Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, and thanks for having me. Well my friends grandparents are having to down size and moving to a condo, so they have their snowblower up for sale. It’s a 926 dle. From what I can see it’s appears to be in great shape. Can somebody tell me the pros and con to this machine? (Years produced, ect.) My current snow blower is A John Deere 826, so that’s what I’m used to. I was planing on buying a new Ariens this winter to replace the JD. They’re asking 400.00. Maybe I’ll just buy this one if it’s not a bad deal. Is 400.00 fair? I’m not sure. Btw I like doing my own maintenance and repairs. I think I’m rambling now. You input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Joe. Here are the numbers on the machine model# 924124-st926dle Ser.#006867.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Welcome 66f250!

That machine is at least 16 years old if not older. $400 is a fair price in the dead of winter but now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It may be an older machine, but if it is in good shape, it may be worth it. I assume that they took good care of it as far as oil changes and not allowing it to rust badly.

They may even give you a little better price if you expressed interest in it. Chances are if they are asking 400, they planned on negotiating it down a little anyway.

But ask yourself, could you live without it if you didn't buy it at that price?

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
If you could post photos of the machine it would give a better indication of condition and value.
The 926 DLE was the top of the line Pro series for that vintage of machine. The last year of production of the 924 series was 2004.
The $400.00 asking price is fair if the machine is in great condition and fully operational, but it is a buyers market this time of year so you may be able to negotiate a lower price.
Attached is the manual for this machine

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went ahead and Bought for 300.00. I think it was a fair deal. Thanks for all the input. As soon as I pick it up I’ll post pics. I’m a preventative, not a reactive person. So what are some of the cons to this machine, and If it hasn’t already been done. What should I go ahead replace so I’m not doing it in the middle of a Wisconsin winter. Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It sounds like you got a decent deal at $300. It will probably serve you well for many years if you take good care of it. I would say the first thing would be to change the oil and see how it looks. Then maybe drop the bowl on the carb to make sure there is no junk floating around in there. Then maybe check out the belts and the tension on them. It may also be good to see how the skids / scraper bar look. I would upgrade now if you wanted to put poly / roller skids on.

It sounds like a lot, but most likely you won't have to do too much to the machine other than that.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Look in the stick post for my "Snowblower Checklist".

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Very clean machine, well bought.

Appears to have seen little use for it's age. I would inspect the axle bushings/bearings and impeller bearing, but I bet they are fine.

Change the oil and lube the tractor internals and auger shafts as per the manual and it should be ready to handle whatever mother nature throughs at you this winter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This fall I’ll split it apart and if needed I’ll replace any bushings/bearings as needed. Inspect and replace belts, oil, lube, ect. Now I have my John Deere’s (826-1032) out of the shed. Going to go through those and put them up for sale.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Might want to keep one as a spare, you never know? ... :)
Well now you sound like my old lady. She said the same thing. I’ve always kept a spare everything. Mowers, snowblowers, cars, trucks, whatever. I was trying to change my ways. I guess not today.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That machine you just got looks fantastic, you got a great deal. You are lucky to have your "old lady" (your words, not mine). Most of us would be told the opposite, something like "Get rid of all that junk!"

I would keep at least one of the JD blowers unless you can sell them for a really high price (like just before a major snowstorm). No need to simply unload them for cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That machine you just got looks fantastic, you got a great deal. You are lucky to have your "old lady" (your words, not mine). Most of us would be told the opposite, something like "Get rid of all that junk!"

I would keep at least one of the JD blowers unless you can sell them for a really high price (like just before a major snowstorm). No need to simply unload them for cheap.
Oh trust me she’s on me plenty about getting rid of (in her eyes) crap. Well here are my two JD’s 826 & 1032 ready to to my buddies so we can get them ready for winter. Then sell. Maybe.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts