Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
You're correct JT. That vid is painful to watch. I honestly believe he needs a little more common sense in operating his machine. I dunno... It's more an operator problem than equipment problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Seems like the cab is likely the problem..Its probably too much weight on the handlebars, making the front end too light. Yes, I understand it should work with the cab! ;) but the cab might be no good for this model and these conditions. He should try it without the cab..then, if it works perfectly without the cab, he can either go without the cab, or demand a refund from the dealer and/or Ariens, and get a different machine..

Scot

·
Registered
579 Posts
with drifting like that, it wouldn't hurt to put up some snow fencing - especially around the driveway area.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
I know exactly the conditions the guy in the vid is dealing with and learned the key is to get out there before the snow gets compacted.

Today is the first day that I haven't blown snow in the last 4 days and it hasn't snowed here in over a week. I'm dealing with wind-blown stuff and if I try to wait and do it once a day I have to resort to the "Peeling an Onion" method, which is working my way down through it with multiple passes and trying to break up the snow by kicking it while walking behind the blower.

Three days ago I let it go 24 hrs. since the depth's were nothing, something like 8-inches deep. That day the snow was so packed that even though I weigh 220 lbs. I couldn't even make a dent in the surface by jumping up & down on it and while kicking it while walking behind the blower it broke up in slabs that I thought would make good igloo building material if it was just a little thicker.

I've found that the hardest pass is the first and the day I waited to blow it took me close to 35 minutes of peeling the onion to do one width for about 100 yrds. After I get the first pass fairly good I take slow half passes so at least one skid is down by the base and I can break things up fairly good but still have to make multiple passes and let the tire (with chains) in "the open" weaken the "slab snow." There were times that the blower was throwing snow like crazy and it's like I disengaged the auger because I walked right up on it and my machine, all in, with weight kit, pro Armor Skids & tire chains weighs close to 375 lbs.

I was surprised that it appeared as if the fellow in the video kept making full width passes and with a 30" wide auger housing his weight is spread over a wider area than my 28" Pro Hydro is. I do have a 10 lb. weight kit on the front and may opt for another 10.

When it comes to having it plowed, it's something I will have done if things get too bad but try to prevent that at all costs. The piles produced by the plow are nothing more than drift generators and the drifts will be as high as the piles involved so, by blowing, I only, generally speaking, have to deal with depths based on the depth of snow and height of the drop off(s) along the side of the driveway.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Man that's terrible performance out of that new ariens. Those drifts seemed like light dry snow idk that would frustrate the heck out of me.

The guy is right for his application the older heavy long wheelbase blowers would work better then the new one. So much for advancing technology and performance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
The newer Ariens are different than the older 924s and older series and the new ones do have quicker chute turning and other great features like lights and heated handlebars
I have used a 924 series blower for years , i had the early model 91000 before that,yes, the newer models do roll up and work different
Maybe he should remove the weight and cover and try it the way it was made.
Lower the chute that’ll keep the snow out of your face.

Use it a few times,and hope he gets used to it.
If that does not work buy a refurbished / rebuilt older model like he had and at least get some enjoyment out of snowblowing.Poor guy put alot of effort into the video,and it was painful to watch and listen to it

I try the newer models too, after I service them,but I’d rather use my old 32” 924024 ,probably thats cause I’ve used it for 20 plus years
Sorry to see someone unhappy with an Ariens product, I like them.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Can he put chains on the tires of that snow caster and more weight on the front??

He's just in line for a heart attack of he keeps that up.

At least he should see about chains and if that does not work trade it for a tracked model with a weight kit.

·
Registered
654 Posts
His snowblowing technique is all wrong. Waited too long to get out there, too fast, should be feathering the drive , should be taking half buckets, should have his chute angled lower, should be going parrarel with the EOD, stop pressing on the handle bars, skids are set to high, blowing snow at his house, and get rid of the cab. Operator error!!!!!

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
I tend to agree with Russ and others... He's flopping around out there like a teenager on his first date.

Suspect some frozen drift under there, takes a slow approach and a steady hand. Not jabbing at it like... see above.

Also agree a heavier blower would be less of a chore, but in these days of thin tin watcha gonna do...?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Seems like the cab is likely the problem..Its probably too much weight on the handlebars, making the front end too light. Yes, I understand it should work with the cab! ;) but the cab might be no good for this model and these conditions. He should try it without the cab..then, if it works perfectly without the cab, he can either go without the cab, or demand a refund from the dealer and/or Ariens, and get a different machine..

Scot
Good advice Scot

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I have 24" Pro Ariens, the previous owner had a cab on it, with the weight bar up front. I though it's a 20 lb bar, but maybe not?

At any rate, I sold the cab, but kept the weight bar on it, which has helped hold the front of my machine down while going up my driveway's incline. When I'd pull up on the bars to hold the nose down, the tires wanted to spin, of course.

I've since added another 5 lbs up front, and like that even better. Agreed that he would seem to be better off with additional weight attached to the front, if he didn't want to remove the cab. And I've started thinking about ways to add additional weight at the wheels of my machine, for more traction, while hopefully not over-stressing the axle bearings, frame, etc.

I hope his issues can be at least somewhat resolved with minor machine tweaks, and technique adjustments.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just another example of someone blaming the tool for their own inadequate skill level. I'm sure this guy would bristle at my suggestion he doesn't know how to run snowblowers and he's had snowblowers for years and knows what he's doing! I've seen this a few times with various neighbors. They are convinced it's the machine whether it's a lawn tractor or a snowblower. Problem is now these guys have a place to vent that is seen by millions, YouTube. Sad the world we have become.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Just another example of someone blaming the tool for their own inadequate skill level. I'm sure this guy would bristle at my suggestion he doesn't know how to run snowblowers and he's had snowblowers for years and knows what he's doing! I've seen this a few times with various neighbors. They are convinced it's the machine whether it's a lawn tractor or a snowblower. Problem is now these guys have a place to vent that is seen by millions, YouTube. Sad the world we have become.
dont agree the guy had a 35 year old ariens that would chew through his drifts for years with a full bucket. now after spending tons of cash on a new ariens you want him to take half swipes and take twice as long to complete the same task.

anyone would be mad in that situation.

·
Registered
654 Posts
He may have bought the wrong machine for his situation. And yes, I don't care what the blower is, you have to take smaller bites depending on the situation.eg wet heavy snow, high drifts, EOD, packed snow, ice encrusted snow etc....

·
Registered
46 Posts
It almost looks like he's pushing down on the handles in parts of that video, which would obviously exacerbate the issue. I agree with a lot of posters here that technique may be an issue.

I don't doubt that older machines were designed with different weight distributions and such, making snow blowing a bit different than it is today with newer machines. I also don't doubt the gentleman in the video has years and years of experience. Sometimes, however, you need to adjust technique for the different tool at hand.

It looks like the snow is getting thrown a good distance. Again, as other's have stated:
*Remove cab and try, add front weight if necessary
*Re-position chute head so snow is not blowing where you don't want it
*Take half buckets or less than full
* adjust scraper bar and shoes

My neighbor has this model and we just got a tough storm here with hardened EOD mounds. I did not see him struggling like this.

·
Registered
982 Posts

Scot
I like Scot's logic. The machine is much the same as mine and it works perfectly in a higher gear and with same depth of EOD snow for a much longer distance. So the machine is not the problem. He is experienced in how to use a good performing machine but is struggling with the inadequacies of the machine setup. Seems right to address the cab as the main problem.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I like Scot's logic. The machine is much the same as mine and it works perfectly in a higher gear and with same depth of EOD snow for a much longer distance. So the machine is not the problem. He is experienced in how to use a good performing machine but is struggling with the inadequacies of the machine setup. Seems right to address the cab as the main problem.
I agree the machine needs chains or more weight on the front. I'm guessing he wants the cab to keep him out of the brutal wind.

He probably was used to older blowers with much more weight in front and longer wheelbase.

Look at this troy bilt I had one back in the day like this with chains and would never raise the bucket even in snow above the bucket or hard wet snow.

Blowers over the years have got lighter and shorter not ideal for keeping the bucket down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
Maybe he needs a Toro Powershift. I had one, no matter how hard you pressed down on the handles, the front end never came off the pavement. It was a beast to move when turning with the powershift engaged.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts