Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a new scraper bar in this ariens 2+2 standard snowblower. Well it seemed to grab the surface good till the scraper bar was out on. My guess it needs new rubber. What does anyone think? Because it's not grabbing the ground now. Does the scraper bar need broke in. Does it need the snow to move good. I've never had a 2 stage thats powered like a 1 stage. Any thoughts would be appreciated
Automotive tire Fender Gas Grass Bumper

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
That is not a powered unit, so you will be manually pushing it forward, while the augers should assist you by grabbing onto the snow with some forward momentum as well.

Note: .... you are not going to be going forward at all without some nice poly skids, preferably some poly roller skids, (and adjusted properly), on that unit. At present, without any skids, that cutting edge is just grabbing into the ground.

Those units never really took off for a reason ......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs

Here's a really nice Toro I paid 20.00. The lady claimed it worked last winter. She wanted 25.00 I went to hand her the 25.00. She said oh 20.00 will do. I just want it out of here. So I thought man this is a good deal. Got it home started first pull. Then we engaged the augars and they didn't turn very fast. For 50.00 got a new gear and so far runs good. I will see how good it throws snow this winter here's a pic of the Toro 521

Attachments

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Very nice indeed .... Yeah, amazing what can be had out there if you look ... just about all of mine were obtained for free ...

Many times, a little searching can get you gears a lot cheaper than that ...

I restored a nice little Lawn Boy, 5HP, 22-inch I got for free, which I was going to keep, but sold it to a lady who needed a small one to operate .... oh well, I'll come across another ... :)

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 4 snowblowers in my back garage. I just started doing this year. Last year I bought basically a brand new Briggs and Stratton for 50.00 from my neighbor. He only used it 2 times. I was using it 2 years ago. I was doing our driveway. I smelled a belt burning. What happened was a bolt vibrated loose. It tore up the plastic pulley and belt. I fixed it. Last year I checked it to see if anything came loose and sure enough it did. I put lock tight on the bolts and seen a guy had a nice big roper for sale. I told him I'd trade that Briggs and Stratton for his. He said I'm afraid what you have is worth more than mine. I said let me come and see yours. If it runs and the augars and gears work I'll trade you. Everything worked except the belt was wrong and it needed q belt stopper. That thing throws the snow really good. This year I'm going to sell it nthe roper is a 26" 5 speed 1 reverse. Here's a pic of it. It didn't turn out good with the paint. I'll put up q picture of before and after I painted it it starts first pull too
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Road surface

·
Registered
in the garage
135 Posts
i dont know how new your Briggs are?

Breaks and Scrap em IC opposed twin engines is one of the most sampled motor, in the rebuild engine world.

there are lots of Cast Iron Steel parts in these motors, i have 30 plus year old Breaks and Scrap em opposed twins still cranking, i will never scrap em, they are like the classic shoes, no need to buy new ones, just re sole em.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts