Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am siphoning the remaining gas out of my machine for summer storage. Prior posts suggested I then drain carb bowl after siphoning out of tank.
Can someone please show me in a picture where that is located and if all I do once I know where to find it is to take a screw off or if there is more to the process. Thanks as always

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
The bowl drain is at a 45 degree angle on the bowl. The one thats at the very bottom will remove the bowl.

·
Registered
456 Posts

That bowl with the nut at the bottom. Your will look very similar to it. It is very easy to identify, so don't worry. Just pay attention to the shape of it and put it back the way it was. It has a rubber seal ring, so don't lost it. Also, don't over tighten the nut at the bottom, as you can easily strip the bolt hole threads. Just figure tight and then maybe another quarter of a turn.

If you don't have a gas line shut off valve, a lot of time, there will be more gas going into that bowl after you put it back. That gas came from the bottom of the tank, or in the gas line/hose that you didn't drain out completely. The gas will evaporate from it eventually (if little gas), but I like to drain everything out completely.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Most likely you have a none adjustable main jet (short bolt), but if you have a long nut with a spring in it, like in the second picture, then don't touch it. It will mess up the air/fuel mixture. But, adjustable carb usually have another bolt for draining purpose.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
This is what my deluxe 24s bowl drain looks like. Back out the bolt, and the fuel drains out. It has a washer, and the bowl is aluminum so just snug it up when reinstalling. Don’t over do it, you don’t want to strip the threads.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That pic is definitely helpful thanks.

Earlier today I siphoned the gas out of the tank but no matter how many ways I tried to tip it there was still a bit of gas left in the tank. Seems impossible to get it all out with a siphon. What do others do about that?

Beyond that, in terms of draining the carb bowl... literally all I do is unscrew it (having something there to catch the gas that comes out ) and then close it back up?

nothing else to do or other steps before I put this thing away for the summer months

This is what my deluxe 24s bowl drain looks like. Back out the bolt, and the fuel drains out. It has a washer, and the bowl is aluminum so just snug it up when reinstalling. Don’t over do it, you don’t want to strip the threads. View attachment 178361

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Some put carb cleaner and a fuel stabilizer then start it, run it for 5 minutes, then drain, if you already put these in your gas then just drain. If you have a metal tank then fog the tank using fogging oil, comes in an aerosol can. Some have a shut off valve and they turn the gas off leaving gas in the tank but drain the carb.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Myself, on over 45 years with power equipment, I have never trai ed a tank. I have rarely drained a carb, and (until last year) have never sought out zero E fuel (and omlynthen sincemit'smon the pump atnthe local station, and "why not" was the reason), or that other ripoff "designer"crap sold in tiny cans.

I don't refill until I need to use the machine, so rarely much more than 1/4 tank at end of the year. I just shut off the fuel valve, run it dry, and call it good. Next season, fill to the brim with fresh fuel do dilute the old, and never failed tto start. Mower, blower, edger, you name it, this routine has worked flawlessly for me. On the rare occasion one has run a little "rugged"on first use, ignoring it for a week with fresh fuel in it almost always resolves the issue (and that's typically my edger with a 3HP L Head Tec . . .)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just trying to do all I can to avoid what happened this past season. It was my first year owning a blower and as many rookies have before all I did was turn key at end of last season with treated fuel still in tank and then of course when I went to start it up this year before a storm it wouldn’t start up.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I believe in turning the peacock off and letting the engine run dry but choking towards the end.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
@BBNYC ,

I put 2oz of Stabil and 2oz of SeaFoam in all my 5 gallon gas cans when I fill them. I use that fuel in all my summer and winter machines ... Never had a fuel issue ... I do periodically start and run all my equipment year round, even if off season .... Never drained a tank or system.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
All that work to try to get the gas out of that thing. Bah. Just put in some tru-fuel run it for a few min, shut it off, it'll be just fine for next year, or the year after, or the year after that.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Come October November I'd rather start it, if it's running Great then put some fresh fuel and carb cleaner in and let it run for 30 minutes, if it's running poorly remove the carb and squirt some carb cleaner in the holes.

Reactions: Plan - B

·
Registered
110 Posts
@BBNYC ,

I put 2oz of Stabil and 2oz of SeaFoam in all my 5 gallon gas cans when I fill them. I use that fuel in all my summer and winter machines ... Never had a fuel issue ... I do periodically start and run all my equipment year round, even if off season .... Never drained a tank or system.
^^^ this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To follow up on all of the posts since my original post I ended up siphoning as much fuel as I could from the tank and just took the screw off to drain the fuel that was sitting in my carb bowl.

I will say thought that even though I siphoned as much as I could get out of the tank there is a drop in there. Not muchbut when I tip the blower on an angle I can see a drop of fuel moving around if I look down into the tank. Is there a solution for this or it’s not enough to present a problem when I go to start next season?

thanks again for all the help on here. Hopeful one day I won’t be a rookie anymore and can pay it forward

·
Registered
456 Posts
To follow up on all of the posts since my original post I ended up siphoning as much fuel as I could from the tank and just took the screw off to drain the fuel that was sitting in my carb bowl.

I will say thought that even though I siphoned as much as I could get out of the tank there is a drop in there. Not muchbut when I tip the blower on an angle I can see a drop of fuel moving around if I look down into the tank. Is there a solution for this or it’s not enough to present a problem when I go to start next season?

thanks again for all the help on here. Hopeful one day I won’t be a rookie anymore and can pay it forward
I didn't reinstall the bowl right away. I put a small plastic container under it to catch any drop of gasoline. I also left the gas cap opened for a day. All the gasoline in there evaporated soon enough.

I don't think it would cause problem, as long as you drained most of the gasoline out. A little gasoline in there will evaporate eventually. Also use non-ethanol gasoline only. If you used ethanol gasoline, then make sure to drain it out.

Ethanol gasoline has water in it I think. Gasoline if seat in there for too long will eat things up, form gunk, rust, etc. Ethanol gas does it much faster.

Next year when you start it up, it might take a few pulls for the engine to start up (maybe because it takes time for the gasoline to fill up the bowl). After that, it starts up easy.

I just took off my gas tank and about to rinse it up. My gas tank is plastic, so no rust, but look like dirt or something in there.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Some gas lines curve down a little, so they hold some gasoline as well. It is hard to get all the gasoline out. Good thing gasoline evaporate quick when vented.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Once there was no more gas dripping into the cup I had under carb bowl I screwed the cap back on it. Should I have left that open to air out a bit and evaporate any residual. It def stopped dripping.

As for the tank itself I suppose I could just open the cap and let it sit outside for a bit tomorrow. Just wasn’t sure how long that would take to really evaporate.

in terms of the last comment on residual gas in the lines will that be solved by opening tank cap and leaving it open too or there is another way to vent the lines.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Once there was no more gas dripping into the cup I had under carb bowl I screwed the cap back on it. Should I have left that open to air out a bit and evaporate any residual. It def stopped dripping.

As for the tank itself I suppose I could just open the cap and let it sit outside for a bit tomorrow. Just wasn’t sure how long that would take to really evaporate.

in terms of the last comment on residual gas in the lines will that be solved by opening tank cap and leaving it open too or there is another way to vent the lines.
You can pump air into the tank to push gasoline out of the line, but that is overkilled I think. If you worry about a little bit of gasoline in the tank, just leave the gas cap opened for sometime. My tank was completed dry after I left the gas tank opened for a day. Any gasoline in the gas line will evaporate as well.

It is okay to leave gasoline in your tank for a few months. You don't want to use gasoline that is older than 6 months.

Some people don't even drain their tank, but they put in new gasoline and run their engine every few months. I don't trust any fuel stabilizer after watching project-farm experiment. I have fuel stabilizer, but I rarely put it in my gasoline, as I chose to drain gasoline out instead.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts