Snowblower Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
The L3 gear oil that comes from the factory in modern Ariens auger gearbox is very thin and likely is responsible for leaking seals in the auger gearbox. I removed the L3 and added GL5 rear axle oil 75w-140 synthetic several years ago. No negative issues. My gearbox stays cold enough that snow never melts on it and no ice in the area either. I think older GL5 gear oil oxidized brass gears and fittings only when it got hot, so little chance of that in a snowblower auger gearbox. Ariens have used steel gears for years but may have soft metal bushings.

Modern GL5 gear oil in rear axle cars has a very long maintenance schedule of over 250,000 kilometers (155,000 miles) replacement under normal usage and no water contamination. In a snowblower it should be a lifetime fill unless seals fail.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'd far rather use a synth gear oil from an auto-parts store- definitely easier to get and cheaper. But at least for now I'll run OEM lube in there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The L3 gear oil that comes from the factory in modern Ariens auger gearbox is very thin and likely is responsible for leaking seals in the auger gearbox. I removed the L3 and added GL5 rear axle oil 75w-140 synthetic several years ago. No negative issues. My gearbox stays cold enough that snow never melts on it and no ice in the area either. I think older GL5 gear oil oxidized brass gears and fittings only when it got hot, so little chance of that in a snowblower auger gearbox. Ariens have used steel gears for years but may have soft metal bushings.

Modern GL5 gear oil in rear axle cars has a very long maintenance schedule of over 250,000 kilometers (155,000 miles) replacement under normal usage and no water contamination. In a snowblower it should be a lifetime fill unless seals fail.
75W-140 is thick in the summer, but thin in the winter. I used 75w-90 synthetic and it is pretty much the same thickness as your in the winter. It flowed like engine oil for me.

Walmart has 85W-140 gear oil, but it is not synthetic.

Anyway, the cure for leak is adding AT-205. I added it in and ran the auger for 15 minutes. It stopped the leak right away. You probably know, but for other people: even if you put in new seals, they can go bad after a year, or two years. The key is to make rubber stay flexible as long as possible.

Another reason why I like gear oil is that it helps lubricate the brass bushings. They last forever I think. I rarely saw anyone had to replace them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'd far rather use a synth gear oil from an auto-parts store- definitely easier to get and cheaper. But at least for now I'll run OEM lube in there.
OEM products aren't worth it for me a lot of time (especially in a snowblower). If you worry, change the oil once in a while. It should last a very long in there I think.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OEM products aren't worth it for me a lot of time (especially in a snowblower). If you worry, change the oil once in a while. It should last a very long in there I think.
OEM - was specifically in reference to Ariens L3 gear lube as it sounds like it has an infrequent change interval. Will stick w/ OEM there just to keep it simple for now.
I use a Mobil synth for the engine.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts