Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been eyeballing this Ariens 32" for a couple weeks on Marketplace. Finally got a chance to check it out and came to an agreement with the owner. The recoil was busted but the electric start did work. Carb had been screwed with and it didnt have spark. The rest of the machine was in very good shape. Very little rust, all bearing & bushings nice and tight. My plan is to do a Predator swap, already pulled the motor, i did one on a ST824 for a coworker and think it will work well with this one. I Remember seeing others that have done a similar swap and that the chute rotation linkage needs to rerouted. If anyone has done a similar swap please chime in. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
This is a B&S, but I also have a Predator on another one. Rerouting is no problem, as it actually improves it by putting a new rod off the universal by the chute, adding another eyebolt and knuckle universal, bringing the crank handle in nicely between the handles, where it should have always been in my opinion, right from the factory when it was new.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had to add about 6" of 3/8" rod off the sprocket bracket so it could be at the correct position to make the turn up. I made a bent metal bracket out of the metal you see in picture to support rod. It is better than new- very smooth turning. I bent it in vise with help of a hammer. I added a second universal joint so I could run the rod up to original handle position. Your modification will depend on the motor you decide on. Good luck! Nice machine!

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had to add about 6" of 3/8" rod off the sprocket bracket so it could be at the correct position to make the turn up. I made a bent metal bracket out of the metal you see in picture to support rod. It is better than new- very smooth turning. I bent it in vise with help of a hammer. I added a second universal joint so I could run the rod up to original handle position. Your modification will depend on the motor you decide on. Good luck! Nice machine!
Thank you very much! Just the information i was looking for!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Just the 212 Predator. At 100$ plus another 12$ or so for the 3/4 to 1" adapter its hard to go wrong

I may be way wrong but 212cc seems pretty small for 32" blower. Nice blower. It's a monster.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am thinking the same as @micah68 about the engine size.
A good ~200 cc engine makes around 4.4kW (6 hp). Most 32" blowers had or have at least 10 hp. ariens used a 9.7kW (13hp) tecumseh on theirs, I think?

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Back when this was new I think it would come with an 8hp. In my mind that's too small for what I've driven my 32s into. My 1332 Toro is about right. I'd at least try for a 10 hp on it or you might end up having a 32" bucket you can only take 2/3 rds of a cut with. The 212 Predator is a nice engine but it's not going to get it on a 32 IMHO.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get where you guys are coming from with saying that the "6.5HP Predator" is to small, but from the research I have done those motors are wayyyy underated and make gobs of power.
Check out this video this guy has done a similar swap and is very happy with it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nick, look, there's only so much power you can get from a 212 cc 4-cycle engine consumer engine. You'd be wise to follow the advice from experienced members on this board.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
That was Fearless Fronts machine if I remember correctly. Here's what you can do. Put on the 212 and try it.....if it works good, fine...if not, take smaller bites. I think it will work fine....and it is an easier swap then the bigger motors.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Something to consider is that Ariens sold a lot of those with 7 hp flatheads...a 212 OHV is a huge improvement over those. The 7 hp 1971 I got with the 32 inch bucket, I've never put in snow, but I bought it from the original owner and he was happy with it until it blew the auger gearbox.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I just watched the video, and that wasn't old Fearless's machine.....he has a video of the same swap, but he was blowing snow with his I believe.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've got a 32" 10000 series, same 910010 machine. I put an 10 hp Tecumseh on it and it works pretty well, though I always wonder if those Predators would've worked for me too.

One bummer I had with my machine was that it really needed a new scraper bar and the 32" ones are pricey for what they are. Other than that I just love it, total beast. Like any 30"+ machine, it does tend to "pull" on surfaces that are not completely even.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Swap in progress. Looks like its going to take minimal work to get the chute rotation linkage to fit. More to come

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
You might want to consider putting some nice XTrac on it and get rid of the lawn tires with chains.

BTW, I have that Predator on a 10M6 now for a few years .. works just great ...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Waiting on the 3/4 to 1" shaft adapter and then she'll be ready! Should be in tonight. Of course there isnt a single snowflake worth of snow in the forcast

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well done Nick, nice garage too.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts