Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have an Ariens 926LE since many years and modified it a bit, It has taller wheels and a 305CC B&S motor. As I need a small snowblower which must throw snow far away, I decided to keep it and will mod it again. I got a Honda GX390 motor and I will change the impeller sheave from 2.75 to 3.25 inches. As the Honda GX390 shaft will be 1 inch higher than the B&S engine, the stock plastic housing will not fit with the Honda engine.

Is there another plastic housing from another Ariens model I could buy which will fit with the Honda engine ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
If you are looking for distance, the best bang for your buck would be to add an impeller kit to your existing impeller, and keep your Briggs engine, and then smile. No need to go with a Honda engine or the bigger pulley. How far are you trying to move the snow ? As they say, Keep it Simple.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
:welcome: to SBF legarem

I would doubt there would be anything ready made but that's just a guess. Might not be too difficult to make a spacer out of some sheet steel to raise the current housing. Just depends on if the width gives you enough clearance for the bigger pulley.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have in hand a Honda GX390 brand new. I installed it on my Ariens this afternoon. I have to wait to receive my bigger pulley. Impeller kit is cheduled later when i'll change the impeller bearing. Here is the result I want here:

I will never do that with my BS motor. Since I have a metal roof, snow falling from it is hard and heavy to throw away.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was my next question as I heard there's something to modify with GX engines to use them in winter. Any information to do that ?

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
This was my next question as I heard there's something to modify with GX engines to use them in winter. Any information to do that ?
If I was buying a new GX engine for a snowblower I'd buy a snowblower engine, they are sold through dealers as complete snowblower replacement engine.
A lot of people have been successful using general purpose GX engines (and predators 212cc) but a winter engine or snowblower engine has various differences including covered fan shroud and pull start, non-air filter air intake system, throttle and governor covering to prevent freezing, "anti-icing" kit and probably different jetting.
Some general purpose GX engines also do not have a charge coil.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
You'd want to remove the air filter. Isn't much dust in the air in winter and if left in place it can ice up and kill the engine.
Make a box of some sort to protect the carb and linkage from snow. If it has a way to take in warm air from the head or side of the engine all the better.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at the carburator specs for a GX390 and a HS1332

Gx390 has a # 95 main jet and the motor on the HS1332 has a main jet #102. Pilot jet are the same. I was wondering if the main jet difference is for air temperature compensation or because HS1332 motor doesn't have any air filter ? I don't like the idea to run a motor without an air filter. I thought using only the stock foam air filter installed in the GX390 (opening the paper filter). Hot inlet tube shouldn't be very hard to fit with the stock airbox.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
look up the largest snowblower in that series that ariens made. i have a 924044 1032 with a predator gx390 clone and i had the same issues. turns out for the largest machine in the 924 series family the st1236 they made belt cover risers which worked perfectly on my blower

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
I have ran my Predator and Greyhound engines with the stock air filters with no issues.
Did you fabricate something to trap some of the heat off the engine ??

Legarem, You can run a filter if you want but if you go look at new snowblowers they won't have one. There just isn't much dirt in the air when everything is covered with a foot or two of snow.
If your GX presently has an air filter setup it's likely a smaller jet for non-winter operation. But that's just a guess, not a fact. It's only about a 6% difference so you can always try it out and if it's hunting in cold weather when not under load or you think the power is not what it should be, swap to a bigger jet.

I always get a kick out of seeing a rototiller re-powered with a snowblower engine and knowing how much dirt and grit it's been sucking in !!! Most people buying a cheap tiller likely never think of it not having a filter :surprise:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
look up the largest snowblower in that series that ariens made. i have a 924044 1032 with a predator gx390 clone and i had the same issues. turns out for the largest machine in the 924 series family the st1236 they made belt cover risers which worked perfectly on my blower
Great !

I tried to find this part number but don't see it in parts diagram. Unfortunatly, they don't show the motor with surrounding parts for this model.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I believe our forum member Shaw351 showed some belt cover raiser brackets a few weeks ago that I think may work to clear the pulley in your case. Maybe he'll chime in soon....

·
Premium Member
496 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Here are a few of Shaw351 belt cover raiser brackets from his thread.

Looks like you need just one raiser in the right side of the cover (looking from the handle bars side).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Motor was installed today with new pulley straps etc. With the bigger pulley, I had to modify the tensioner so I could adjust the double roller wheel to give less belt tension. I placed the plastic bell housing so it was attached like it was at the left. I made a metal extension to attach it at right, There's near 1 inch of unprotected crack with the bell housing at right.

Do this plastic cover just there for user protection or it must be tight so no snow can go inside on the pulleys and straps ?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 39 Posts