Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend gave me an Ariens 524 and said it needed some carb work. I took it to Twin Small Engine Repair in Northglenn, CO and they called me back saying it needed a carburetor that isn't sold anymore. They can't fix it but I owe $25 for their efforts.??? Uhhhh, how can there not be replacement parts for this?

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts
Welcome to SBF, Dave.
When you visit your Dr. you pay for the office visit whether he cures you or no. If I had an OPE repair shop I'd expect to be paid for my diagnosis time. $25 is peanuts. Happily pay it.
As to the problem... More info for those of us who need it. Can you provide the number from the engine? Heck, what engine is it? Briggs? Tecumseh or???.
"How can it there not be replacement parts?" ... Find me some replacement Studebaker 1955 Commander vent windows. How about a Jari handlebar? 57 Ford Fairlane 500 chrome diamond strips. Point is, that no company makes parts forever for every machine they produced. Try finding something as recent as a Kohler Magnum engine flywheel. Most, if not all of the parts are obsolete.
Take some pics, clear pics, and post them. Find ID tags and provide them. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
Its probably a Tecumseh engine, parts can be found, and carb rebuild kits are plentiful.
complete replacement carbs are also available.

the carb likely just needs a good cleaning, and maybe a rebuild kit.

I suspect the shop *could* technically work on it, they probably just dont want to.
Its like taking a 1970 Ford to a Ford dealership for work..they wouldn't know what to do with it,
no one there has ever seen one.

Tecumseh engines and carbs are easy to keep running, but some dealers might not want to work on them anymore..
so they just say "it cane be done".. it can be done, just not by them, in their mind its not worth their time to work on anything more than 20 years old.

You can also find smaller independent repair shops..the kind of guys who work out of their own home..
they will be able to work on it, if you don't want to do the work yourself.

The snowblower will have two sets of numbers that will help us figure out what you have:
1. An Ariens tag at the rear of the machine, with a model and serial number.
2. If its a Tecumseh engine, a data tag on the engine, also with model and serial numbers..
please post all the numbers you can fine, and we can go from there!

Scot

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
If it’s a Tecumseh made engine, Yes they went out in 2008 BUT replacement carbs are still being made for them and can be found on eBay for $10-$15, Pics of the blower and numbers as mentioned would be great to help ID what you have as Ariens made many models through the yrs that we’re known as a 524, those numbers just signify 5 hp 24” so that’s whey so many use the same numbers.

·
Premium Member
5,205 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Need a model # for the engine, it's probably on top of the pullcord shroud, if not on the left side bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts