Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Anyone have an idea why the clutch lever would pop out and drop down obviously stopping the augers and impeller from turning? For some reason, that is what is happening with my machine.
Could it possibly be too much tension on the belt? :confused:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Anyone have an idea why the clutch lever would pop out and drop down obviously stopping the augers and impeller from turning?
I'm afraid we might more specifics one the pop out and drop down and some pics if available?

·
Registered
407 Posts
If I recall- Don't you have a early Ariens? (or was it JD)- If two levers then 'maybe' the clutch lever isn't staying in place due to weak or off spring? I don't recall for sure, but think the clutch lever has a spring to it ?.. Others may know- but need the blower detail.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Keilbasa,

I had the same thing occurring on my 10m5. To make a short story long, I'll tell you the steps that I took.

1. replaced the 50 year old clutch lever spring - no joy $15 dollars :(
2. replaced the belt - sure needed it but didn't help however...
3. when I was changing the belt I noticed the idler pulley bearing had a TON of play
4. I replaced the pulley and tightened the arm down so it aligned with the sheave and all is good.

Hope this helps!

Harry

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I replaced the spring in 2011
I upgraded to a 1/2" wide belt when I repowered in 2011

I will check the pulley, but I am (almost).......... sure that it is okay.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Didn't replace belt again recently did you? If did, maybe size smaller and lever not traveling over pivot point enough.. that's just a 'long' shot and then not sure it would apply. I,m really scratching my head on this one. Strange it would just start doing it unless something wore bad or broke.. Keep us posted what you find.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is what I tried this afternoon.

I checked the tensioner idler pulley bearing. It is tight. No slop. Believe it or not, I spray lube it every summer. The bracket that the pulley is mounted to does go back and forth, meaning say to the front of the machine and to the back. It has always done that since I can remember.

I started the machine and lifted the lever. Everything seemed to be turning okay. I dropped the lever and the belt did it's usual slight hop and the fingers kept the belt from jumping off.

I even took the machine and bounced the bucket on the ground and shook the machine side to side. No let go of the lever. I even moved the bracket holding the pulley back and forth and no let go.

The tension does not seem to be too tight.

Now when I repowered her. The new engines shaft alignment is just like the old Tecumsehs. Same height, length and everything. I did change over to a 1/2" belt from a 3/8". Same 2 1/2" diameter sheave. I bought the same length belt in 1/2" but it was too tight with the tensioner pulley ajusted all the way out. The augers would still slightly turn. So I went 1/2" longer with the belt. It was fine. When I let off the tension. The augers slow down and the belt acts just the way it should with the fingers keeping the belt in place.

Now about two years ago during a heavy wet storm, I swear that she wasn't throwing that far. So I checked the tensioner pulley. I swear it was where it was when I repowered her. Because I marked it. But When I did check the belt for tension with the tension on, I could spin the belt, so I moved the pulley over. It is just about all the way over. My first thought was that the belt stretched, but I took the belt off and compared it to a new belt and they were the same.

:confused:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had no problems with the lever during yesterdays storm. While I was glad, it still leaves me dumb founded. Makes no sense. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
What Chute is that? I'd like to mod my 10000 series to a higher chute, the snow piles this year are getting hard to throw over stock.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a 15" chute that came off of a 8/24 machine I believe. I am not sure of the part number, sorry. I bought it from a used Ariens part guy. Over this past summer I used the original 11" chute that my machine came with and I fit it to the upper part of the 15" chute. I gained a length of about 7" or so. It does **** pretty well. It is basically an experiment.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had no problems with the lever during yesterdays storm. While I was glad, it still leaves me dumb founded. Makes no sense. :)
I can't fully picture the original description you gave, but it may be possible that something froze up. I've been out in the same storms as you; they have been cold and I'm sure you were out there a while. I have something in my drive mechanism that I believe freezes up in between uses. Usually it only takes one or two squeezes of the drive lever to engage for the first time, but just tonight I went to clear a path and my drive would not engage at any speed. Of course, once I got down on the garage floor and pulled the bottom panel it was engaging. I think the mechanism had froze. Everything worked fine after that.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always leave the 2 knuckles engaged and use the tensioner pulley lever as needed for engaging the augers. I do not like that slapping of the knuckles when they need to find the correct spot to engage. And if I do need to separate them, I always keep them aligned so that when I do need to engage them they will fit in to each other with no slapping............... so to speak.

There could have been some kind of build as you mention. I did leave her out in the sun for about an hour yesterday to melt what ever snow was left on her from the previous storm, So we will see how she operates during the next storm.

I am getting some snow falling down the chute towards the belt cover when the defector is turned down all the way. I never recall this happening when using the original deflector, I might have to do a little trouble shooting and see if the original deflector is designed the same way.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I am getting some snow falling down the chute towards the belt cover when the defector is turned down all the way. I never recall this happening when using the original deflector, I might have to do a little trouble shooting and see if the original deflector is designed the same way.
I have used a late 70s and an early 80s, both with the short chutes, and can say then when pointed down more snow that I like will shoot out past that gap in the back. I have heard of people fabricating a little flap back there to cover that gap. A chute liner that goes up towards the deflector would help.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Back to having the lever popping out and dropping down on me again.

No sooner than putting the augers in gear, the handle is dropping down on me.

I have no clue on what is going on here. I had to tie a piece of rope around the two bars to keep the handle from dropping down. I hated to do that because I am not a fan of doing things like this. Meaning making something work against it's will.

I want to say that I did lube these parts/area over the summer when I did the maintenance. Maybe that was a mistake?

Was there more than one type of spring for this lever? Could the spring be too strong? Or maybe the parts guy gave me the incorrect spring?

This has to get resolved.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Back to having the lever popping out and dropping down on me again.

No sooner than putting the augers in gear, the handle is dropping down on me.

I have no clue on what is going on here. I had to tie a piece of rope around the two bars to keep the handle from dropping down. I hated to do that because I am not a fan of doing things like this. Meaning making something work against it's will.

Could the rounded out cut on the lever bar be worn out or something? I want to say that I did throw some lube on that area over the supper when I did the maintenance. Maybe that was a no/no? I just wanted to keep catching part lubed.

Were there more than one type of spring for this lever? Could the spring be too strong? Or maybe the parts guy gave me the incorrect spring?

This has to get resolved.
I had the same prob on my 910954 tractor and 910995 32"bucket when the original 7 hp tech engine gave up and I put a 5hp b&s tiller engine that I had as replacement (same shaft height). the auger handle would pop down as soon as I started to use it. same spring ,and I always put a little lube on the pivoting points. should be one or both of these two issues. not sure which one solved the auger handle from popping down ,as I did both at the same time but it did fix it and I went through all last winter without any problem with all the snow we had.... 1). the belt is just a little to tight even though it seems right. I decreased the tension on the belt just a little thinking it would be to loose.. and 2). the rpm is just a tad to fast. (I lowered the rpm a very small amount). again this fixed it for me, weather it was the combination of the 2 or just one I don't know for sure. but it did fix it and I have not had that issue again..................the only thing I did before this happened was to swap the engine. same mounting holes, just used longer bolts where the studs were, same engine sheeve off the original tech engine, same spring , same belt ect..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Referring to Kielbasa's mention of over lubing. Does anyone know the answer to his question? Also-when I had the bottom cover off,greasing the chain etc.,I put some lithium grease on the ends of two round parts (they drive the auger shaft). Will a little grease make them slip,when they engage to each other? Or is this harmless. Mine is a Ariens 910995 model.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I wonder if somehow there is enough heat before the snow enters a pulley area somehow and starts to build up and throw things off....? just thinking out loud here...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts