away on the other side & has a leaky basement. So they don't want me putting snow there. So even when we get only 6" of snow, I end up with 4' of constantly reblown concrete snow at end of driveway ---- in addition to what the snow plow leaves. I need all the power, blowing distance and tons per hour I can get in a walk behind.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's really not overkill for my situation. Driveway is directly against the house on my side, neighbors house is only about 6' away on the other side & has a leaky basement. So they don't want me putting snow there. So even when we get only 6" of snow, I end up with 4' of constantly reblown concrete snow at end of driveway ---- in addition to what the snow plow leaves. I need all the power, blowing distance and tons per hour I can get in a walk behind.
I never said it was overkill. I think its a great idea for the size of your machine. Either that or the 420 depending on availability. I was just letting you know what was involved with the repowers I've done to my machines. I didn't post a thread so I just let you know what I did. Especially the belts that I've shredded more after repowering. I lived in Boston for a long time and across the street, over the fence and into and small yard was the only place to put the snow. So I completely understand the need for throwing distance and power. I recently built my dad who still lives in Boston an Ariens ST1024 924117 repowered with a Tecumseh OHSK130, the exact engine I believe blew up on you, thats a 13HP to 24" bucket. A 16HP to a 36" bucket isn't overkill.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Homesteader makes some excellent points..........That Preditor is a new engine so not much experience out there with it. However, The Preditor line has a good reputation for what ever that is worth. The preditor is not a snow ready engine. Have you looked at other snow ready engines? Like on this website and others like it?

I am not trying to talk you out of the Preditor. But it is not a snow engine and it will require at least a jet change and I would recommend shrouding for the linkages. Not everyone does that but I have found it very beneficial. It is just extra work on top of everything else. You are looking at $450 for the Preditor. You may find a snow engine with a bit more HP than 13, that will be easier to install. Even if it is more money it may be cheaper in the end. You need to consider what else may have to change like the belts and pulleys. If you get an engine with the same out put shaft size that can be a huge savings. In cost and labor. I am tying to get you to think about the whole scheme of things so you can make a better decision for you. Have you installed an impellar kit? That helps with distance and snow moving efficiency.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have exact measurements for shaft height and shaft length but it is a 1" diameter shaft & so is the predator. I looked at a few snow engines online. Anywhere from $1300 to $1999 !!!! Too much money for me. I absolutely love and appreciate all the input. I'll be 60 next year & am not an engineer. Just a retired guy looking to save some money, have some fun and recycle an awesome blower. I have no welder either.

I'm waiting till summer to do this project. My fingers work better then. Lol . I am glad that the Pro versions have 2 auger drive belts. Even more important when upgraded hp is involved. That new 459cc Predator is 15.8 hp.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you don't want to go too far and spend too much time, I'd take the Predator over the Tecumseh even if both were new.

Also, the spec on the Predator engines is a bit strange. They say it's gross which is why it's always higher than Honda's equivalent as Honda is using Net.
But, on a snowblower we don't use an air filter and the carb is jetted richer, so...........

I'm betting there's a good chance that Predator 459 setup on a snowblower properly would actually be a healthy 16HP.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably, plus there are already some parts from an aftermarket company that will fit it, and I am sure that there are more hot rod parts coming for it. Just check out Red Beards Garage on U tube.

The Predator engines are like Frank's Hot Sauce ---- people use that s#*! on everything !!! Lol Go carts, bikes, trikes, agricultural applications, etc..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I stopped by my local HF today and took some measurements. It seems that all the shafts are the same. 1" in diameter and a useable shaft length of 2 & 13/16". Only thing I couldn't get was the center height of the shaft from the deck. All the engines were mounted on these very unstable bases, which were mounted to the shelves. So if there is a difference in shaft height, I suppose it could be made up with a plate under the engine or larger or smaller pulley sheaves.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
So, I stopped by my local HF today and took some measurements. It seems that all the shafts are the same. 1" in diameter and a useable shaft length of 2 & 13/16". Only thing I couldn't get was the center height of the shaft from the deck. All the engines were mounted on these very unstable bases, which were mounted to the shelves. So if there is a difference in shaft height, I suppose it could be made up with a plate under the engine or larger or smaller pulley sheaves.
why do that just get the right length belt and use any pulley you want

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
why do that just get the right length belt and use any pulley you want
I was pondering the idea of more distance. If the new engine shaft is slightly lower, I was thinking of a 1/2" bigger pully, for more impeller speed, which I think would turn the impeller faster ? I guess that's also provided the engine has enough hp & torque ? I am certainly no expert. This will be my first repower.

Your probably right though, I should stick to stock first & see how it works.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The 13hp ohv Tecumseh, while a great engine, put out noticeably less power than the Briggs and LCT 420cc motors. That new predator should be killer! 👍

Reactions: Tony-chicago

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'm hoping so. Plus if I still need more power, there are hop up performance parts in the works already, from what I hear.

The V-twin is about 30 lbs heavier than the 459. The 459 is just about equal to stock weight and size.

The 459cc also has a forged crank.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts