Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am working on replacing a bearing on my Ariens 824 snowblower. The bearing is on the friction drive assembly. When I install the new bearing the shaft is loose inside the bearing. It almost appears that the shaft needs to be shifted to the left more but it cant be moved.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Link to photo album
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AeKcStKZUau9hoeTA

·
Super Moderator
2,677 Posts
Is it possible the shaft wore from running in a worn out bearing? I've seen people replace a part like that with a used part, have a new one made or done things like having a shaft spray welded or put in a sleeve to build them up.

Whatever the solution is, it's one you will have to pick and decide on. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a brand new bearing in. It fits great on the larger diameter. Then the shaft has a relief ground into it on the backside.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Welcome to the forum! HCBPH's question still stands, I think. I've replaced that bearing on a 924 machine that was run too-long with the old bearing. The bearing got loose on the shaft, and wore the shaft's outside diameter down, so that the new bearing was still loose on the shaft. My shaft, at least, was not intentionally ground down, it was just worn down by the bad bearings.

And I saw it happen on another 924, but fortunately I noticed the rusted-solid bearings shortly after buying the machine. So the squeal while driving that I thought was a squeaky bearing, was actually the inner race of the bearing sliding against the outside diameter of the shaft. If I hadn't caught it, I would have caused the same thing, and they have worn grooves into the shafts on this machine too. They had started to, but were still just shiny areas with minimal wear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. I will order a new hex shaft and just replace it. Give me a good reason for a new friction disk as well.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
My apologies, I thought this bearing was for the axle shaft. I missed that it was for an intermediate shaft in the transmission. The same issues might still apply, but I'm sorry for some misleading personal experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help! I looked up a picture of the hex shaft (Part #03232900) and it has a consistent diameter across the end so that must be the problem. I just ordered a replacement shaft and friction disk to replace everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts