Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Ariens Hydro Pro 28" 420CC (non-EFI) snowblower was used approximately 5 hours this season.

Each cold start with the recoil resulted in violent pull back on the cord and ripped my fingers from the handle. Using the starter was the other solution but it appeared to struggle with that as well. Runs fine once started.

Now that warm weather is here, no such kick back occurs when pull starting? Literally, jumps right to life even with a mild pull on the rope and no pull back.

Any idea why this would be occurring? It is under warranty since I bought it as a new leftover last August but the issue is I cannot replicate the pull back issue unless it is sub-freeing temps!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Was it also more difficult to pull the cord when it was cold/temp?

I had a new CubCadet blower with a 357cc Powermore that behaved that way. The problem was a faulty compression release mechanism. Other than the pull back another symptom that I experienced was that it was also hard to pull.

Worked fine after the repair, which was done under warranty.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Another possibility @jeel is the starter dogs are not retracting quickly enough in the cold. Perhaps too heavy a grease or the return spring pre-tension is not strong enough.

If you remove the starter and check its operation in mild temperatures and then put it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for a day or two and test its operation in the cold. It may give you some clues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts