Snowblower Forum banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Today's update.
I ended up buying a steel tube and making spacers for the stock belt guide and just bent it to fit properly. I'm calling it good until it proves otherwise.

Filled the gas tank 1/2 full, put 1.16 qts of oil in it. Fired it up. Letting it run 2 hrs. Drain the oil. Refill, let run 4 hrs. Drain & refill and every 20 hrs from then on, or once per year at the most. Seems to feel noticeably more powerful than old engine.

I recycled the old engine. I donated it to a guy who works on snowblowers. My Tecumseh didn't actually blow up. It started revving up very high. I shut it off before it actually self destructed. I didn't want to put any money into it. He was happy to have it. He wanted to give me something for it & I said no. I was glad to help him out & see the engine to keep on living. He said he could fix it. And I am happy to have more power in ours.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Also removed the inspection cover for the auger gearbox. The insides looked like brand new. In 2017 I did that and while it looked good it also looked like it needed some more lubricant. At that time there was no 00 grease in stock by me, so I added about 10 pumps of grease and some 140w gear oil. This time I added some 00 grease & buttoned it back up. Gonna try to order a impeller bearing. Sounds a little noisy.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
One of the last things I did on mine was pull the spark arrestor. I don't know if it made any difference but it seemed like it could be a pain down the road and I didn't like how it looked and I don't expect much dry grass, leaves etc while I'm blowing snow.

I removed the air filter and changed the jet to a 0.043 but I haven't made up my mind if im happy with it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Good to know, thanks.

Did you change the jet BECAUSE you removed the spark arrestor and air filter ? Or just trying to get every bit of power out of it ?

I changed it because even running the engine when it was 70 degrees with the air filter installed it seemed a hair lean, not bad but borderline.

Without the filter it was very lean and cold air was just going to make it worse. The spark arrestor didn't have any effect on it I don't think.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Good to know, thanks.

Today, I ordered a 12 mm x1.5 male to 1/4" female npt adapter bushing for the oil drain plug and went to the hardware store and got a 2" piece, a 90° elbow, a 6" piece and an end cap, all in 1/4" npt. It's going to allow me to get the oil drain just over the side and angled to the rear, and just clear the rear, for easy no mess oil changes.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Good to know, thanks.

Today, I ordered a 12 mm x1.5 male to 1/4" female npt adapter bushing for the oil drain plug and went to the hardware store and got a 2" piece, a 90° elbow, a 6" piece and an end cap, all in 1/4" npt. It's going to allow me to get the oil drain just over the side and angled to the rear, and just clear the rear, for easy no mess oil changes.
Can you share some pictures of that?

I couldn't figure out a way I felt was strong enough on my machine to run any turns etc with pipe fittings

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Grille Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Sword

The adapter goes into oil drain hole and this will go into it. I am going to angle is on a downward slant. If I feel strength is an issue, I will just add a support hanger from an insulated cable clamp, like this.

Audio equipment Wood Household hardware Gas Automotive lighting

Wood Water Metal Auto part Rectangle

Still waiting on adapter. I'm just hoping that it will screw in without having to loosen up engine hold down bolts.It will be a tight fit.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I'm running a 420 on a 24" and I feel it's perfect for me. Certainly not overpowered.

That's my opinion as well.
Honestly, I feel a 24" with an 8HP is similar to a 1980s lower end car with a 3 speed automatic. You know, the kind with 80-100HP in a 3500lb car that when you floor it and it downshifts you still don't really go anywhere? It's a "you get what you get and have to make it work" machine. Yeah, it works, but, bleh.
Where's with the 420, it feels like the engine is actually sized appropriately and doesn't max out constantly. The power is there when you want it, and often it runs nice and easy.

For light fluffy snow 8HP on a 24" is enough. Otherwise, I think it needs a little more...................beef........

Product Human Jaw Gesture Sculpture

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Glad it's working out well for you.

I went with the 459 cc for a little more grunt. I got the 2 yr total replacement warranty for $100, just for peace of mind. After all, it's made in China. I was told if it fails, just remove the gas & oil & bring it in & we will give you a brand new engine. I really wanted to buy American but a comparable engine was $1300 - $1999 & laughter ensued when they told me "good luck trying to find one in stock." In these tough times, money matters. Especially to retired fixed income people like us.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Glad it's working out well for you.

I went with the 459 cc for a little more grunt. I got the 2 yr total replacement warranty for $100, just for peace of mind. After all, it's made in China. I was told if it fails, just remove the gas & oil & bring it in & we will give you a brand new engine. I really wanted to buy American but a comparable engine was $1300 - $1999 & laughter ensued when they told me "good luck trying to find one in stock." In these tough times, money matters. Especially to retired fixed income people like us.

I'm not retired or fixed income, and it still matters, a lot.
I'd love to know the differences between a Predator 420 and a B&S 420 and if it justifies the price difference.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Me too. I mean we all realize that anything can break or wear out and many of us don't mind paying more (within reason) if we are getting more. I pure and simply took a shot in the dark with the engine I bought. I hope it works out. Only time will tell. I wish that there was a comparably spec'd & priced American made small engine. But we are forced to work with the choices we have. My blower is 15 yrs old and I am finding some parts difficult to find. Can't imagine in another 10 yrs, blowers will start at $5k for an entry level machine & probably be $10k for a large machine. Lol..... If we are not forced into battery powered blowers only. Lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Oil drain plug adapter arrived today. I bought 2, incase I ever want to put a 459 on the 28" Pro. Lol

Product Sleeve Font Material property Rectangle

I jumped right into it. It was easy peasy. It seems plenty sturdy and strong. I don't think any support is necessary. Refilled with oil and will let it idle for 4 hrs tomorrow. Engine seems to run very cool compared to the 13 hp Tecumseh. It idled for 2 hrs the other day in 80°F and I could touch part of it with my hand without instant sizzle.

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle fork
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Rim

For added insurance against leaking, I cut up some thick rubber and pushed it into the end cap.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
How much oil do you think the thickness of the adapter will keep from draining?

I'm asking because it's what bothers me about the options I've come up with for mine and I assume I'm just being too picky.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Lol, if you're asking me, then yes, you are being too picky. Nothing that putting the far wheel up on a piece of wood won't fix. Lol

I always tip mine anyway. But now because the mess of an oil change is behind, it should encourage people to drain on time or even more frequently.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
So here are some pics of the oil screen/filter after the first 2 hr run at the 1st oil change. Lots of nasty stuff in there. I will clean and reinstall and check it again tomorrow after 4 hr run.

Office supplies Cosmetics Writing implement Writing instrument accessory Tints and shades
Office supplies Cosmetics Writing implement Pen Ball pen
Office supplies Writing implement Tints and shades Font Ball pen

There are 4 sides of the 3 windows.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts