Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking to replace my little single stage machine and I ran across this. Not sure on how old it is yet though from the pictures it looks like its in pretty good shape. What's the general consensus on these as far as reliability and replacement parts? Our winters here aren't too severe so I wouldn't be moving large drifts or anything. They're asking 450.
*Edit- just heard back from the fellow, its 5 years old.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I kind of thought the same thing but as long as it's in good shape mechanically I can wash it off when I get it home :wink2:
I'm sure it'll need all the standard stuff done to it anyway- oil, plug, carb, etc.
I just wish the picture with the nameplate was a little clearer so I could get the serial off it. Now to go take a look at it :hope:
At this age, would it have an American Tecumseh? From my reading here, it looks like some transitions happened about that time.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
First off it’s NOT 5 yrs old, It has a Later Tecumseh OHV engine so it’s from around 2007-08 would be my guess, If in excellent shape it would be $450 but I think it’s a little high but still a fair price.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
for 200 more asking i see a 926 ariens and a 11528 both much better machines
i was going to say it looks older then 5 myself the number on the white tag will tell you quickly before you drive for a liar seller

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for 200 more asking i see a 926 ariens and a 11528 both much better machines
i was going to say it looks older then 5 myself the number on the white tag will tell you quickly before you drive for a liar seller
My budget is $500.
Did you see those in Northern Colorado?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
this could be a steal at 200 looks to be in pretty good shape if it starts and all the controls work

https://denver.craigslist.org/grd/d/snowblower-ariens-926le-2007/6686471741.html

1 hr 15 min away for a better machine at 1/2 the asking price
no brainer if the machine is good
Yeah ya kinda got a point there I suppose. I saw both those but I was trying to keep it fairly close to home.
I figure any of these are gonna need a plug, oil, carb job, clean & lube at the least. And some minor adjustments.

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
I'd be in the car and half way there calling on that $200 926 if I were you. If it's in average condition ( looks to be in good shape) that's a really good deal.

On that 724 the fact he hasn't cleaned it might mean he's just wanting to move it down the road and you might get him down quite a bit. You could also ask for the model & serial number and we can find the year. He might honestly think it's 5 years old or that he's saying he's had it for 5 years which we all know is a whole different animal. But he could just be throwing out any number or lying.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd be in the car and half way there calling on that $200 926 if I were you. If it's in average condition ( looks to be in good shape) that's a really good deal.

On that 724 the fact he hasn't cleaned it might mean he's just wanting to move it down the road and you might get him down. You could also ask for the model & serial number and we can find the year. He might honestly think it's 5 years old or that he's saying he's had it for 5 years which we all know is a whole different animal. But he could just be throwing out any number or lying.
I'm leaning that direction K4F. I just heard back from him on the 926 and it sounds like it needs the standard carb clean out. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Evergreen.

·
Super Moderator
9,891 Posts
I'm the same way and a bit lazy so even though I'm cheap I'll pay more to not drive so far but that 926 looks to be a deal well worth the drive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, its not a really big deal, I just have to figure out a day to go, soon! It's about 50 minutes from our place to Denver then about another 45 to there. And I'll have to borrow the neighbors trailer since I don't have a pickup, but it'll give my wife and I a reason to get out of the house! Thanks to 1132le for the kick in the pants!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
people ALWAYS exaggerate how young a machine is. why are they selling?

$400 seems fair.( depending on inspection) a 724 is versatile than a bigger or smaller blower IMO.
I asked him for the model and serial number. We'll see...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks like a clean unit.I saw an Ariens ST 740 for sale on new haven craigslist for $400 also clean.A lot of clean name brand machines for $400-$600. Good luck with whatever you buy

·
Registered
230 Posts
that ariens 724 is a 200 dollar machine tops around here. tiny tires a 7hp engine a small impeller fan and a short bucket are a bad combination for our new england weather, especially since we get a lot of wet heavy snow around here. good for a tiny paved driveway i guess but not much else

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well we don't get snow like you guys in New England for sure! Usually 4 to 12 inches of powder, occasionally some wet stuff. So no real need of a big burly monster blower.

·
Registered
124 Posts
While I agree with the majority suggesting you negotiate for the more expensive machines... if you're stuck on your budget then you could offer a lowball price on the 724 and see what happens.
That being said, what I suggest -based upon your snowfall comments- is another single-stage; if you're willing to up your budget for a better two-stage then I think you should consider another single-stage. You just can't beat those lightweight wonders for moving snow quickly and easily, and they'll move more snow than many 'two-stage' guys want to admit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts