Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received this 24" SHO snow blower today, unpackaged it and started the installation process. After installing the handle bars I went to move the unit forward and it would not budge. I should note that the unit was not running at the time. I then proceeded to move it backwards, and it moved just fine. However, I just could not move the unit forward. I contacted a nearby dealer and they told me that they have never heard of this before.

I continued the installation process for the chute/cables, which by the way is not very clear in the instructions on how to install it. However, with the help of Ariens customer care we were able to figure it out after about 10 minutes on the phone.

I proceeded ahead by reversing the unit into position since I could not push it forward, and poured some fuel into the tank. I started up the unit, put it into forward gear and it didn't move. I also started to hear some metal on metal banging. I put it in reverse and it still did not move. Put it back into forward gear, and it still did not move.

I called the dealer that I bought it from and they stated the sound was normal as it was a belt, and that I needed to adjust the drive shaft???? When does a belt make a banging sound???

When I got off the phone with the dealer, I rechecked everything tried to push the unit forward and it did not budge. However, I was again still able to push it backwards. I started the machine back up again, and this time a louder metal on metal sound took place and I saw a rod (drive shaft??) pop out from the side of the housing.

I called the dealer I purchased it from, and they told me it's basically my problem to find a dealer and bring it to them for service. I can't believe the kind of customer service offered these days, especially when I just spent $1400 on a brand new machine that I am unable to use. So I left a message with Ariens, and we will see what they have to say. I will also report back with hopefully some answers.

ps

Something else I need to bring up with Ariens. I also noticed fuel dripping out of the gas cap as I was trying to maneuver the unit around. Are they selling lemons these days??? Do they have a QC department??

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Welcome to the forum Vento. Please tell me that you put this purchase on a charge card. Use this to leverage satisfaction from your dealer and Ariens. I would absolutely not pay the charge bill until you have received an excellent working unit. Isn't the gas cap leaking a known issue? This is crazy, here you have good money paid for stuff like this, urgggg!!!! Isn't there someone else on the forum with a new SHO that has a leaking cap and a tiny fuel tank? The Ariens 24" SHO used to be on my stretch to buy love to own list, but I'd have to re-power it with a Briggs & Stratton so I could get a good engine.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I purchased it from an online dealer.
Wow. To bad you did not come to us before you made this purchase. Not a person on this forum would have green lighted this "on line purchase". All of us strongly believe to deal with a brick and mortar authorized dealer, and not even a big box store dealer. Now your stuck up sh1t creek with out a paddle.

My only suggestion is to reach out to Mary Lyn of Ariens, she is on this forum, and is an employee of Ariens Mother ship in Brillion WI, and see if she can help you. She is a great lady and has helped many on this forum. PM her your model and serial number.
DO NOT LIGHT HER UP, this is not her fault. Be respectful, it will go a long ways. You get more honey from bees than vinegar.

Maybe flip the blower on it's bucket (called the service position) take off the 6 bolts that hold the bottom cover on, and stick your nose in there to see if anything jumps out at you in the area of the friction disc (side to side silver looking disc) in relation to the drive wheel (front to back wheel with a rubber cover running the circumference of the wheel)

Good luck!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum Vento. Please tell me that you put this purchase on a charge card. Use this to leverage satisfaction from your dealer and Ariens. I would absolutely not pay the charge bill until you have received an excellent working unit. Isn't the gas cap leaking a known issue? This is crazy, here you have good money paid for stuff like this, urgggg!!!! Isn't there someone else on the forum with a new SHO that has a leaking cap and a tiny fuel tank? The Ariens 24" SHO used to be on my stretch to buy love to own list, but I'd have to re-power it with a Briggs & Stratton so I could get a good engine.
Hi Zavie,

I did purchase it with a charge card, and they are already aware of the situation. As for the gas cap leaking, I've done some browsing around, and it seems like others are having similar issues as well. In addition, I've found some other reviews with similar issues with the unit not being able to move.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
In addition, I've found some other reviews with similar issues with the unit not being able to move.
Welcome to the forums Vento, would it be possible to give us the links to those reviews as we might get more insight to this problem. Thanks
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Boy. Ariens really seems to be taking it on the chin. I'd seriously think twice before buying a new Ariens. Maybe it's because ther are so many of them but this forum seems to be rife with complaints. I dunno....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow. To bad you did not come to us before you made this purchase. Not a person on this forum would have green lighted this "on line purchase". All of us strongly believe to deal with a brick and mortar authorized dealer, and not even a big box store dealer. Now your stuck up sh1t creek with out a paddle.

My only suggestion is to reach out to Mary Lyn of Ariens, she is on this forum, and is an employee of Ariens Mother ship in Brillion WI, and see if she can help you. She is a great lady and has helped many on this forum. PM her your model and serial number.
DO NOT LIGHT HER UP, this is not her fault. Be respectful, it will go a long ways. You get more honey from bees than vinegar.

Maybe flip the blower on it's bucket (called the service position) take off the 6 bolts that hold the bottom cover on, and stick your nose in there to see if anything jumps out at you in the area of the friction disc (side to side silver looking disc) in relation to the drive wheel (front to back wheel with a rubber cover running the circumference of the wheel)

Good luck!!
Liftoff,

I live in the Northeast right now and every B&M store has sold out of snow blowers, and didn't have any platinum 24" in stock. Trust me when I say this, that I called around before making this online purchase as I strongly believe in purchasing from a B&M. Also, the place I purchased this unit from is not Home Depot or Lowes, however I probably would have gotten better service than this dealer. I should note that in the process of calling around, I also found out that Ariens has stopped production of snow blowers and has transitioned over to lawn mowers, which is making it difficult to find one here.

As for this person Mary Lyn, maybe she will see my email and hear my voicemail next week. I won't "light her up," because I won't be doing business with Ariens again, but I will give her a chance and see what she has to say.

Thank you also for suggesting the service position, but I am not going to start doing a diagnosis on this machine as I just want it taken away. Plus if I did that, all of the fuel will just drip out of the faulty cap. :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to hear your problem. I would be beyond livid. Hopefully you will get good support from Ariens.

Charley,

I am disappointed in the fact that the dealer I purchased it from just pawns this off on me to find another dealer to fix this issue, and for them to just walk away smiling with my money. I am also disappointed that a machine of this value left the factory in this condition. There are obvious quality issues and they should be addressed especially when I have found reviews of similar issues.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the forums Vento, would it be possible to give us the links to those reviews as we might get more insight to this problem. Thanks
Good Luck
Normex,

Please go to these links below to see for yourself all the issues people are experiencing with transmissions and gas cap leaks, and more...

Ariens - Platinum 30 customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Ariens - Platinum 24 customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Ariens - Deluxe 28 customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Boy. Ariens really seems to be taking it on the chin. I'd seriously think twice before buying a new Ariens. Maybe it's because ther are so many of them but this forum seems to be rife with complaints. I dunno....

Micah, I won't buy another one. What makes me really mad is that the first name that comes to peoples' minds when it comes to snow blowers is Ariens. Yes, maybe they had superior products back in the day, but with some companies quality changes over time when they start to cut back costs, and as you can see we as consumers are left with products that are sub par for the price we pay. Even when my father was here he could not believe what he was seeing as he always says "Ariens wrote the book for snow blowers!" This doesn't seem to be the case anymore....

My original selection was the Husqvarna ST224, and by the looks of the machine and reviews this was the perfect machine for me. Whether I was going to have these same issues that I experienced with the Ariens is unknown because they were no longer available as they are sold out for the season. But I will tell you this, if they still have this model for the next upcoming season that is the machine I am going to purchase.

I just made this thread to open peoples' eyes that they may not be the company they used to be. Do believe others negative reviews about the products they are currently releasing. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldn't fool with it either. I'd leave it outside and have the company come get it. That's pathetic. I feel for Mary Lyn. She's nice but boy does she have her hands full.
Micah,

It's currently assembled and ready at the end of the garage for someone to come pick it up. The dealer I purchased it from doesn't care of the situation, so who knows who is going to come get it.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
You can bet if you stop payment on it someone will be knocking on your door. Hopefully it'll be your "dealer".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can bet if you stop payment on it someone will be knocking on your door. Hopefully it'll be your "dealer".
Micah,

I mentioned to the dealer that I would be opening up a dispute with the credit card company, and they told me "to go right ahead." Nice response, don't you think???

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Vento, First off,,,,,,, WELCOME to the forum. Lots of good people here willing to help as much as they can.

To bad you happened on this forum, as I'm assuming it is an act of desperation as I think you are staring down the barrel of another massive snow fall being there was no dealer around you that had inventory.

I do smell what you are stepping in, spending BIG money on one of the top of the line snow removal machines in the industry. I get that. I wanna stress that I really do!

However, this is a machine, built buy humans, and it sounds like it was shipped by humans (or gorillas being it was shipped to your home, as I deal with shipping claims day in and day out in my line of work) so there is allot of unknown variables that could have happened with this SHO 24 once it left Billion WI.

I once heard a wise mentor of mine state, "a lack of planning and forethought on your part does not constitute and emergency on my part". More specifically, what I'm saying is you made in impulse purchase, and you got burnt.

I also under stand you not wanting to mess with this to try to fix your issue, but if your not willing to help yourself solve this issue, then why did you post your issue? Frustration would be my guess.

Actually, I did see you post about bringing other "ariens issues to light" To bad those hand full of issues are over shadowing the thousands of machines that Ariens built. Maybe Ariens should have just left their production numbers where they where at, and not tried to help out you New Englanders (again assuming that is where you are at being you do not indicate in your profile)

I have absolutely no association with Ariens, other than using their products since I was born from lawn mowers, to tillers, to snow blowers, and even snowmobiles, yes Ariens even produced snowmobiles.

In closing, I hope you get your issue resolved to your satisfaction, and I hope you stick around this forum to promote what ever product you get to replace your SHO 24.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vento, First off,,,,,,, WELCOME to the forum. Lots of good people here willing to help as much as they can.

To bad you happened on this forum, as I'm assuming it is an act of desperation as I think you are staring down the barrel of another massive snow fall being there was no dealer around you that had inventory.

I do smell what you are stepping in, spending BIG money on one of the top of the line snow removal machines in the industry. I get that. I wanna stress that I really do!

However, this is a machine, built buy humans, and it sounds like it was shipped by humans (or gorillas being it was shipped to your home, as I deal with shipping claims day in and day out in my line of work) so there is allot of unknown variables that could have happened with this SHO 24 once it left Billion WI.

I once heard a wise mentor of mine state, "a lack of planning and forethought on your part does not constitute and emergency on my part". More specifically, what I'm saying is you made in impulse purchase, and you got burnt.

I also under stand you not wanting to mess with this to try to fix your issue, but if your not willing to help yourself solve this issue, then why did you post your issue? Frustration would be my guess.

Actually, I did see you post about bringing other "ariens issues to light" To bad those hand full of issues are over shadowing the thousands of machines that Ariens built. Maybe Ariens should have just left their production numbers where they where at, and not tried to help out you New Englanders (again assuming that is where you are at being you do not indicate in your profile)

I have absolutely no association with Ariens, other than using their products since I was born from lawn mowers, to tillers, to snow blowers, and even snowmobiles, yes Ariens even produced snowmobiles.

In closing, I hope you get your issue resolved to your satisfaction, and I hope you stick around this forum to promote what ever product you get to replace your SHO 24.
Liftoff,

I appreciate what you wrote. I actually did know about this forum while doing research for my snow blower, and I will definitely stick around. As I've already stated the Husqvarana was my first choice as it had everything I needed and the reviews were great from what I read, but they like Ariens have already stopped production for this winter season. I could not find a local dealer nor could I get Lowes to ship me one as it would be coming direct from Husqvarna.

I also understand that there are unknowns here that "may have happened" after it left the factory. However, there was no damage to the package other than a small hole in the corner. I just don't think they test every single one of these units before they leave the factory, and that is an issue. Their QC department (if they have one) wouldn't know there was a problem with this unit not moving if they didn't test it.

Yes, I came on the forum with some frustration, but I also want people to know that Ariens may not be best especially when you see other issues people are experiencing as well. Let me say this, I was really excited to see the unit dropped off this morning but after the frustration dealing with it not operating and dealing with the dealer that excitement went away real fast. I have no problem spending money on superior products (I actually was thinking of getting the Honda 24" that is more expensive), but when they don't live up to what they are supposed to deliver then I am the first in line to make sure others know about my experience. Now I can't speak for Ariens customer service on this issue, but the dealer was definitely no help. I will wait for Ariens to contact me next week with anything they have to say, and I will report back with that. :)

1 - 20 of 143 Posts